Doomsday Dream - The Dreaded Phone Call

Danm it John! Three times since you posted that Fuckn no for goodDoomsday post I’ve had a nightmare.

In the dream I’m crossing the Atlantic as master of the Maersk Alabama when the INMARSAT phone rings. It’s the USCG telling me that terrorists have dirty bombed the major US cities, our company office was hit and everyone from the ship superintendent to CEO is dead. I’m ordered to remain at sea and not attempt to enter US waters, then the phone goes dead. I hail another ship on the MF/HF GMDSS and find out their satellite equipment - phone, GPS, everything - is also dead.

So I’m in the middle of the atlantic in charge of a 500’ containership with no comms and no idea what to do next.

What would you do?

[QUOTE=cmjeff;97525]Danm it John! Three times since you posted that Fuckn no for goodDoomsday post I’ve had a nightmare.

In the dream I’m crossing the Atlantic as master of the Maersk Alabama when the INMARSAT phone rings. It’s the USCG telling me that terrorists have dirty bombed the major US cities, our company office was hit and everyone from the ship superintendent to CEO is dead. I’m ordered to remain at sea and not attempt to enter US waters, then the phone goes dead. I hail another ship on the MF/HF GMDSS and find out their satellite equipment - phone, GPS, everything - is also dead.

So I’m in the middle of the atlantic in charge of a 500’ containership with no comms and no idea what to do next.

What would you do?[/QUOTE]

Take up knitting.

[QUOTE=cmjeff;97525]Danm it John! Three times since you posted that Fuckn no for goodDoomsday post I’ve had a nightmare.

I’d look at the noon slip to see how much fuel I had.

K.C.

1 Like

Let’s see, 22 people, 12 shotguns. Time to invade Canada.

1 Like

Any port in a storm or closest port in a storm. Go home, even if it’s not there.

1 Like

Check the manifest after the noon report.

[QUOTE=+A465B;97533]Check the manifest after the noon report.[/QUOTE]

And start pilfering from the top down.

You bastards with your damned dirty bombs!!!

Start opening containers, hope that theres a big shipment of rum in one of them.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;97541]Start opening containers, hope that theres a big shipment of rum in one of them.[/QUOTE]

That’s exactly what I was thinking, but along with the Rum I would hope to find a couple of containers loaded with Weapons and a lot of ammo for them. Then I would invade Canada.

[QUOTE=Tugs;97543]That’s exactly what I was thinking, but along with the Rum I would hope to find a couple of containers loaded with Weapons and a lot of ammo for them. Then I would invade Canada.[/QUOTE]

One big handgun and some harsh words would have those Canucks shaking in their hockey skates.

Lay down a track to Pattaya.

I hear Phuket is nice this time of year (Patong Beach)

We figured out, that with a full barge load of fuel, and a few spare parts, we could steam slow for almost 4 years.

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;97614]We figured out, that with a full barge load of fuel, and a few spare parts, we could steam slow for almost 4 years.[/QUOTE]

Better hope that there are some groceries in those containers. . .

You Guys are thinking wrong. You need to cash out those containers. Steam to southern Italy and make a deal with the “Dons”. If there is $100 million in inventory, I’m sure the “Boss” would offer you 33 cents on the dollar. Now you have a boat, 33 mill in your pocket and can go anywhere you want in style.

Tell you what would be even more cool. If you were captain of a tanker loaded with refined fuel. After a disaster, fuel prices skyrocket and you are now king of the world.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;97622]You Guys are thinking wrong. You need to cash out those containers. Steam to southern Italy and make a deal with the “Dons”. If there is $100 million in inventory, I’m sure the “Boss” would offer you 33 cents on the dollar. Now you have a boat, 33 mill in your pocket and can go anywhere you want in style.

Tell you what would be even more cool. If you were captain of a tanker loaded with refined fuel. After a disaster, fuel prices skyrocket and you are now king of the world.[/QUOTE]

Jetryder, you have a dangerous imagination, I like that. Perhaps you and I should open-up a Saloon.

1 Like

Other than how merchant mariners would control the whole world in an apocalypse-like scenario, which we most certainly would, what about the mysterious “Alpha Protocol” envelopes locked in the Captain’s safe on each american merchant vessel, which are suppose to tell you just what to do in such a situation? Or have those gone away since the fall of the iron curtain? I heard they have coordinates for rally points and things like that so that no merchant vessel has to act, or survive, alone in such a desperate scenario.

[QUOTE=Too bad steam is gone;97612]I hear Phuket is nice this time of year (Patong Beach)[/QUOTE]

Listen Buster, if it’s so good why do they call it Phuket?
I’ve seen enough Phukets in my life time.

Some good answers and here’s what I did.

In the first dream I got off the radio with the other ship and told the 3rd mate to take a sunline and advanced his DR. He whipped out the sextant and pointed it at the horizon upside down. I spent an hour showing him how to use the thing then the navy showed up and fired a torpedo at us.

The second time I had it I just told the third mate just to steer a straight line then I grabbed the deck crew and started opening the containers. An hour later the ship was littered with cheap useless junk from china then the navy showed up and fired a torpedo at us.

The third time I told the 3rd mate to avoid all ships on the radar get me the dangerous cargo manifest to find me some weapons but I woke up before this dream ended.