Edison Chouest's new IMR vessel photo

[QUOTE=tugsailor;129082]The problems were a lack of local knowledge, weather routing, and towing skills on the part of the master, and poor shoreside tow planning. The people involved were not up to the task. Other than the water in the fuel problem, there was nothing wrong with AIVIQ’s towing abilities.[/QUOTE]

The water in the fuel is the big unanswered question for myself. Did all the fuel tanks get water in them and if so how? One assumes the fuel was checked either before bunkering or during bunkering as is normal and even required so it must have been OK or else they would not have been towing. So, was a tank holed, a vent take on water? How did the engineers not notice the purifiers shooting more or an increase in the sludge levels? If normal good engineering practices were followed I don’t see how this happened unless a hole got ripped in the boat simultaneously contaminating all the tanks.

If u think Chouest has enough pull to get that report quashed, you also believe the government is going to stop hoovering up information on the internet. The USCG has no problem losing or hiding information as long as it is only between them and a valued civilian partner, but they will not hide something of this magnitude…

[QUOTE=BMCSRetired;129189]If u think Chouest has enough pull to get that report quashed, you also believe the government is going to stop hoovering up information on the internet. The USCG has no problem losing or hiding information as long as it is only between them and a valued civilian partner, but they will not hide something of this magnitude…[/QUOTE]

Ah, BMCSRetired; in the grand scheme of things to the general public outside of Alaska and a few mariners this is not of much magnitude. The fuel question I have could have already been answered as it is not a complicated question. So, why no answer from the USCG? It seems that the USCG as well as knowledgeable people associated with Chouest are scared to answer the question. If it has been definitively answered I have not seen it. All I recall hearing is some Chouest guy saying they got fuel with some mysterious substance in it which was sent to a mysterious lab but no results were available during the hearing many weeks later. Then I hear it was water. WTF? This doesn’t meet any sort of smell test.

I believe someone said before that the external fuel vents on deck played a role in the watery fuel.

Pure speculation. We’ll probably never know the truth.

[QUOTE=justaboatdriver;129222]I believe someone said before that the external fuel vents on deck played a role in the watery fuel.[/QUOTE]

External fuel vents are on every vessel. Why did they only cause a problem on this vessel, if indeed that was the problem. Did the vents for all the tanks start taking on water? If so was this a sudden occurrence? Was the vessel sinking and all the vent checks not hold?

Aiviq skipper talks fuel, route in final Kulluk hearing

The failure of all four engines on the Aiviq Dec. 27 has been cited as one of the major issues that cropped up during the voyage. Prior witnesses talked about a fuel issue causing the engine troubles. There was some discussion, by people not on the Aiviq, of water getting into the fuel. But those on the Aiviq said they thought it the issue was slime.

[QUOTE=+A465B;129124]Just asking because I haven’t been following it:

Has the uscg issued a final report on the incident?

Would like to read it if one is available.[/QUOTE]

Not yet, I’ve head they are close though

[QUOTE=tugsailor;129078]Where do those of us with Alaska experience who want to help Shell make a big success of 2014 submit our resumes?[/QUOTE]
Tug Sailor, If you live in Alaska, And Have Tug Experience. Check out Crowley and Foss, Both have offices here.
If you interested in WorkBoats, Edison Chouest or Harvey Gulf. - My advice Go take a few classes in Marine Mamology. become a PSO, You have to be on the Bridge to be PSO.(Protected Species Observer) And their Ranks need a few personnel that understand how vessel works,
All the companies have Websites with Connections for New Hries. If you have the qualifications should be no problem.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;129079]I’m not an expert on the subject, and probably didn’t read up on the topic as well as I should have when it was being discussed, but I thought that the inadequate towing abilities of the Aiviq played into the whole Kulluk debacle. Maybe I’m wrong, if so I apologize for not informing myself better, but that was my vague understanding of the incident.[/QUOTE
I have seen no indication of that. on Paper she’s got what is needed to do the job. There have been speculations -and some design changes (rumored) But in order to get confidence we’ll have to get her to tow something , again.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;129082]The problems were a lack of local knowledge, weather routing, and towing skills on the part of the master, and poor shoreside tow planning. The people involved were not up to the task. Other than the water in the fuel problem, there was nothing wrong with AIVIQ’s towing abilities.[/QUOTE] For someone looking for job you certainly sharpen that prodding stick and seem to poke awful hard. Hindsight has a way of making us all experts. Just remember that ECO is the ONLY Operator that has over 20 years exp operating in Arctic Conditions. Kodiak is not Arctic, Do your homework, The Palmer has been breaking ICE in Antarctica for quite a while. They are ECO. ECO has vessels operating Globally. With that being said, I’m not trying to say your are wrong, I know we’ve addressed many of these as Gap Closure points. If you apply to ECO I’d advise you not to forward your Theory on WIF.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;129219]Ah, BMCSRetired; in the grand scheme of things to the general public outside of Alaska and a few mariners this is not of much magnitude. The fuel question I have could have already been answered as it is not a complicated question. So, why no answer from the USCG? It seems that the USCG as well as knowledgeable people associated with Chouest are scared to answer the question. If it has been definitively answered I have not seen it. All I recall hearing is some Chouest guy saying they got fuel with some mysterious substance in it which was sent to a mysterious lab but no results were available during the hearing many weeks later. Then I hear it was water. WTF? This doesn’t meet any sort of smell test.[/QUOTE]

I did not say that it would be quickly resolved or issued, I just stated it will not be hidden. However, I can guarantee it will not embarrass anybody but the the master and maybe the tow master because from their (USCG) side he is “…inescapably and ultimately responsible…” for everything that happens on/with that vessel. They always smash the master in this situation because he has the shallowest pockets and least amount of political clout and bowed to outside pressure.

They do all kinds of funny stuff with PSC issues. Don’t say stuff never gets covered up, been privy to way too many conversations to think otherwise.

From what I was told from people that were there and photos I have seen, so take it for what it is worth. The Aiviq is larger than the Laney with about 8,000 less HP. Don’t know how that applies or even if it does. The entire stern of the Aiviq was underwater, not just decks awash, so perhaps that has something to do with water getting in through the vents. Saw pics showing a space in after house(?) flooded. Was told water would come through the main deck aft door. I do know that the entire deck crew refused to go back and work for the captain and a mate had a less than glowing review of the cap’t. While this new boat is very attractive, hopefully they take past practices into account for their operational needs. And I hope the shipyards welding has improved. Some of the absolute worst shit I have ever seen.

Some of the footage we saw in YouTube last year did not look very promising. I guess it’s normal to get some water on the aft deck while towing in heavy weather, but having 3-4 feet of water sloshing all the way to the superstructure can’t be good…

[QUOTE=Texaco;129276]From what I was told from people that were there and photos I have seen, so take it for what it is worth. The Aiviq is larger than the Laney with about 8,000 less HP. Don’t know how that applies or even if it does. The entire stern of the Aiviq was underwater, not just decks awash, so perhaps that has something to do with water getting in through the vents. Saw pics showing a space in after house(?) flooded. Was told water would come through the main deck aft door. I do know that the entire deck crew refused to go back and work for the captain and a mate had a less than glowing review of the cap’t. While this new boat is very attractive, hopefully they take past practices into account for their operational needs. And I hope the shipyards welding has improved. Some of the absolute worst shit I have ever seen.[/QUOTE]

The HP should not be an issue. If it had 8000 more the boat driver would have probably just buried it more. Welding problems? That is an ABS issue if it was ABS inspected but then again ABS is a paid inspector. The captain issue is a mystery because it is a GOM boat and who knows how many “captains” were on board? Was it a master issue or a captain issue? I assume there was only one master on board but then I hear there was a “towing master” and another master of some sort. If the fuel vents were buried the chief engineer should have advised the master that he should do whatever is needed to increase the freeboard or suffer the consequences, did he? But the chief engineer testified it was contaminated fuel received so what is the truth?
It is amazing to me that with all the scuttlebutt on gCaptain those who were involved or have intimate knowledge of this affair have been silent or silenced while everyone waits around for the politically influenced USCG to make a report. Sadly the NTSB had no hand in this matter for if they did we may learn the real truth.

C-Installer is currently moored at the north dock C-Port 1.

[ATTACH]3854[/ATTACH]

On ECO vessels the fuel tanks vent into an overflow tank, the overflow tanks vent on deck. So, if the overflow tank vent fails or gets submerged the only tank that will get water in it would be the overflow tank.unless the aiviq is built differently, I was chief for one of the captains on the Aiviq, he is probably the most knowledgeable anchor boat captain that I worked for, he was on his off time when this incident took place,

I can’t speak for the vessels chief, but I and a lot of other chiefs would constantly circulate the service tanks and overflow them into the settling tanks, keeps the service tanks topped up and cuts down on condensation.

Look who I spotted in the wild.

2 Likes

Thanks for the Pic @Kraken. I get the warm and fuzzies seeing that ECO boat putting out into the Gulf of Paria. If you squint a little you can make out the last of the Transocean boneyard.