Finding an Opening in galley?

You can also try fishing companies out of Seattle, they all have cooks and it can be a blast up here in the summer…

Aleutian Spray Fisheries, American Seafoods, Trident Seafoods, Icicle seafoods, and more…

Now that sounds awesome

Go to the ECO office. Hiring cooks now. If you have an MMD and basic safety training you should have no problem. Good company and free training once you are hired. Building new boats now and never any layoffs I’ve heard of with the company. I am cooking for them now 6+ years and have zero complaints.

Well Just to give an update. I have an appointment with a service called My Offshore Job now for Monday at 1pm. Please wish me luck and again thank all of you for your help as I have put applications in to the companies I could get an online application for.

Ok - here’s the deal on this stuff - I’ve just done it. I was a successful chef in New York State, with culinary training.

I moved down to New Orleans specifically to get offshore cooking work.

First off, nobody down here seems to care much about restaurant experience; it’s all oilfield. I struggled to get a job and finally took a galley hand job with Premier Catering out of Houma. worked one hitch and moved to night cook. Went from there to Global Offshore Resources out of Lafayette. From there to Edison Chouest. Life is pretty sweet at the moment.

Catering companies suck, but they get you in the door. Most are hiring constantly ( that should tell you something ) . Check out the ones I mentioned as well as Art Catering. You need to be down here. You also need a TWIC card.

Hercules Drilling also has cooks, but as mentioned earlier most companies hire caterers. You need to work directly for a good company to make any real money.

If you are actually serious about this, you can PM me. Good luck.

[QUOTE=dacook;111955]Go to the ECO office. Hiring cooks now. If you have an MMD and basic safety training you should have no problem. Good company and free training once you are hired. Building new boats now and never any layoffs I’ve heard of with the company. I am cooking for them now 6+ years and have zero complaints.[/QUOTE]

Where are they located? Are they local in Louisiana? I don’t havr basic safety but do have a MMD

Edison Chouest Offshore.
Galliano, LA

Google them for their web site.

Invest in the training and you should get a chance. SeaSchool in bayou labatre, la.

I found a service and had an appointment yesterday. The place is called my offshore opportunity. They have all my credentials, are sending off for my HS transcripts, then told me when they come in I will be scheduled for an orientation then after that be sent to Morgan City for a five day class. As I understand it they place you in a job after that so wish me luck fellas! And thank all of you for being so good.

Best of luck!

Best of luck, and remember, “It’s better to have a good cook than a good Skipper!”

Morgan City can be a rough place. Find out where you will be staying. Call the Morgan City Police Dept and make sure it is not a crack motel. I stayed there 15 years ago, and I do not know that it has gotten any better. The Company may be legit. Make sure it is not also an employment agency that charges you 14 days pay for finding you the job. They would with hold 25%+ of your paycheck untill your obligation is met.
Sea School in Bayou La Batre, Al has a cooking class. If you have experience and can handle cooking 3 meals/day for 15+, then you may not need the class. The class may be helpful, but not necessary. Good Luck.

If that doesn’t work out try HOS. Hornbeckoffshore.com. We use contract caterers for most small spot jobs but have several cooks employed full time. Any vessel with 10 or more personnel gets a cook, and lots of new builds coming out will be needing them permanently. If you can cook and manage the budget you’ll be alright

Just to update I’ve been hired on at ESS. I’m in Lafayette and have my servesafe to take Friday and then I’m done. I do know if anyone is needing a job in galley or utility etc they are hiring for the gulf area. Thanks to all and I don’t plan on stopping here. I know there is more out there!

Good for you. Now tell all your cooking friends to start working offshore so we can start eating better.

I’m on it and already have. They want to train me under a cook so I can learn more about the galley and about Louisiana cuisine and I’m seriously looking forward to it.

[QUOTE=AmandaOwens;114063]Just to update I’ve been hired on at ESS. I’m in Lafayette and have my servesafe to take Friday and then I’m done. I do know if anyone is needing a job in galley or utility etc they are hiring for the gulf area. Thanks to all and I don’t plan on stopping here. I know there is more out there![/QUOTE]

Nice job- Congrats!

Oh great, He will probably tell you to put Tony’s on everything and boil all vegetable till they are are soft and mushy. That the difference. Between rare, medium and well done is Light grey, grey and dark grey. To add pea’s to everything including potato salad. Fried pork chops for lunch and chicken fried steak for dinner is a healthy balance. But what do I know, I’m not a chef…

If it ain’t fried, it ain’t food…

Boy, gimme that jimmy-dean. Swear to god I’ve seen guys on a C&G crew boat eat sausage out of the wrapper like a candy bar. It’s good for ya. Must have microwaved the whole thing…

But any fresh blood that can bring some halfway fresh and healthy meals to a boat would be very welcome up my way! Ease them into it though.