Do you overpack?

No matter how long your hitches or contracts are, does anyone here OVER pack their bags and OVER prepare?

We all laugh when I get back onto shift and I’ve got 3 traveling bags full of clothes, gear, ect for only a 28/28 shift😂

But HEY! I’m never asking to borrow someone else’s shirt or gear!

I’ve been captain of the same ship for 8 years so I basically have an apartment worth of shit that travels the world at this point. There are rumors of a reflag in the future so I will need to start paring down my gear aboard so I won’t need to book one of the contianers to get my stuff moved over. :grinning:

5 Likes

Its hard not to overpack…especially when you aren’t sure where you are going has linens or not!
Its too easy to fill up extra bags when you will be working in a cold climate too

5 Likes

1 carry on sized duffel bag is all I take. Got another backpack’s worth of stuff onboard but that’s it.

1 Like

No such thing as overpacked on a vessel with a deck crane.

No such thing as over prepared. I’ve grabbed my “backup” flashlight many times.

1 Like

Guilty! I have a locker full using only travel back and forth with a backpack but something is always getting added to the collection of shit I don’t need

2 Likes

I have my ship stuff and my home stuff. That way I don’t have to think about it when it’s time to pack. Things that I’d use on ship and at home are duplicated (like phone charger). The only thing I replace each hitch is sox, boxers, undershirts, shoes, soap and toothpaste. This prevents overpacking or having to think about what to bring. Basically if I needed it last hitch I’ll have it next hitch. I don’t even have to unpack. The sea bags just go into a closet already packed until I ship out.

2 Likes

what’s the old saying? Rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it?? Hahah

3 Likes

So the answer is yes…nothing worse then being stuck out here without something you need.

3 Likes

Wait until I get my locker packed. Gotta take a picture!! It will blow your guy’s minds! hahaha

Every time I go on another hitch, I do the EXACT same thing! Hahaha! Always grabbing stuff that I probably don’t need LOL

I was amazed at the amount of protein powder, supplements, special lotions and skin care products brought onto ships by the male crew members now. Recent years saw disposable hand/ass wipes causing blackwater problems for the engineers. We used to live on board ships for months without all these supplements, cremes, potions and spotless rectums . Guess we didn’t know better or something.

7 Likes

I’ve been meaning to get myself one of those drunken donkey shirts.

2 Likes

Not anymore ,now that I have an assigned vessel, that only works in one climate year round. No more big heavy sea bags. But when your on a ship that goes from Valdez to Singapore, well being prepared is a nightmare, especially when your changing work clothes 3 times a day from being a sweaty filthy mess of a human.
Yup now its just a couple pairs of shore clothes, deodorant, a bar of soap and some toothpaste.

1 Like

It’s difficult not to overpack at times.

1 Like

Yeah, I had a permanent CE job for about 4 years, and lived much the same way. I did have one advantage in that I lived in one of our regular ports, so moving stuff to and from was a bit easier. . . when she was sold and I was laid off, well, there was nothing on there that I couldn’t do without, so I did. . . .

2 Likes

LMAO!

Well I certainly hope that doesn’t happen for or the crews sake!

Yep, plus I have loads of mission kit to carry to and from the ship, body armour, drysuit and helmet, duty belt kit etc. It all adds up to loads of gear.

1 Like

The blue collar man look is in vogue now with the hipsters. This means that your work clothes can double as your house clothes.

It also saves loads of time when going ashore. Your jeans aren’t ripped they’re worn. Your denim jacket isn’t stained with HFO it’s weathered. That scent of diesel and BO? It’s the latest scent, why you haven’t heard of Dièsel?

4 Likes

Need to be prepared for the vagaries of the weather in the engine room…

4 Likes