GOM Standby vessel

I came across this in the Coast Guard Authoriztion Act that just passed the House and is in the Senate. Looks like Rep Landry is looking after his people. More reading at http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr2838rfs/pdf/BILLS-112hr2838rfs.pdf .

My opinion only but they should add more medical equipment, especially meds, to what it takes to get the stand by vessel endorsement on the COI. I understand the DWH medics had nothing to work with once they reached the boat.

§ 80701. Standby vessels
11 ‘‘(a) IN GENERAL.—The owner or operator of a
12 manned facility, installation, unit, or vessel shall locate a
13 standby vessel—
14 ‘‘(1) not more than 3 nautical miles from such
15 manned facility, installation, unit, or vessel while it
16 is performing drilling, plugging, abandoning, or
17 workover operations; and
18 ‘‘(2) not more than 12 nautical miles from such
19 manned facility, installation, unit, or vessel while it
20 is performing operations other than drilling, plug21
ging, abandoning, or workover operations.

Very glad to see this is finally coming but I would imagine that the oil majors aren’t happy about it.

Stand-by vessels were required back in the '60s, '70s and early '80s. It was common for boat companies to have “bundle” contracts for the supply boat, crew boat and stand-by boat.

And early '90. I was on a JE Graham boat, the Bill G (pulled that outta my …), in early '91. Thought they did that already. Guess not.

[QUOTE=RkyMtn Paul;58267]And early '90. I was on a JE Graham boat, the Bill G (pulled that outta my …), in early '91. Thought they did that already. Guess not.[/QUOTE]

Standbys are the norm and have been for a long time by the contractors. Looks like the USCG finally got around to requiring them, thank goodness. As usual, late to the party.
tengineer