First Assistant Engineer upgrade

I just received the new stickers after passing my first assistant engineer exam. I looked over the documents and noticed that they sent a “Second engineer officer” endorsement.

I also noticed that the “First assistant engineer” sticker/document is a national only document.

I know that the engine ratings overseas are different. First engineer = Chief engineer, Second engineer = First assistant engineer, Third engineer = Second assistant engineer and Fourth engineer = Third assistant engineer.

I think this means that they sent me a “second engineer officer = first assistant engineer international” and a first engineer national so I really have no restrictions on my license they are just conforming to the new international standards.

Am I correct or is something wrong here?

[QUOTE=maritimebill87;158582]I just received the new stickers after passing my first assistant engineer exam. I looked over the documents and noticed that they sent a “Second engineer officer” endorsement.

I also noticed that the “First assistant engineer” sticker/document is a national only document.

I know that the engine ratings overseas are different. First engineer = Chief engineer, Second engineer = First assistant engineer, Third engineer = Second assistant engineer and Fourth engineer = Third assistant engineer.

I think this means that they sent me a “second engineer officer = first assistant engineer international” and a first engineer national so I really have no restrictions on my license they are just conforming to the new international standards.

Am I correct or is something wrong here?[/QUOTE]

You are correct. Fully qualified First, congrats!

It is true a ‘second engineer’ elsewhere is equivalent to our ‘first assistant engineer’ but even ‘overseas’ a first engineer never equals a chief engineer. I don’t think you have have an ‘international license’ per se but rather one that shows you have met STCW requirements and allows you to sail on US ships subject to STCW requirements.

Thanks guys!

[QUOTE=maritimebill87;158582] they are just conforming to the new international standards…[/QUOTE]

That “new” language has been in use since STCW 78. Also, it’s not a mathematical relationship, you don’t just subtract 1 from the U.S. terminology. In STCW, chief engineer is… “chief engineer.” Second and third assistant are “officer in charge of an engineering watch.”

[QUOTE=jdcavo;158629]That “new” language has been in use since STCW 78. Also, it’s not a mathematical relationship, you don’t just subtract 1 from the U.S. terminology. In STCW, chief engineer is… “chief engineer.” Second and third assistant are “officer in charge of an engineering watch.”[/QUOTE]

I’ve been reading and I’m not sure what the national part of the endorsement means. Does this prevent me from sailing internationally?