Jade

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection is beefing up its enforcement of the Jones Act with the creation of a special division strictly to handle Jones Act issues as they arise.
The CBP says the mission of the new division, called the National Jones Act Division of Enforcement (JADE), is to assist CBP and industry partners on issues concerning coastwise trade, with the goal of being a clearinghouse for all coastwise trade issues.
“The JADE will work in partnership with industry stakeholders in the enforcement of the Jones Act, along with all other coastwise trade laws,” the CBP said in their announcement of the new division. “As an advocate for coastwise trade, the JADE be available for outreach presentations to industry partners on the subject of coastwise trade.”
JADE will be located in New Orleans and staffed by a team of subject matter experts, according to the CBP.
To assist with enforcement, the CBP has set up a dedicated inbox for individuals to report suspected violations of coastwise trade through the existing e-Allegation portal.

Full Story

CCaptain should be nominated as Chief of JADE, no?

1 Like

Lol definitely seems like a dream job for him…and I don’t mean in a bad way!

From Fairplay today: http://fairplay.ihs.com/safety-regulation/article/4272141/tanker-trades-wary-of-new-jones-act-enforcement-scheme?utm_source=email&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=dailynewswire&mgs1=98benvALOB

Let’s hope JADE won’t be the maritime version of the catch and release program that CBP is currently stuck with when they catch illegal aliens after they’ve crossed the border.

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;187611]Let’s hope JADE won’t be the maritime version of the catch and release program that CBP is currently stuck with when they catch illegal aliens after they’ve crossed the border.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that. CBP is bound by laws which are written and passed by congress and their special friends. JADE will not do much at all. Neither immigration nor Jones Act loopholes will be changed because the people that profit by both run the country and make the laws.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;187613]Good luck with that. CBP is bound by laws which are written and passed by congress and their special friends. JADE will not do much at all. Neither immigration nor Jones Act loopholes will be changed because the people that profit by both run the country and make the laws.[/QUOTE]

You mean all those nasty Norwegians with their fancy boats will not have to go home?

[QUOTE=ombugge;187614]You mean all those nasty Norwegians with their fancy boats will not have to go home?[/QUOTE]

Nope, not going to happen. The people that hire them make the rules and the US companies aren’t offering up an alternative competitive product to bolster their case. Suits me, when passing thru the New Orleans airport at least the Norwegians on crew change can afford to buy me a drink, unlike the few remaining US guys who are holding on to every last cent not knowing if it’ll be their last. Even if laid off Norwegians do OK for awhile, US guys know they’ll be poverty stricken immediately.

[QUOTE=ombugge;187614]You mean all those nasty Norwegians with their fancy boats will not have to go home?[/QUOTE]

No worries, Tengineer is right. I expect it will be business as usual: smoke and mirrors designed to make your average taxpayer feel all warm and fuzzy while accomplishing little else. After 9/11, I felt a duty to do something. Too old for the military, I signed on with US Customs as it began to morph into CBP with Immigration. My application was based on my maritime background and familiarity with ships and ports. After 4 months of training at the Customs Academy, I was assigned not to the seaport as I had been told but to the airport where I sat in a booth stamping passports . I was moved to the seaport a year later but after another year of participating in the dog and pony show, I was disgusted and went back to sea.

[QUOTE=lm1883;187618]JADE will will most likely be the point of contact for an expedited waiver process.[/QUOTE]

It seems like they said it themselves; instead of being a Division of Enforcement it will be a division of enforcement of the Jones Act.