How are the supermarkets holding out where people live?

There were occasional shortages but our isolated community was doing ok when access was limited to residents. 6 days ago, the restriction was lifted for NRPOs. They were asked to bring their own supplies but now there are shortages of perishable items and of course, toilet paper. 6 days from now, all entry restrictions will be lifted and tourists will begin to arrive. We’ll see if the supply chain can adjust.

In Seattle:
Odd inconsistencies between stores. Plenty of gel hand sanitizer in some chain supermarkets. But other big chains don’t have any. The big chain drugstores have none. Instead, they sell bottles of grain alcohol sanitizer in wine bottles and airplane-sized mini bottles.

Distilleries here churn out liquid sanitizer. It’s kept behind the cashier’s area, because it’s just scented Everclear.

Paper products are on the shelves, but you still can’t find an oral thermometer anywhere for love nor money.

A few cuts of fresh meat are being rationed. You can’t buy more than a few pieces. But frozen meat is plentiful.

The proportion of people wearing masks in store keeps going up. Probably 9 out of 10 now.

Supermarkets making land-office business. New faces behind the counters. The older cashiers are staying at home, to avoid exposure.

Gonna change Lee_Shore. Too soon for that area.

Since the lockdown here only my wife has been to the supermarkets. That means there are a few things missing that used to get slipped into the trolley such as bier sticks etc.
95% of New Zealand’s milk products are exported through a farmers cooperative and the farms are generally family owned and are highly automated. A farm near me has 3 robotic milking machines and the cows decide themselves when they want to be milked. The busiest time is between midnight and 02:00. The merry go round shed where the stalls are segments and the whole thing revolves are also popular. A single family can milk about 700 cows.

I will be damm glad with this lockdown passing . The missus could give tips to a grizzled old bosun in keeping the crew employed. The sooner she gets back to playing bridge the better painting things has never been a leisure pursuit of mine.

5 Likes

I feel your pain.

1 Like

Tonight I went to the little store near my house for beer. They were out of the normal beer and only had that hippy IPA shit. The end is almost here shipmates! The beer is almost gone. (The next store I went to had beer but still…)

3 Likes

The hipsters that used to swear by IPAs like it was the nectar of the gods are the also the ones that made PBR just as expensive.

Seriously though…i’m sure there is lots more day and binge drinkin’ going on these days. Off topic sorta, now that the weather is warmer inflatable pools are the new ‘hard to get’ item

2 Likes

No worries here. Intellectuals made fun of us preppers for decades but they don’t have a bomb shelter/zombie proof cave filled with this. Who’s laughing now Suckers!!

images.jpeg

5 Likes

As much as I hate it that IPA stuff it sells like a bastard, only Labbatts for me. Had someone stop saturday and drop off a bunch of samples trying to have us put it in the cooler.

I havent tried it yet.

I agree there was going to be a huge drop off in demand for paper especially the high end stuff, but the lower grade doesnt cost much to produce, they cut the supply price but jacked up the product price :joy:. I’ve got 2ld of hemlock to send this week and hopefully I dont get beaten to bad. I put the paperwork in for a newer slasher and a newer propac delimber a couple weeks ago, no rush now.

You nailed it. A week ago, I started receiving proposals from my family for an attractive deck to surround an above ground pool they decided we should get. Not going to happen.

I have a slightly used porta pool I bought for the mutt as a pup… Squeezed between #2 shed and the anti-immigration fence. Is it worth anything now?

Never fear. The next hipster beers are already here in retro form. Narraganset for the East Coast and Rainier for the West. Your PBR should return to manageable levels in due time as the trends shift.

Corona 12 packs are on sale here. Some people are afraid to buy them. What a mess for their unfounded hysteria and the media being knuckleheads creating same.

1 Like

This explains a few things. As U.S. meat workers fall sick and supplies dwindle, exports to China soar. China pays a higher price for pork causing a shortage in the United States which drives domestic prices up. Win for corporations! Loose for Americans. :face_with_thermometer:

Boo! Shame on you, what about your poor family?

Local supermarket advertised boston butts 99 cents a pound. Was a day late. All gone. Did get some carrots and avacados, and loaf of wheat bread. Weird stuff going on.

Let’em get their own pool. :smirk:

Thats funny. One of the jobs before sailing was a 3 man crew building above ground pools. Had to race to the bank to get paid.