DOD joins fight against 5G spectrum proposal, citing risks to GPS

In a letter to FCC Chairman Ajit Pai, Secretary of Defense Mark Esper pressed for the rejection of the proposal by Ligado Networks (formerly known as Lightspeed), saying, “There are too many unknowns and the risks are far too great to federal operations to allow Ligado’s proposed system to proceed… This could have a significant negative impact on military operations, both in peacetime and war.”

Apparently my internet provider is testing it as my signal jumps back and forth from 2 to 5G.

Apparently 5G spectrum also inhibits what weather satellites can see of water vapor and therefore limits forecasting. But who needs accurate hurricane weather forecasts?

1 Like

I heard on the internet 5g fries the brain and also causes cancer; it possibly causes users to worship satanic hedonistic deities, as well.

1 Like

If the 5G-spectrum is used to measure the humidity in the air, wouldn’t this inversely mean, that 5G-communications would be limited in a humidity-saturated atmosphere, as in the equatorial zone, near a frontal system or on some coastal regions?

Look around… it seems, this phenomenon is older than 5G…

No – the issue is that satellite humidity measurement involves receiving an extremely faint signal which is generated by the humidity itself at 23.8 GHz (1.26 cm). These receivers will be subject to out-of-band (the 5g spectrum in question starts at 24 GHz) interference from much more powerful transmitters.

That said, it’s true that water in liquid or vapor form absorbs microwaves. I have read that the State of New Hampshire say 25 years ago put up a statewide 800 MHz trunked public-service radio system which failed when the trees came into leaf.

1 Like

Microwave Absorption

2 Likes

I see there’s an absorption peak right at the 24 GHz frequency of interest of half a decibel per kilometer under the stated conditions. That would reduce a transmitted or received microwave signal by 30% in each six km.

From a May article in Wired:

In the meantime, Gerth says this issue probably won’t go away anytime soon. The FCC plans future 5G auctions for the radio frequency bands near ones used to detect rain and snow (36–37 GHz), atmospheric temperature (50.2–50.4 GHz), and clouds and ice (80–90 GHz). “This is not one and done,” Gerth added. “Today it’s 23.8, tomorrow it’s 36.”