Education Advice

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Thats sick. Have either one of them showed an interest in ships or the ocean? You want your little boys to cus and drink and be salty?
California has a maritime academy texas boston new york and maine do as well, thats the stepping stone. My opinion avoid the coast guard.

Agree with Curry, unless the boys have a passion for maritime, forget it.

Lady, you really took the wrong exit here! You’re lucky we don’t slash your tires and steal the wheels. Get back on the freeway and go about twohundred miles or so and then take theAll Service Academies Forum exit. There’s a Cracker Barrel there and you academy attendee prospective parents meet on Wednesdays and talk about how proud you are of your own “dear” little Timmy or Tommy or Billy or Suzy ad nauseum forever! You can all make big plans for their stunning successful careers paid for with TAXPAYER FUNDED FREE EDUCATIONS! If you send your boys to the USMMA, make sure they play Sousaphones or Timpani or Glockenspiel so that they can be stars in the KP Marching Band led by the astounding and undeniably highly inflammable gasbag otherwise known throughout Great Neck rigid airship circles as the Captain Kenneth R. Force, USMS…Blimpmaster of significant renown! If you raise one of your lads to be a strutting primadona, he can be the regiMENTAL drum major extraordinaire!

//youtu.be/N13BBpd6td8

AT FUCKING MINUTE 53 THEY HAVE SOME UTTERLY SHAMELESS MIDSHIPMAN TAP-DANCING LIKE SOME FUCKING WIND-UP TOY MONKEY VERSION OF GEORGE M. COHAN!

IT’S LIKE SOME FUCKING CAMP CADET! NEXT WILL BE “KINGS POINT MUSICAL” OR “DANCING WITH THE MIDSHIPPERSONS”!

GOD HOW I HATE THAT FUCKING PATHETIC JOKE OF AN ACADEMY!

sorry to level the broadside at you lady, but good luck ma’am …hope you arrive safe so drive careful now!

1 Like

You forgot to take the little pink pills again huh?

Now C.Capt - be nice to Moms.
Lets keep the pointy stick in the scabbard until you have a deserving opponent.

Proudmama - C.Capt was right in redirecting you to the Service Academy Forum (.http://www.serviceacademyforums.com/ ) They would likely be more forthcomming than this site which is full of crusty commercial sailers and wannabe cadets.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;85253]Now C.Capt - be nice to Moms.
Lets keep the pointy stick in the scabbard until you have a deserving opponent.

Proudmama - C.Capt was right in redirecting you to the Service Academy Forum (.http://www.serviceacademyforums.com/ ) They would likely be more forthcomming than this site which is full of crusty commercial sailers and wannabe cadets.[/QUOTE]

that’s sailors son…mariners that is…seamen if you will!

“boy’s about as sharp as a bowlingball”

[QUOTE=dredgeboater;85252]You forgot to take the little pink pills again huh?[/QUOTE]

AW FUCK IT ALL! Little pink pills ain’t gonna help this time…what I need is cheap whiskey and lots of it!

[QUOTE=c.captain;85257]that’s sailors son…mariners that is…seamen if you will!
“boy’s about as sharp as a bowlingball”[/QUOTE]

Yes, it’s 'sail[B][U][I]O[/I][/U][/B]rs I should learn to spell that one. “mariners” is an option but ‘seamen’ - that term just sounds wrong on several levels. (You can find me at the bottom level)

actually jet…

sailors are in the Navee…vis Squids with little funny hats

mariners are in the merchant marine vis “he’s a merchant mariner not an effing marine”

seaman is a term of respect to anyone who serves at sea…vis “he is a true seaman”

Moms - As you can see from the varied responses to your post, there are a variety of mariners with a variety of perspectives.

One of the best ways to a good income with no debt that I’ve seen is the Army 88K program. The army has a lot of water craft, and they have a good training program. The key thing is that all the training is USCG approved, and they come out with transferable skills to the civilian life. From what I’ve read, they could come out with at least a Master 200 with towing which translates into $100,000+ per year when they get out. And no student loans to pay off.

Don’t hesitate to let the young 'uns do some exploring on their own. I trust you are not attempting to become a helicopter parent.

Thanks Water for your civil reply. When I posted this thread I had no idea I would get so many uncouth and judgmental responses. Back in the very early days, parents did plan for their children’s future and they were not considered to be uncaring and tyrannical. Their outlook was to ensure that their children would have a promising economic future and while I’m sure there maybe were parents who had selfish ambitions, most parents just wanted the best for their kids. Just like parents today. I’m married to a blue collar guy, a professional tradesman who would rather see better for his children. You know, real parents just want the best for their kids. And there’s nothing wrong with that. I’m thinking the only people who think that’s “sick” are the ones who had parents who really didn’t give a flip about them. I love my children. Really love my boys. So does their dad. We want the best for them, whatever that is. But, of course, you can keep doubting that and cling to your jaded mindsets. Because that’s what uncouth men do. I know you’re not all salty sailors…I know there are men among you that stand heads above the rest of you and it was those men I was seeking answers from. Not that I have to explain myself to any of you, but some of my comments in my initial post were tongue in cheek. My boys know their path is ultimately up to them and God and they know mom’s latest scheme for their life of which they are fully cognizant they have the final say in the matter. That’s all I will say with the exception of one last thing. The shame lies with your responses, with you. I’ve seen better men and far better discourse. It might be like a needle in a haystack in your profession, but those men are there and it’s those men who make the difference for the better.

I think the point everyone was trying to make is you can’t force someone to go to sea they have to be drawn to it.

[QUOTE=proudmama;85374]Thanks Water for your civil reply. When I posted this thread I had no idea I would get so many uncouth and judgmental responses. [/QUOTE]

how bout this for an “uncouth” and “judgmental” reply lady…EAT ME!

[QUOTE=proudmama;85374]That’s all I will say with the exception of one last thing. The shame lies with your responses, with you. I’ve seen better men and far better discourse. It might be like a needle in a haystack in your profession, but those men are there and it’s those men who make the difference for the better.[/QUOTE]

you will excuse my crass and ungentlemanly but somewhat salty farewell when I wish you to not let the watertight sideport collide your broad beamed after section as you make way out of the channel with all dispatch and steer for the “All Service Academies Forum”…

sheese…I know mommy here knows not of the pointed stick and all, but can’t she take a hint already?

I see what your doing there C-Captain.

A little over the top, and unfortunately lost on this confused and over bearing mother.

Lady ask your self if you really want to force your children into this life. Do you really want them to be involved in an industry with higher then average rates of addiction, divorce, and all around danger? If your going to go ahead and plan your kids life’s for them be normal and plan on them to be a doctor, lawyer, or bushiness man. It still comes off disturbing that you are planning your children’s future at sea in such detail when neither one of them have shown any interest in it.

Read these next two post to get an idea of what you will be subjecting your children to just to get started in this industry.
So You Want to Become a Mariner?
So You Want to Become a Mariner? Pt. 2

Now it’s all right to keep your kids from making stupid life decisions, and while deciding to go to sea is no where near being one of them, there are easier paths in life. If your children show an interest in doing this please come back with your questions and we will answer them.
As for planning a child’s future with out their input I use this joke as a guide and leave it at that.

What does a person with a Bachelors of Science do?
They discover how things work.

What does a person with a Bachelors of Engineering do?
They figure out how to make things that the Science guy’s discover.

What does a person with a Bachelors of Business do?
They sell the things that the Engineers make.

What does a person with a Bachelors of Art do?
They ask you “Do you want fries with that?”

It’s because of my love of this joke that I know I will be cursed with children that will want to be actors of musicians. Please god make them successful enough to for them to be able to take care of me when i get old.

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;85381]I see what your doing there C-Captain.

A little over the top, and unfortunately lost on this confused and over bearing mother.[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry Jem but this broad has my hackles up this morning and if my words are lost on her, then I am not working hard enough!

I’ve decided to rebut her last post in detail

[QUOTE=proudmama;85374]Thanks Water for your civil reply. When I posted this thread I had no idea I would get so many uncouth and judgmental responses. [/QUOTE]

Then it shows that you just jumped in there without doing any reading of earlier posts on this subject. Making your first post to this Forum with a knowledge deficit is not a way to earn the good humor of those of us members in longstanding. Why do you feel that you automatically deserved to be treated with deference? You are nobody here but are obtuse to that reality.

Back in the very early days, parents did plan for their children’s future and they were not considered to be uncaring and tyrannical. Their outlook was to ensure that their children would have a promising economic future and while I’m sure there maybe were parents who had selfish ambitions, most parents just wanted the best for their kids.

Very sound for you and your husband to have a plan for your sons to get a higher education but pardon me when I say that you initial post smacks right in the face of you wanting to get them accepted to a federal service academy so they can get a free degree and qualify for a high valued skill such as a helicopter pilot or a ship captain. Pray tell me how I am wrong in this opinion?

Just like parents today. I’m married to a blue collar guy, a professional tradesman who would rather see better for his children. You know, real parents just want the best for their kids. And there’s nothing wrong with that. I’m thinking the only people who think that’s “sick” are the ones who had parents who really didn’t give a flip about them.

A bigoted statement for you to make and made with no knowledge whatsoever. What do you know about my upbringing? How do you make the assumption that my parents “really didn’t give a flip” about me? My father was especially instrumental in guiding me in choosing to pursue his life’s profession. He still does care about me and remains a mentor although now retired. I love to swap sea stories with him and am very proud to have served as his chief mate in Alaska in my very early days as a seafarer. What on earth gives you the right to call me “sick” ma’am?

I love my children. Really love my boys. So does their dad. We want the best for them, whatever that is.

good for you…I hope you know that “whatever that is” also might mean to not squeeze them into some mold and career that you have chosen for them to follow before they are even thirteen years old. If one wants to be a male nurse and has a passion of caring then you should support him fully even though you would rather have him fly helicopters. Don’t start forcefeeding your visions for them today when they are so impressionable. That is being manipulative and harmful to their long term interests.

But, of course, you can keep doubting that and cling to your jaded mindsets. Because that’s what uncouth men do.

So now you are a psychologist and fully understand the mind of myself or anyone else here? You certainly seem to feel very free to throw out labels at us here including men who have been contributing to this forum for years.

I know you’re not all salty sailors…I know there are men among you that stand heads above the rest of you and it was those men I was seeking answers from.

Again you speak without any knowledge of us whatsoever. I may me a professional mariner but I am also educated and have had excellent training in the use of language. My writing teachers were awesome and I will always be grateful to them for imparting to me this gift. Trust me lady, this is a mariner who knows how to swear and tell bawdy jokes but can also write a deposition for a court without needing some lawyer to put the words into my pen.

Not that I have to explain myself to any of you, but some of my comments in my initial post were tongue in cheek.

They certainly didn’t come across as very tongue in cheek and you might need some remedial writing classes.

My boys know their path is ultimately up to them and God and they know mom’s latest scheme for their life of which they are fully cognizant they have the final say in the matter.

so they are young and impressionable and know of mom and dad’s plan for them already…that you want them to go to a service academy. What if they loathe the military life deep inside but stifle that distaste just to not disappoint you? To not disappoint parents is a huge motivation in the minds of a parent’s children. Please consider them and what is right for them FIRST!

That’s all I will say with the exception of one last thing. The shame lies with your responses, with you. I’ve seen better men and far better discourse. It might be like a needle in a haystack in your profession, but those men are there and it’s those men who make the difference for the better.

NEVER BEEN HERE BEFORE AND YOU ARE SCOLDING US? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING OR SO DAFT TO BE LITERALLY OUT OF TOUCH WITH THE PLANET EARTH!

btw, good and better men are not “a needle in a haystack” in our profession and we resent you labelling us as “uncouth” barbarian merchant seamen prone to drink and assorted debaucheries*. YOU HAVE SOME NERVE LADY!

now, don’t let the door hit you in your fat ass on the way out…

• ok, there might be a sliver of truth to the barbarian part but I am now and have always been a card carrying “couth” mariner and don’t you forget it!

Much better response then blow me.
I should had read her second post better, glad I didn’t. Totally missed the part were she’s pissing on every man who ever had to use his hands to make a living. A really smart parent will encourage their kid to forget collage and learn a trade. The world will always need people to build and fix things. Just ask anybody who got their JD how’s the job market looking. Now go ask a guy who is training to be an electrician, plumber, or HVAC what his job prospects look like.

I already considered her a lost cause from her first post, but I tend to take a wait and see approach vs you’re dam the toepedos let them have it approach.

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;85401]Much better response then blow me.[/QUOTE]

No, no, no…it’s not “blow me”. It’s “EAT ME”!

sheese

[QUOTE=c.captain;85250]Lady, you really took the wrong exit here! You’re lucky we don’t slash your tires and steal the wheels. Get back on the freeway and go about twohundred miles or so and then take theAll Service Academies Forum exit. There’s a Cracker Barrel there and you academy attendee prospective parents meet on Wednesdays and talk about how proud you are of your own “dear” little Timmy or Tommy or Billy or Suzy ad nauseum forever! You can all make big plans for their stunning successful careers paid for with TAXPAYER FUNDED FREE EDUCATIONS! If you send your boys to the USMMA, make sure they play Sousaphones or Timpani or Glockenspiel so that they can be stars in the KP Marching Band led by the astounding and undeniably highly inflammable gasbag otherwise known throughout Great Neck rigid airship circles as the Captain Kenneth R. Force, USMS…Blimpmaster of significant renown! If you raise one of your lads to be a strutting primadona, he can be the regiMENTAL drum major extraordinaire!

//youtu.be/N13BBpd6td8

AT FUCKING MINUTE 53 THEY HAVE SOME UTTERLY SHAMELESS MIDSHIPMAN TAP-DANCING LIKE SOME FUCKING WIND-UP TOY MONKEY VERSION OF GEORGE M. COHAN!

IT’S LIKE SOME FUCKING CAMP CADET! NEXT WILL BE “KINGS POINT MUSICAL” OR “DANCING WITH THE MIDSHIPPERSONS”!

GOD HOW I HATE THAT FUCKING PATHETIC JOKE OF AN ACADEMY!

sorry to level the broadside at you lady, but good luck ma’am …hope you arrive safe so drive careful now!

,[/QUOTE]

I heard the gentleman say " I was just turned around when I first came in."

Yup - PERFECT

I couldn’t watch much more, although those words could be the new motto for KP.
Good Lord, lock Victory Gate, open the facilities at KP for all US Merchant Mariners, Licensed and Unlicensed, for upgrading and training. Eliminate the totally worthless regimental system as the sea life has its own discipline and special heritage, eliminate KP’s standing as a Federal Academy as the real mission for KP is long past tense. How long will this drag-on?

[QUOTE=c.captain;85405]No, no, no…it’s not “blow me”. It’s “EAT ME”!

sheese[/QUOTE]

Can I blame it on undiagnosed temporary ADD? That or MTV, I am that generation.