Discharge paper lost in checked in baggage

Title says it all. First time I ever made this mistake, I’ve always been extremely meticulous in the past. I was a little apathetic while packing up this time. All of my other important stuff was in my backpack, but I threw my “portfolio”, that only consisted of my discharge and pay voucher, in check in. It’s been a week, and I don’t think they’re going to get it back.

Just goes to show the dangers of apathy. Trust me, I’m torturing myself over this as much as it is, but I can’t change that.

I’m sure I’m not the first one to run into this juncture. I’m hoping to upgrade, as well as file for vacation. I’m sure the company can provide the pay voucher if I ask nicely.

How does one recover a lost discharge? I think it’s referred to as CG-718A.

Thank you greatly for any assistance in this matter.

Your company and the Coast Guard should have duplicates of your discharge. Your company should also be able to duplicate your pay voucher.

I’d either contact your crewing coordinator or maybe even the captain to see if he can scan and email you the documents.

1 Like

Yeah, find documents on the computer, print, sign, stamp, scan, attach and email. It’s what I do for a living.

3 Likes

First thing I do when receiving any document is scan it and email it to myself or save it to cloud storage. This way I have a backup in case anything happens, luggage or otherwise. There’s some good apps that let you do this with your phone if you’re on the go. Haven’t had any problems with it yet.