Japan whaling fleet

[QUOTE=ombugge;182045]You mean that ALL Asians are the same race?[/QUOTE]

When used to describe race it is a colloquialism for the race technically known as Mongoloid. Not everyone living on the continent of Asia is that race, no.

Just because people are highly educated doesn’t necessarily make them enlightened. Example is a liveleak video I saw the other day of a guy on a moped in China that got run over in the middle of an busy intersection. Nobody stopped to help the guy out. Even in some of the busiest cities in North America I find it hard to believe you would see that kind of detached apathy.

[QUOTE=Quimby;182053]Just because people are highly educated doesn’t necessarily make them enlightened. Example is a liveleak video I saw the other day of a guy on a moped in China that got run over in the middle of an busy intersection. Nobody stopped to help the guy out. Even in some of the busiest cities in North America I find it hard to believe you would see that kind of detached apathy.[/QUOTE]

That’s funny, just the other day I watched a liveleak video of a road rage incident in USA where one guy shot the other one. I find it hard to believe such savagery would exist in a enlightened country.

I don’t think those two instances are parallel in anyway, but I do admit no one country is less guilty of raping the planet than the other. They just have fewer people that do it.

[QUOTE=Quimby;182055]I don’t think those two instances are parallel in anyway, but I do admit no one country is less guilty of raping the planet than the other. They just have fewer people that do it.[/QUOTE]

Ain’t that the truth. 350 mill people can manage to pollute the planet nearly as much as 1.4 Bill. and then blame the others for the problems it causes.

Maybe we should get back on track here.
The latest best estimate of Minke whales in the Southern Ocean from the IWC:

MINKE WHALES, Southern Hemisphere 1992/93-2003/04: 515,000 animals

The Japanese took out 333 animals in 2015/16 season, of which abt. 200 were pregnant females, counting double, for a grand total of 533.
The number of pregnant females prove that the species is healthy and thriving. Nobody is claiming that it is threatened in any manner.
Could it be that the opposition to hunting this species is based on a strange feelings not facts?
Why is it that it is so wrong to eat whale meat, while all manners of animals are hunted and eaten?? (Including some “strange” species, like Armadillos, snakes etc.)

[QUOTE=ombugge;182059]Could it be that the opposition to hunting this species is based on a strange feelings not facts?
Why is it that it is so wrong to eat whale meat, while all manners of animals are hunted and eaten?? (Including some “strange” species, like Armadillos, snakes etc.)[/QUOTE]

perhaps it is true that some react from emotion with regards to this subject however I know if no species of “wild” mammal that his hunted to be food by industrial methods. Some mammals are raised by man to be slaughtered as food but that does not include whales and considering the fact that they are rather defenseless against men with ships fitted with harpoons does not make the killing of them very palatable for most humans other than Faroese, Norwegians or Japanese. I for one do not feel that the killing of pregnant female whales to be very justified for ANY reason. Pregnant deer are not allowed to be hunted! Here I am must say I agree with the Sea Shepard Society.

with that said…I still believe Paul Watson is a PHAT PHUCKING PHRAUD!

[QUOTE=c.captain;182064]with that said…I still believe Paul Watson is a PHAT PHUCKING PHRAUD![/QUOTE]

You don’t fool me. Im sure you are Paul Watson undercover.

After watching “The Cove” I can see supporting Sea Shepherd Society or similar organization.

I’m of the belief that if it’s ok to eat one or another kind of animal, it’s ok to eat any of them, except pets. Regardless of what Seaworld says whales are not pets so therefor it must be acceptable to eat them. I don’t know that I’d want to try it, frankly I think it’d taste pretty gamey and gross, but if that’s someone’s thing then good for them.

However, having said that, the global whale population has suffered over the last few centuries and needs to be tended carefully. That does not mean zero consumption, it means careful consumption. Maybe 333 whales harvested is a burden on the global population, maybe it isn’t, I’m not a whale biologist so I have no idea. What I think is that whale harvesting should be treated like any other wild game. There should be size minimums/maximums, whatever the biologists at the UN decide, and a “bag limit” set every year. Maybe this is akin to what they already have in place, maybe it’s what needs to be implemented, I don’t know, it’s just my two cents.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;182068]I don’t know that I’d want to try it, frankly I think it’d taste pretty gamey and gross, but if that’s someone’s thing then good for them.[/QUOTE]

It’s delicious. But it is very important that it is prepared properly.

[QUOTE=Kraken;182066]You don’t fool me. Im sure you are Paul Watson undercover.[/QUOTE]

mmmm…gotta love that unborn baby whale stew!

they planet can get by just fine without slaughtering one whale…HELL, bet these food scientists could come up with a pretty damned close faux whale blubber made from tofu. Probably not much difference in texture?

[QUOTE=Kraken;182070]It’s delicious. But it is very important that it is prepared properly.[/QUOTE]

//youtu.be/-eHr-9_6hCg

The cause of extinction and endagered species in modern times is often hunting for aphrodisiacs for some BS tradition in countries that tend to be in the ASIA part of the world. Shark fin soup? Hmm, yeah it’s the Venezuelans killing all the sharks. Who does most of the illegal industrial over-fishing? How about dump lots of nuclear water into the ocean? hmmmm. Kill the rhinos so they can get wood (in their pants).

[QUOTE=Kraken;182046]http://global.britannica.com/topic/race-human

http://www.census.gov/glossary/#term_Race

Im not going into a discussion about this, we are literally an ocean apart on this subject.[/QUOTE]

You know, all of that really is not the point or even in the same wheelhouse. We can get into subbranches of semantics in terms of race and/or ethnicity definitions, to no avail. The subject is so diverse, affirmative action scholars study their entire life on the subject. There is less than a zero chance of agreement between ourselves (of various cultures) in this subject matter - all of which was not my intention. And not getting into that discussion is wise on your part. It is pointless.

The point was not all these technicalities, but rather the perception by those that would or could be offended by such general derogatory statements. And yes, Asian is perceived to be a race, and it really does not matter if you think differently about it, which is more or less a sideshow to those that took comments in a negative manner.

Some years ago, I got my sister’s fiance a job interview offshore. Really good guy. He was from Cape Town,SA and just became a US naturalized citizen (studied like hell for the history and geography exam), and was so happy when he got his documentation, and wanted to work offshore like me. I think he waiting nearly 4 years for citizenship. Anyway, during the application process (and by the way he was Caucasian), there is a part on the application where you can select race, and he checked “African American”. He was technically correct, actually about as factual as you can be. But, as previously mentioned,it is a matter of perception - by others, not yourself in most cases. I saw the post about Asians as a perfect example of this. Too bad the actual point was missed entirely. I did get a call from the office wanting to know if my future brother-n-law knew he was a “white” guy, kinda tongue and cheek. I thought it was actually pretty funny at the time after explaining.

Still, the post was just WRONG - about as simple as I can put it in plain words.

[QUOTE=Kraken;182070]It’s delicious. But it is very important that it is prepared properly.[/QUOTE]

Yep, been on several Norwegian flagged vessels and most times whale was on the menu. I fish all the time, and eat fish regularly, but never could bring myself to eating whale. Maybe just a preconceived notion of watching too much geography/history channel. Such magnificent creatures. I suppose there is more comfort in cows, pigs, and chicken - easier to count so you don’t kill them all.

[QUOTE=anchorman;182076]Snip…[/QUOTE]
Yes, I am aware that you have a peculiar view on races in USA. And I will C&D.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=anchorman;182078]Yep, been on several Norwegian flagged vessels and most times whale was on the menu. I fish all the time, and eat fish regularly, but never could bring myself to eating whale. Maybe just a preconceived notion of watching too much geography/history channel. Such magnificent creatures. I suppose there is more comfort in cows, pigs, and chicken - easier to count so you don’t kill them all.[/QUOTE]

Never heard about when in Rome? :smiley:

[QUOTE=anchorman;182076]I did get a call from the office wanting to know if my future brother-n-law knew he was a “white” guy[/QUOTE]

Forms nowadays usually say “African American / Black” to avoid that, but that’s a great example of why “African American” is a completely BS term by the PC police. If you or your parents were born in Africa them you can call yourself that but you sure as hell can’t tell if they are African or American by looking at them.

[QUOTE=Kraken;182079]

• Updated - - -

Never heard about when in Rome? :D[/QUOTE]

I stopped exploring “new” foods after my Durian experience in Singapore a few years back. Once I get that smell off, maybe I will try whale.