Dutch winter fun

…Why?..

Just…why?

1 Like

Stuff was frozen in the Netherlands but not that frozen as in NH.

Schadenfreude?

Motorcycles on ice.

1 Like

Thy…:wink:

Due to the heavy ice conditions on the Wadden Sea, the nearly 100-year-old mrb BRANDARIS is used to act as an icebreaker if necessary. Here is a photo of the exercise of 11 February in West Terschelling. The ARIE VISSER has water jets and must first be towed to ice-free open water before continuing under its own power. Photo : Marcel van Berkel ©

That is obviously the downside of having water jets for propulsion.

The Royal Dutch Rescue Company (KNRM) is a private foundation for providing assistance to people and ships in need along the Dutch coast. The Rescue Companies were founded in 1824 and are part of the Dutch rescue system. The cause was a shipping disaster off the coast of Huisduinen in October of that year in which three shipwrecked people and six rescuers lost their lives.

That seems to be a really bad idea but something I would likely try if I was as indestructible as I used to think I was. I have since learned that thinking one can over come all odds of common sense is the first sign of ignorance. Wisdom is born from that realization :grinning:

It used to be worse. In the classic “On Any Sunday”, the ice racing segment used spikes on the tires. I seem to recall the line, “getting rundown by a buzzsaw”.

1 Like

Medical student and figure skater Linda van Bemmel (20) showing off on the Amsterdam Prinsengracht/canal with in the background the famous landmark Westertoren (Western Tower) which came in use in 1631.

1 Like

The winter weather let us forget the Corona virus but alas the fun is soon over now because the thaw is setting in.

1 Like

It would be great to have a couple of months of heavy snow.

1 Like

Dutch winter fun:

1 Like

I remember some disbelief when explaining to American friends that ‘hockey’ is mostly a girls sport in the Netherlands.

Field versus ice hockey indeed.

And then there are sprint cars on ice. . . . January 29, 2018 - Lakes Region Ice Racing Club - Highlights of sprint cars on ice - YouTube

Back to something Dutch and maritime:

The inland vessel EDISON sailing in the Kornwerderzand locks. Although temperatures are above 0 degrees Celsius since monday, there is still a lot of ice. Photo : Flying Focus Aerial Photography www.flyingfocus.nl ©

1 Like

The drifting ice attracts many interested people to this interesting phenomenon. Ice floes crawl onto the shore under pressure from the IJsselmeer (large inland lake), resulting in a wall of a few meters thick at the lighthouse of Urk. The drifting ice is popular with day trippers. Many come to Urk especially to view the natural phenomenon.

2 Likes