Is it even worth to attend maritime college?

is it even worth it to attend maritime college if i am not plan to sail?
i am more concern about does license help me to get a job onshore?because im kinda losing track right now about whether to stay or leave.
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Texas A&M has a program for people like you its called MARA.

The freshman English and composition classes may help you…

A license does no good if you’re not going to sail.

Usually thecompany uses them to ask the people sailing to do stupid shit.

[QUOTE=sailorfromnowhere;146703]is it even worth it to attend maritime college if i am not plan to sail?
i am more concern about does license help me to get a job onshore?because im kinda losing track right now about whether to stay or leave.
:confused::confused::confused::confused:[/QUOTE]

Quit now. If you’re that confused you’re wasting everyone’s time and money.

The way the economy and future is headed for middle class working people in the USA, with no college and no license, you will have no problem descending to the lowest common denominator, or at least a retail job for 20 hrs a week with no benefits, unless you keep your shit together right now, and get a grip.

It all depends on what you’d plan on doing shoreside. And there’s a lot of ppl that graduate with a license who don’t sail or just do it for a year or so then switch shoreside.

You sound like a perfect candidate for current openings available as an HR recruiter for any number of deep water drilling companies’ Marine Dept.

[QUOTE=sailorfromnowhere;146703]is it even worth it to attend maritime college if i am not plan to sail?

You sound like a perfect candidate for current openings available as an HR recruiter for any number of deep water drilling companies’ Marine Dept.

If you are going to work within the industry on a shore side assignment then yes it could help. But like somebody else said Texas A&M has a maritime administration degree that will give you the same opportunities as far as a shore side carries goes.

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;146712]The freshman English and composition classes may help you…[/QUOTE]

I hope, really hope, that the absurd goofs in the kid’s post were due to typos on a smart phone. If not, it does not look good for admissions standards.

[QUOTE=Rich Bogad;146772]I hope, really hope, that the absurd goofs in the kid’s post were due to typos on a smart phone. If not, it does not look good for admissions standards.[/QUOTE]

I fear that admissions standards are really that low. That said, smart phones and auto-correct can screw anyone.

Only [B]you[/B] can answer that question.
How many years do you have until graduation? I would finish it out and segue into another industry if that makes you happy.
I have a feeling that you may get the “same feeling” in another program. Regardless of your school or major, it is up to YOU to find your job…your degree will not be a magnet–contrary to popular belief–for employers to pop a tent when looking at your resume. Whatever you do…stick with it and learn it well. The key is to stick with it.
Only job offer I got after the Navy (exited with a DoD-recognized Mandarin proficiency certficate) was from Home Depot as a sales associate. Life’s a bitch.
After this school I’m in now (CMA) I’ll take a frickin’ job as a utilityman…as long as it’s a job!

I see you posted this in the SUNY forum so I will assume you are a Domer, like me. Take it from someone who was in your shoes 20 yrs ago. I left without graduating for what at the time I thought was the best and most noble reasons possible. It was one of the biggest mistakes I’ve made. You and likely your parents have already invested some time and effort. Don’t squander that investment. Finish what you’ve started. If Schuyler isn’t the place for you, then another school definitely will be. If you transfer to a non-maritime school, (even if it is another SUNY) many of your credits won’t transfer. And yes, I think having your license can be a benefit, even if you don’t sail. Many sectors of the industry like having licensed mariners in the front office or on the dock. Likewise, along with your degree it speaks of your commitment to follow through and finish what you’ve started. Besides, SUNY now has day student status for those who want the degree but not the regiment or license.

Think HARD before you bail, and try to have a plan in place if you do go. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Absolutely worth it. Stay, or if you really hate SUNY, transfer to a different maritime school.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;147022]Absolutely worth it. Stay, or if you really hate SUNY, transfer to a different maritime school.[/QUOTE]

I, like many of my other classmates and alumni hated KP. . . .glad I finished, though. . . .

Not sure why you are asking this question but if your grades are good, I’d urge you to stay in school.

Your heart might not be in it right now, but then again, you may just be bored and have a case of the doldrums. That will pass.

Shipping is the place to be for the next couple decades, until the finally kill and bury the Jones Act.

:D…

If you don’t want to sail, take the license and degree and work shoreside. I know plenty of people who have done that and have done well in life. The big mistake is letting the license expire. Renew the damn thing even for continuity because honestly, in tough economic times it can be an easy ticket to finding work, even if it’s just short term stuff. Unlike most colleges, these Maritime Colleges offer multiple career paths, with the license opening doors to employment in positions that very few have the documents and proper training to fill.