It’s a Snowflake Blizzard at Camp Sunny Maritime

We recently had a close call and our snowflake of a 3/m froze like a squarrel in the headlights! Then I go to his school’s twitter account and I figure out why.

These photos are from the schools summer bootcamp taken this week.

Then I reach out to a schuyler shipmate and he says the photos they pulled off twitter are much worse.

WTF is going on at that school??

I sent these photos to my marine supt and asked him to stop hiring SUNY cadets until they get their act together. He agreeded.

Apparently the beachball isn’t from summer indoc but, yes, the other photos are embarrassing.

Fortunately it looks like they locked things up for the final day.

Pretty harsh and petty to punish graduates based on photos from a two week make-believe military boot camp and an experience with a newly minted third. I’d expect more from a professional in this industry, but then again maybe not. Your green third mate has more than likely limited time on the bridge of a real working vessel. It is your job as a superior officer to make him comfortable in those situations. It is also very unlikely that you came out of school or up the pipe knowing everything and ready for any situation. The prudent thing to do for your mate would be to ask for help when needed and not expect to be ridiculed in the process. The best officers are also great teachers willing to share their knowledge.
That said, I can’t remember ever laying down on ground or smiling during Indoc.

Well maybe not smiling, but laying on your back doing 6 inch leg lifts while being screamed at to not ‘eyeball’ the IDO’s rings a bell.

I think you may be cherry picking your photos… SUNY Maritime

They are all the same. It’s society, not any particular school.

Edit: To add more to my post, I don’t blame the students at all. In any group, there are of course lazy and hopeless. However, and I speak from personal experience, when given a little guidence and set free to complete a task without helicopter-parenting these young minds are used to, they do well 85% of the time.

Students today have not been forced to think. The are not allowed to make mistakes and learn. They often fear so much of screwing up, that instead of trying to complete a task by using common sense, they stop and ask how to do it. And, too often, the teacher tells them step-by-step instead of merely providing a nudge in the correct direction.

Also, teachers have become terrible lazy. Powerpoint has ruined the learning process and created sloppy instructors.

Pretty unprofessional if you base the quality of all licensed officers coming out of SUNYMC on the photos from a couple days of indoc. They have four years to learn the trade and another year or so after to cut their teeth in the industry and “shake the green” off.

I don’t know or care where you work, but frankly it sounds like you and your Marine Supt. are a couple of morons. Look at the people graduating or who already graduated when you make these kinds of decisions, and only on an individual basis… not at 4/c cadets in day three of indoc.

Heck, many of those you see in that photo won’t even graduate let alone make it to cruise. Gimme a freaking break… it’s bad enough one of our less gifted graduates posted these pics to the alumni Facebook group as if he is any authority on the subject of training standards.

Its your fault, you didnt challenge him enough.

Suny like the rest of the schools teach you very little. About 10% of the curriculum is actually useful after passing license.

Its expected that you learn the rest out in the fleet.

A thoughtful response. Concur. The part about not allowed to make mistakes and learn is also prevalent in today’s naval services, read USN/USCG where JOs are scared witless of making even a minor misstep and having their careers railroaded as a consequence. Seatime for many of the senior officers is fraught with the motto don’t take chances, play it safe get a clean if not noteworthy OER/Fitness report and land a “safe” shore billet afterwards.

I’m sure it’s a pretty great working environment with a bunch of top-notch professionals. /s

Sounds like the cadets actually lucked out, not an operator nor crew I’d want to work with.

I go to the school currently, and I wouldn’t depend on more than half of my classmates to get something done. If you’re hiring, I would suggest you be extra careful in who you look in to.

First they did away with rifles and now this?

If you’re an upperclassman maybe you should be a better leader yourself instead of tossing the class under the bus. When I worked there I noticed many of them let their classmate’s bullshit slide only to go and complain later on about “how the place should be” while doing jack shit themselves to take ownership of their regiment and ship.

I happen to think that the quality of instruction at Schuyler has dramatically improved over the years, even if the regiment has taken a nose dive. Just look at this great production just released from the MT department to prepare cadets for SST 2019:

https://youtu.be/-VA-DKxxio0?t=42

Show this video to the kids during their reg activity