gCaptain - Superyacht MY SONG Lost from Cargo Ship During Transport

Are those holes where she was on the cradle? … Or to put it another way, did the cradle punch through the hull leading to her moving sideways then over the edge? Or is that damage from when she hit the side of the ship whilst going over?

Yes. And they left the stick up. Maybe on a small boat. On this size yacht, that heavy mast, with her vertical height (guessing 100+ feet from the deck of the yacht) puts an awful lot of leverage on the whole boat if the ship starts to sway, roll, or pitch. Or ALL THREE!!

Fifty ?seven? meter stick…

Her mast is 39.6 meters high

The boat is 39.6 meters long. Pretty sure the mast is longer.

Towering 56 metres above is the Southern Spars rig and latest North Sails 3Di pinhead cruising mainsail. A square-top main comes out for regattas, but even with the cruising set-up on our test day off La Spezia, My Song is sailing faster than the wind. Close-hauled in seven knots of breeze, boat speed is up around nine knots. Reaching, she hits 13 knots in eight knots of wind.

1 Like

I was crew boss on Blade Runner in my wild youth. She was from the same designers, an early Racheil/Pugh design that was a quantum leap and kicked butt. Word was that the designers weren’t sailors but computer nerds who excelled at simulating fluid dynamics.

Bladrunner-high-resjpg-460x325

1 Like

Did you dream of electric sheep? :wink:

If that’s a reference to the movie by the same name, I’ve only seen a small bit of it and I don’t recall any stinkin’ electric sheep.

1 Like

Ah – the movie is based on Philip K. Dick’s story Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is a book that most people think they remember and almost always get more or less wrong. Ridley Scott’s film Blade Runner took a lot from it, and threw a lot away. Wonderful in itself, the film is a flash thriller, whereas Dick’s novel is a sober meditation. As we all know, bounty hunter Rick Deckard is stalking a group of androids who have returned from space with short life spans and murder on their minds–where Scott’s Deckard was Harrison Ford, Dick’s is a financially strapped municipal employee with bills to pay and a depressed wife. In a world where most animals have died, and pet keeping is a social duty, he can only afford a robot imitation, unless he gets a big financial break.

The genetically warped “chickenhead” John Isidore has visions of a tomb-world where entropy has finally won. And everyone plugs in to the spiritual agony of Mercer, whose sufferings for the sins of humanity are broadcast several times a day. Prefiguring the religious obsessions of Dick’s last novels, this book asks dark questions about identity and altruism. After all, is it right to kill the killers just because Mercer says so? –Roz Kaveney, Amazon.co.uk

I had no idea…

I was too young when I read it. I need to go back to it.

1 Like

…and I finally got the title of this talk:

She was already off topic when I came up here, I didn’t touch anything, I swear!

3 Likes

I got that spec off a marine traffic site that, obviously, got their data wrong.

But the higher mast underscores my point even more. That kinda weight whip-sawing that high up on a relatively light ship (based on seeing photos of the cargo ship online, pre accident after loading) just makes the accident inevitable.

I wonder if they had shipped her like this before, rigged like this, using the same cradle??

2 Likes

I crewed on Blade Runner (now Flyer) in a couple of Big Boat Series a few years ago. She’s still the same block of chiseled carbon with titanium everything else. Very powerful way to plow a downwind furrow in 30kts+.

2 Likes

I was proud of my role on that boat so when my dad came to visit I gave him the nickel tour. I’m not usually a big picture taker but I took this one of him standing at the helm.

Where’s the boat now, do you know?

2 Likes

She’s still in the LA area with an owner that loves her.

1 Like