Forbes list of Americas most surpring six fugure jobs

http://finance.yahoo.com/photos/america-s-most-surprising-six-figure-jobs-slideshow/

Captains, Mates, and Pilots of Water Vessels
Top 10% make over $125,930
Mean annual income: $73,760
Total employed: 30,860
Top-paying state: Tennessee

[QUOTE=tugboatchief;116417]http://finance.yahoo.com/photos/america-s-most-surprising-six-figure-jobs-slideshow/

Captains, Mates, and Pilots of Water Vessels
Top 10% make over $125,930
Mean annual income: $73,760
Total employed: 30,860
Top-paying state: Tennessee[/QUOTE]

Tennessee???

That was my exact response also.

Maybe a lot of them live there? You would be surprised the number of us mariners that live in Central Tx.

[QUOTE=“BMCSRetired;116432”]

Tennessee???[/QUOTE]

No state income tax

That’s the reason I moved to Texas was for no income taxes.

I’m pretty sure TN doesn’t have a state income tax either. And maybe a lot of the Miss river companies are in Memphis? I don’t know, just postulating.

Texas doesn’t have the state income tax, but you take it in the shorts on property tax. They’ll get their money one way or another. But, houses are cheap in Texas. I look at the prices of where I grew up in Klein and I almost want to cry. Then I remember humidity, roaches, skeeters and fleas.

[QUOTE=RkyMtn Paul;116478]Texas doesn’t have the state income tax, but you take it in the shorts on property tax. They’ll get their money one way or another. But, houses are cheap in Texas. I look at the prices of where I grew up in Klein and I almost want to cry. Then I remember humidity, roaches, skeeters and fleas.[/QUOTE]

…and Texans…:smiley:

[QUOTE=kfj;116452]No state income tax[/QUOTE]

That could be it. With a small population of mariners a few heavy hitters or fewer low level earners could skew the average.

No state income tax is why I moved to Florida. Shorter commute whether I work overseas or not.

I know several guys that have moved to Tennessee from other parts of the country. No state income tax, property taxes are low, and land is still cheap there. I am kind of surprised it was #1 on the list though.

The statistics are here: 53-5021 Captains, Mates, and Pilots of Water Vessels

[QUOTE=BMCSRetired;116432]Tennessee???[/QUOTE]

They also say that New Mexico (not Nevada, not New Jersey …) is #1 for gaming managers. Go figure …

[QUOTE=txh2oman;116576]They also say that New Mexico (not Nevada, not New Jersey …) is #1 for gaming managers. Go figure …[/QUOTE]

Indian reservations. . . .