Differences of Opinion

I didn’t come here because I perceive that my nose belongs in certain matters. I came here for the stimulating discussion of all matters maritime, provided by highly skilled and surprisingly enlightened professionals from a wide variety of backgrounds. One of the things I appreciate the most about gCaptain is that objectionable opinions are allowed, even if they amount only to baseless vitriol.

This is something precious that should not be taken for granted. Arenas of intelligent discourse between people with different points of view are becoming increasingly rare. I ascribe it mostly to the echo chamber effect; Perversely, the ease with which we can communicate through modern means has led us to seek out ever tighter conversational niches, to the point where we hear only what we want to hear. After all, silencing an annoying voice is only the click of a button away, and not having to deal with contrary views is just so… comfortable.

I truly fear what this is doing to the youth of today. If the body doesn’t encounter resistance, it wanes away to nothingness. I believe that this also applies to the mind. What will become of an entire generation whose critical thinking is never challenged, who doesn’t need to found their views and opinions on logical argument? What will they achieve? What will they invent? What sort of world are they going to build for our grandchildren?

I would like to extend my heartfelt thanks to John and our team of improbably patient moderators for creating this forum and making it what it is. Please don’t let it get enveloped in the wave of gentrification currently sweeping the internet, and degenerate into yet another echo camber.

9 Likes