Employment hunting, any help appreciated

Hello gentlemen, and ladies.

My name is James White, I have never posted on here before and am a brand new member to this site as of today. I have read many posts and done a good amount of research spanning dozens of companies and several aspects of the whole maritime industry as a whole. I am trying to exhaust every avenue and approach I can in regards to finding good employment with a company that will help build my career. My profile is online here and I have uploaded my resume/personal details etc. For most of you the meat and potatoes is all that’s really necessary-I have a 3rd Mates Unlimited Tonnage Any Oceans License, along with TWIC, Passport, etc. That is all pretty standard in this industry. I have also just put myself through Kongsbergs’ DPO Induction course here in Houston (where I live) back in May. So, with all that being said I am asking for any help or guidance from current employers, employees, or seasoned mariners who can assist me or provide sound advice as many hands make light work so to speak. Believe me when I say I have bought memberships to every maritime employment website, put my application and profile into almost every staffing/temp/headhunting type agency out there, hunted and hunted every possible combination of vessel/marine/sailing/maritime/mate/dpo job posting online and applied to probably in the range of 60-80 companies spanning everything from mom and pop Louisiana crew boat companies to huge multi nationals like Maersk and Conoco Phillips etc.; and almost everything in between like Edison Chouest, Transocean, MSC, Chet Morrison…; even research vessels like Chugach Alaska in Kwajalein with the U.S. Army for Gods’ sake. Haven’t heard a peep from anyone, pretty demoralizing but steady wins the race usually. So, I am not posting here asking for help without a serious lack of trying on my own, I just know that WHO you know often trumps WHAT you know, as unfortunate as that may be. I am happy to provide my resume and other relevant documents to anyone who is interested in helping me or even hiring me, and I thank anyone in advance for even a few minutes of their time helping me in any way towards these goals. Mainly I would like to get onboard and complete my DP training scheme to obtain my DP Unlimited license, and secondly to be onboard a vessel that allows me to grow my License to the next level of 2nd Mate. Thank you again for the consideration and I will be checking this often for any possibilities or avenues that I overlooked.

Safe Sailing

James White

As far as the oil patch goes, when they need somebody they look in the waiting room first. It’s all in the timing

You can’t be the James white who was fired from Chouest, GOL and was banned from Brazil during your tenure with OC, are you? If so, I understand why there are problems.

Seriously, be careful using your real name on public forums sir, and good luck. Get that unlimited dp ticket and doors will open up.

[QUOTE=Surfrider;113768]You can’t be the James white who was fired from Chouest, GOL and was banned from Brazil during your tenure with OC, are you? If so, I understand why there are problems.

Seriously, be careful using your real name on public forums sir, and good luck. Get that unlimited dp ticket and doors will open up.[/QUOTE]

There’s more than 1 James White out here!!!

He can’t get the DP certificate without DP time!

You can take basic DP with no time.

[QUOTE=ElCapitan;113782]You can take basic DP with no time.[/QUOTE]

He said he took the DP Induction at Kongsberg, Houston, already.
James, try Grand River Navigation on the Great Lakes. 4409302024. Ask to speak with Rick Turman or Bill Penn. Good luck.

Sirs

Thank you gentlemen for at least acknowledging me and letting me know I still exist :wink: I will respond/answer each of you in order here.

boatengineer-Yes sir I have heard that as well, if I don’t hear anything over the next couple of months I guess I’ll arrange a road trip and start walking into some of the bigger guys and go down the list from there, gotta invest to earn as usual, thanks.

Surfrider-No sir I am not the James White you may be thinking of, I am 33 yrs old and fairly new to this industry, I spent my previous career in the military and then contracting for the Gov. I am comfortable with being open about myself here, no need for mystery or anonymity, although I do understand it has its’ place at times, thank you though for the heads up.

AHTSChief-You sir are correct on all counts, obviously there are many James Whites’ in the world and yes I do need and am trying to fulfill my seat time so I can obtain my DPO Unlimited certification, thanks for the backing up!

ElCapitan-You sir are also correct, however I have already taken that step and explained that in my original post, but I thank you for getting involved in my efforts towards gainful employment.

seadog6608-Thank you also sir for backing me up and reaffirming that I have taken all the steps I can as an individual and just need that last assist to get a position that is worthwhile after spending all this time, money, and energy towards these licenses and certifications. I will certainly contact Grand River Navigation on Wed afternoon after I return home from this temporary assignment through C-MAR. I will speak with those two gentlemen and let them know that you referred/advised me only as a shipmate towards a possibility but not as a personal reference in regards to positions. I will not divulge your name or how I acquired their info if you object to this, and will stay on top of the posting to see if you do. Thank you for the “try here” road sign and safe saling to you sir.

Respectfully to all

James White