How to fill license application for approval to test?

This is my first time going about getting approval from the coast guard to test? Do I fill out the License Application? or do I go about it another way I have searched the internet and forums and cant find anything any help would be much appreciated!!
Thanks!

Fill out the license application. Email it in to REC. Gets forwarded to NMC. They will send you an approved to test letter. Pass test. They will send you a license.

[QUOTE=orangejulius;53348]This is my first time going about getting approval from the coast guard to test? Do I fill out the License Application? or do I go about it another way I have searched the internet and forums and cant find anything any help would be much appreciated!!
Thanks![/QUOTE]

50thState gave you the quick and dirty, but I would like to add that there are checklists for each license application. What are you going for? If you go by the checklists they will help you make sure that you don’t forget anything and complete applications without errors get processed quicker with less delays than someone who sends an incomplete application.

What they said, but also be sure to pay for your testing/issuance fees at pay.gov then email/mail a copy of the payment along with your application to the NMC.

I am going for my 500 master. I am still lacking flashing lights and about 60 days of sea time. My thoughts where to see if I could go ahead and submit and start the process such as going through medical. Last time when I got my 100 ton master they gave me a lot of trouble since I have asthma. Is it possible to go ahead and start the review process and keep extending it till I have the everything therefore speeding the process up? or should I just wait till I have all my ducks in a row?
Thanks for the help everyone this site is awesome!

[QUOTE=orangejulius;53372]Is it possible to go ahead and start the review process and keep extending it till I have the everything therefore speeding the process up?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is possible and it’s not a bad idea.

Use the appropriate checklist from the NMC’s website as Capt Lee suggested. If you check off everything on that list, with the exception of flashing light and 60 days of sea time, you’ll have all of your bases covered. Provide a copy of a receipt or any documentation provided by a third party, such as payment through pay.gov and a copy of your TWIC or application for. Keep a copy of EVERYTHING for yourself.

thanks, I have been using the checklist and have everything but the flashing lights and some of the sea time. Thats good to know that I can go ahead and submit everything cause I am slightly worried what the coast guard will say about my asthma its under control but they held me up for a couple months when I first got my license.