How to study for 3000 ITC ton OSV mate?

Hello, I am new to forum and would like to say that there is a lot of useful info and all of you are very helpful. :slight_smile:
Since I have just completed my 1600 ton OSV mate assesment and half of the classes required before testing, I would like to ask how to study most efficiently and the fastest way for 1600 grt/3000 ITC OSV mate.
I have purchased the five books for limited master , mate and operator + the CD for master/mate 500-1600 grt.
Well, those books cover everything up to master 1600, but how do I know which chapters to study that are exclusivelly for[B] Mate OSV 1600[/B]? I know everything is important, but I just need the info for the MATE OSV.
Some of you that have been through both master/mate 1600 OSV
exams could chime in and let the forum know the difference. :slight_smile:
Thanks

this might be of help??

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/deck_exams.asp

[quote=seadawg;23677]this might be of help??

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/deck_exams.asp[/quote]

It is the same problem there. All the deck questions and topics, but not separated between mates or masters.

I have a feeling that the mate osv is going to be VERY close to the 3rd mate test, but could be wrong, i m working on the assessments for the mate osv and studying for the 3rd mate anyways

Here is what I found in the CFR
Table 11.910–2—Endorsement Codes for the mate near coastal 500/1600 grt. It could be helpful for others who study for their exams.
According to that table, 3rd mate ( column 5 ) and mate 500/1600 (column 6 ) got a number of differences. That clears a little bit my questions. I should have done more research instead of cloging the forum with my questions. :o
Topics that [B]do need to[/B] be studied for MATE OSV 500/1600 GRT, but need to be learned for masters and 3rd mates:
Middle Latitude Sailing NO
Mercator Sailing NO
Great Circle Sailing NO
Parallel Sailing NO
ETA NO
Celestial Observations:
Special Cases (hi/lo Alt., Backsight) NO
Latitude by Polaris NO
Latitude by Meridian Transit NO

Lat. by Meridian Transit (Sun Only)
Oceans

Fix or Running Fix (Any Body) NO
Fix or Running Fix (Sun Only)
Oceans
Star Identification NO
Star Selection NO

Times of Celestial Phenomena:
Time of Meridian Transit NO
Time of Meridian Transit (Sun Only)
Oceans
Second Estimate Meridian Transit NO
Zone Time Sun Rise/Set/Twilight
Oceans
Zone Time Moon Rise/Set NO
Speed by RPM NO
Fuel Conservation NO
Naut. Astronomy & Nav. Definitions NO
Chart Sketch NO
Small Boat Handling Under Oars or Sail NO
Magnetic Compass Adjustment NO
Deviation Table Construction NO
Ocean Current Systems NO
Weather Charts and Reports NO
Extensive Tidal Effectn NO
Drydocking, with & without Prior Damage NO
Heavy Weather Operations NO
Maneuvering for Launching of Lifeboats and Liferafts in Heavy Weather NO
Receiving Survivors From Lfbts/Lfrfts NO
Determine Maneuvering Characteristics of Major Vessel Types NO
Wake Reduction NO
Principles of Ship Construction NO
Stability, Trim, and Stress Calculation NO
IMO Ship Stability Recommendations NO
Change in Draft Due to Density NO
Ship Power Plants:
Marine Power Plant Operating Principles NO
Ships’ Auxiliary Machinery NO
Marine Engineering Terms NO
Small Engine Operations and Maintenance NO
Emergency Procedures:
Ship Beaching Precautions NO
Actions Prior To/After Grounding NO
Refloating a Grounded Ship NO
Collision NO
Temporary Repairs NO
Emergency Towing NO
Medical Care - Knowledge and use of:
Int’l. Medical Guide for Ships NO
Ship Med. Chest and Med. Aid at sea NO
Medical Sec., Inter. Code of Signals NO
1st Aid Guide: Accidents with Dangerous Goods NO
Int’l. Convention on Load Lines NO
SOLAS NO
MARPOL 73/78 NO
International Health Regulations NO
Other International Instruments for Ship/Pass/Crew/Cargo Safety NO
Cert. and Documentation of Vessels NO
Rules & Regs. for Inspected T-Boats NO
Rules and Regs for Uninsp. Vessels NO
Title 46 U.S. Code NO
Captain of the Port Regulations, Vessel Traffic Service Procedures for the Route Desired NO
Shipboard Management and Training:
Personnel Management NO
Shipboard Organization NO
Crew Training NO
Ship Sanitation NO
Vessel Alteration/Repair-Hot Work NO
Charters NO
Liens, Salvage NO
Insurance NO
Entry, Clearance NO
International Code of Signals NO
Lifesaving Appliance Regs. for T-Boats No
Lifesaving Appliance Ops. for T-Boats No

Search and Rescue:
Search and Rescue Procedures NO
Amver NO

For those interested in that table , here is the link:
http://http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=fa922df37e32cb41bae14abe6eb6e817&rgn=div5&view=text&node=46:1.0.1.2.11&idno=46#46:1.0.1.2.11.4.7.53

this is the correct link

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=fa922df37e32cb41bae14abe6eb6e817&rgn=div5&view=text&node=46:1.0.1.2.11&idno=46#46:1.0.1.2.11.4.7.53

Thank you. I was going to edit the link since it does not work, but you already did that. :slight_smile:

the test “module codes” for the appropriate exam are contained in the “Deck Guide”.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/training/deck_guide.pdf

LAPWARE, Nuff said. They have all of the up to date modules.

Did any of you guys who tested for 3000 ITC OSV Mate have any questions for the SS American Mariner or M/V Hudson with all the calculations and tables? On the training CD for master/mate 1600 gt I have no means to exclude the questions for the master and have to go through all of them and skip those I do not need .

[QUOTE=stef4o;24131]Did any of you guys who tested for 3000 ITC OSV Mate have any questions for the SS American Mariner or M/V Hudson with all the calculations and tables? On the training CD for master/mate 1600 gt I have no means to exclude the questions for the master and have to go through all of them and skip those I do not need .[/QUOTE]

Yeah you will see some of those questions, but realistically you can blow off stability. For testing purposes. Practical wise you need to understand it, but you won’t have many questions on your exam until Chief Mate. If it’s a stumbling block for you I wouldn’t spin my wheels trying to memorize a bunch of formulas.

I got my OSV Mates (3000 ITC) N/C in Dec 09. There were 2 questions on stability. I have to agree with Diesel. Don’t hurt yourself trying to remember the formulas. My suggestion is brush up on terrestrial section. Azmiuth/Amplitude, Slippage/RPM, Tide/Currents. Of the 5 exams I took, this one thru me for a loop. Houston Marine’s Study guide for 1600T Master/Mate was what I used and it hit all the sections of the exam. Good Luck!