How long to keep deckhand job as a licensed Mate?

Have to pick up the first job I can get at this point more than likely. Shooting all across the board for seagoing jobs at and above 1600 tonnage. My question is as a professional do I need to keep any A/B or OS job I am able to get for at least a year in order to look good for employers, or is it alright for me to hop on a Mate job if and when it becomes available?

Go for the first [U]decent[/U] job you can get on your license. You didn’t do all that work to get a license to stay on deck. Everybody understands this.

[QUOTE=Sun&Ski79;191988]Have to pick up the first job I can get at this point more than likely. Shooting all across the board for seagoing jobs at and above 1600 tonnage. My question is as a professional do I need to keep any A/B or OS job I am able to get for at least a year in order to look good for employers, or is it alright for me to hop on a Mate job if and when it becomes available?[/QUOTE]

Everything else being equal, when you do begin functioning as an officer, most ABs and OSs will respect you more if they know you can walk the walk.

PS. Other ABs or OSs don’t need to know you have a mate’s ticket until you decide to start using it. The knowledge can change the relationship.

In this job market feel lucky you found a AB job…

I too am an under employed licensed third mate.

None of us envisioned the industry being this bad when we signed up at the academy. Seriously thinking of heading to FLL to look for a yacht crew position. If I’m going to have to whore myself, may as well do it where the weather is nicer.

I would begin looking for a Mate position but not leave my AB job until the right Mate job comes around. Don’t be in too big a hurry and burn bridges, many have realize a secure deck position is many times better than a insecure mate job.
Good Luck

I agree about keeping the information about holding a mate’s license on a need to know basis. Tell the people in charge that you have the ticket and want to move up but otherwise keep it in your back pocket.

As far as burning bridges, I always set them alight as soon as I get to them, it keeps you moving. Don’t burn your bridges till you get to them, that’s my motto.

These days I would take what you can get. Slim pickins.

Take what you can get in this current market but keep your eyes peeled for the right opportunity to get the most out of your license