DPO - how to start?

Kind of refreshing to look at it from a different angle. I think the DPO field is going to have some growing pains to come, but, maybe it will all work out in the wash. Maybe we should hire DPO’s with a ET background…then we can get the GMDSS monkey off of our backs at the same time.<br><br>Why did we get rid of Radio Officer/REO’s/ET’s again? Someone please remind me. Was it the same reason we phased out the Purser, just so we could add ISM and ISPS paperwork to our own plates?<br><br>Hmmmmm…

What are the prospects of getting a job as a DPO if you are a 2nd Mate AGT but do not have any DP experience or coursework? I am a '06 grad from A&M.<br>

<P>Wow. These A&M grads seem to be everywhere! I’ve worked with several A&M graduates and most seem to be fairly intelligent. To answer your question, Skoidat69, you simply need to do some research and find a company out there that will be interested in hiring you. Not only are there companies out there that are building drilling rigs and drilling ships at breakneck speeds, but there are vessels being built to support those new hulls. Tidewater, Choest, Hornbeck, and others are all building new equipment and they are nearly all DP2 or above. As some of the previous entries have suggested, you will need to first attend the DP induction course, which simply gives you some insight into basic DP procedures and technology. It doesn’t really matter which company you choose to provide the training. It could be Nautronix, Kongsberg, Beier, Alstom, or another. The point here is that the basic principles are all the same, regardless of the vendor providing it. Once you get the basic DP Induction under your belt, you will need to get some actual time as the operator of a DP system. Preferably, time should be on a vessel equipped with DP2 or above systems(See attached DP chart). Once you have 6 months (180) days of DOCUMENTED DP time, you can forward your completed DP book to the Nautical Institute and receive a non-restricted DP operators license.</P>
<P>My best advice would be to let your prospective employer know that you are interested in receiving a non-limited DP operators license and that you will work with them in any way to obtain it. This usually perks their ears up a bit. The majority of vessels at my company are DP2 and most of our mariners have received their DP operators certificate. It’s not that difficult, but you have to be patient. In the end, you’ll get it.</P>

Oh…PS, forgot to add the obvious part. You’ll need to attend the second DP course (DP simulator), before being issued the DP operator certificate. Again, refer to the flow chart provided. Sorry about that.

What if you’re on a DP vessel before you have gone to the Basic Induction course? Is this time wasted as far as getting the cretificate? Is there a way to “log” it and get credit?

Well, that’s a touchy subject for some of us. I’ve seen guys start new from day one after receiving their DP logbook. I’ve also seen some guys back-date their logbook to document previous hitches on a DP boat. In both cases, they have sent in their logbook and received certification. I’m a bit anal on crossing the “t” and dotting the “i” on all of my record-keeping, so I don’t agree with the idea of back-dating the DP logbook. But is it legal or acceptable? I don’t know. I just know that they got their DP certification. I would’t do it that way, just in case it led to a problem with the Nautical Institute but, hey, to each his own.<br><br>Just be sure to record all of the pertinent data in the logbook, as required.<br><br>Hope this helps.

A good friend of mine was in this situation five years ago. He called the NI directly and was able to make a pretty good deal with them. The key is having a Captain willing to write them a letter explaining the situation and noting your DP seatime.

Does anyone know of any DPO schools you might suggest? I have DP experience, but am now finding myself needing a certificate.<br>

DPwannabe,<br><br>Hey man DP isn’t a big deal! I’ve been working on a technilogically advanced osv for only 6 months and I’ve pretty much mastered it. I wouldn’t let anyone tell you otherwise. The only thing I’m trying to get is school time. I don’t have alot of money to spend and my company won’t pay so I’m gonna save I guess. Do you recommend any good schools? I’m lookin for one place that I can get all my schoolin that I’ll need. Thanks and good luck!

Funny - I’ve been doing this for going on 20 years, and shit still happens that surpises me.<br><br>Tell us oh minnisupplyman, how do we do it? We are not worthy.<br><br>Do you have a Basic DP Class done? Do you have your Advanced DP Class done? Do you have your Unlimited DP Certificate yet?<br><br>Fill in the blanks msm. Inquiring minds want to know, so we can steer you in the right direction. What part of the country do you live in? Would you consider a jump to another compnay that does provide you the required training? Who do you work for now?

El Capitan- You big Meany!!! LOL<br><br>I think he works for Rigdon and if I had to guess it is a DP Crewboat. My best guess is the Yellowfin.<br>

I was thinking Swordfish, so we’re in the same neighborhood!<br><br>Yeah, I’m just a big, mean bastard anymore…<br><br>Hope all is well there, drop a line when you find time…

6 Months to Master the DP system! Hell, I think it took me 6 months to Master the Helm Chair.

After 6 months I was still a little shakey as to the exact location of the bridge!!

I’m thinking Arbies!!!

I hear you guys! I still get lost at times as well. DP for me hasn’t been all that challenging. I’ve had a couple of guys tell me that people don’t usually pick it up as fast as I did. I’m not patting myself on the back but I tend to agree with them. I do plan on going to a DP school when I can get the money. I’m going through a divorce right now and it’s kinda tight right now. Do I have to go to the coast guard to get my lisence?

MSM,<br><br>USCG does not deal with the DP certification. In order to get a DP operators certificate you will have to do the following.<br>1) Attend Basic DP Class. (5 days )<br>2) Complete 30 days of DP time on a DP equipped vessel, and get some items signed off.<br>3) Attend Advanced DP Class ( 5 days )<br>4) Complete 180 days of DP time on a DP equipped vessel, and get some more stuff signed off.<br>5) Submit your training book to the Nautical Institute.<br><br>The Nautical Institute will review your training book and determine if you qualify for a Limited or Unlimited certificate. <br><br>You may also want to check with your company to see if they have grant money that you can use to attend school.<br><br>Hope this helps.

<br>“Funny - I’ve been doing this for going on 20 years, and shit still happens that surpises me.”<br><br>Yeah, Like walking up to the bridge and catching Capt.Lee tying his T-shirt in a knot to expose his belly button to the deck crew.

But, do you think that shirt makes me look GAY?

Only if it’s transparent.