Lafourche Merchant Marine School

What is the word on the Lafourche Merchant Marine school in Raceland?

Someone’s attempt at scamming money from unsuspecting FNG’s I guess. Never heard of it.

They’ve been around a little while. They were in Larose and moved up to Raceland. Not sure how many USCG approved classes they have at this time. You should be able to go to the National Maritime Center’s website and see what approved classes they have. Depends on what you’re going for. I would not mes with the for Upper Lever stuff. They used to have Oceans and 200 stuff and below, along with Radar. I live relatively close to the school them but have not used them in a very long time.

They’ve been around since at least the 1980s and had an excellent reputation. Haven’t heard anything the last few years.

Hmmmmm… Still sounds like a subsidiary of Flyby Night Industries.

This school only offers classes such as :
Apprentice mate steersman (Master of Towing) (every 3 weeks)
Radar (1 week)
100/200 ton Capt. (2 weeks)
Celestial (few times a year)
No STCW classes
They are associated with Gulf Coast Mariners Association.
No website.
School is owned by Ray Adams with Crowley Marine.
They have been open since the 80’s.
Many of these guys stay at my B&B while taking classes, also.
Hope this helps a bit.
Claudette L. Pitre
A Chateau on the Bayou B&B

[QUOTE=A Chateau on the Bayou;68617]
School is owned by Ray Adams with Crowley Marine.
[/QUOTE]

I thought Ray (Adams) and Penny had sold out a few years back?

First time I took flashing light was at this school. It was a small place just North of 90 in Raceland.

[QUOTE=CaptRob1;68620]I thought Ray (Adams) and Penny had sold out a few years back?[/QUOTE]

Penny nows runs LMM.
My understanding was that Penny and her family took over running it.
Not sure about exact details with Ray Adams.

I live relatively close to the school them but have not used them in a very long time.

FYI

From the NMC website, this is the list of USCG approved courses offered by LaFourche:

LaFourche Merchant Marine Training Services
985-537-1222
ABLE SEAMAN
APPRENTICE MATE (STEERSMAN)
APPRENTICE MATE (STEERSMAN) WESTERN RIVERS NAVIGATION
CELESTIAL NAVIGATION (OPERATIONAL LEVEL)
DECK GENERAL SUPPLEMENTAL
MASTER 100 TONS (80-HOUR)
NAVIGATION GENERAL SUPPLEMENTAL
RADAR OBSERVER (UNLIMITED)
RADAR OBSERVER RECERTIFICATION
UPGRADE MASTER 100 TONS TO MASTER 200 TONS

Thanks to everyone who provided info about this school.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;68606]Hmmmmm… Still sounds like a subsidiary of Flyby Night Industries.[/QUOTE]

This is your second negative comment about the school. As an alumnus of Lafourche Merchant Marine Academy, I am curious why you insist on disparaging the school.

The OP asked what the word was.on this place. Having been working here for almost 20 years I have never heard of it. Nor have I ever had the privilege of working with a graduate that I know of. My first assumption was it was some huckster making an attempt to prey on unsuspecting seaman. Then someone said it was an old school thought to be out of business. My next assumption was an even shrewder huckster using a recognized name to prey on unsuspecting seaman. If I was out of line or disrespectful I apologize. I’m just wary of “schools” like that or these unscrupulous headhunters. When times are good as they are now these bottom feeders come out of the woodwork to make a quick buck.

They used to have Oceans and 200 stuff and below, along with Radar