Difference between a Chief Mate and a Second Captain

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;84332]Man you guys are way off. Nine times out of ten the master is addressed as captain and every other deck officer is called by there first name. You people are putting way to much into this. It sounds like a bunch of egotistical guys worried about titles.[/QUOTE]

Depends, it’s “Joe, let me borrow that book when you’re done reading it” but in a different context it’s “Hey Chief, is that oily sheen coming from us?”

K.C.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;84325]I withdraw my first post, I had no idea.

K.C.[/QUOTE]

But you do K.C, you do.

[QUOTE=cmakin;84329]Doggone it. Where did my “Thanks” button go . . . . . . Just don’t call them “boat drivers”. Sheesh. Some folks have NO sense of humor. . . . .[/QUOTE]

Oh my I used to get in trouble for that very often. I respect the title of Captain with about 99% of the people I sail with. However one guy that c.captain and myself have both sailed with falls into the 1%, a typical down the bayou boy. That probably has the word captain on his mail box at home, uses it in his personal email, along with his voice mail on his cell phone. (bro ya have reached captain so and so, leeves a message and I will calls ya bak) I absolutly refused to call him captain. It was always big boat driver sir. that used to piss him off so bad.

Another thing I used to do to him, when they would make out the grocery list, I would always write down a case of preparation H. he would see it and yell who wrote this down and what do ya want it for. I would always tell him it is for his hair. He would ask what does preparation H have to do with my hair. I would very kindly tell him, it probably won’t grow any hair, but it will make his head shrink up to fit the little bit that he has. Oh he would get so mad.

I didn’t really care though I wanted to get kicked off his boat. One of the only times I actually worked on a supply boat, and very short time at that.

I meant to say he was adamant about being called “Chief Mate” with emphasis on the Chief. I started calling him 1st Mate because he was such a tool and hated it. He would make a big deal about claiming to be equivalent to a Chief Engineer so I liked to pester him.

I’ve never heard anyone else use 1st Mate. I still do occasionally but it’s just to bust someone’s chops.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;84357] He would make a big deal about claiming to be equivalent to a Chief Engineer so I liked to pester him.
[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I know him.

K.C.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;84357]I meant to say he was adamant about being called “Chief Mate” with emphasis on the Chief. I started calling him 1st Mate because he was such a tool and hated it. He would make a big deal about claiming to be equivalent to a Chief Engineer so I liked to pester him.

I’ve never heard anyone else use 1st Mate. I still do occasionally but it’s just to bust someone’s chops.[/QUOTE]

All this is reminding my days on Tankers, one stands out. I was the Chief Engineer, and on that tanker the Captain, The Mate, The Chief, the First, and the rest all worked hard and got dirty and greasy with oil. One day, as we were working TOGETHER, I called the Captain “Captain,” he looked at me, put his hand on my shoulder and said "John, when we work together like this call me Bob, in front of the crew, on the Bridge, call me “Captain” and I’ll call you “Chief” in the Engine Room and in front of the Crew. It was a happy ship.

Sniff. Sniff. Sorta brought a tear to my eye.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;84362]All this is reminding my days on Tankers, one stands out. I was the Chief Engineer, and on that tanker the Captain, The Mate, The Chief, the First, and the rest all worked hard and got dirty and greasy with oil. One day, as we were working TOGETHER, I called the Captain “Captain,” he looked at me, put his hand on my shoulder and said "John, when we work together like this call me Bob, in front of the crew, on the Bridge, call me “Captain” and I’ll call you “Chief” in the Engine Room and in front of the Crew. It was a happy ship.[/QUOTE]

That’s typical I think. If you call the the captain “captain” out of respect doesn’t it make sense to do the same for the Chief? Plus I think that when the senior officers call each other by the first names, at least on a deep sea ship, it gives the rotary junior offices the impression that ship is being run by a clique that they are not a part of. I like to give new officers the impression that they are a valuable part of the crew and not outsiders but that we are together to run the ship, not be pals.

Vessel with smaller crews are a different matter. I’d seem weird doing things that way on a tug for instance.

K.C.

I hate being a called Captain and my name. It makes me feel like I am on Gilligan’s Island. The crew does not understand but why should they.

Skipper… . . . .!

[QUOTE=BMCSRetired;84369]I hate being a called Captain and my name. It makes me feel like I am on Gilligan’s Island. The crew does not understand but why should they.[/QUOTE]

All the world’s a stage, And all the men and women merely players;

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;84371]All the world’s a stage, And all the men and women merely players;[/QUOTE]

Oh goodie, we are going Shakespeare:

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

[QUOTE=cappy208;84363]Sniff. Sniff. Sorta brought a tear to my eye.[/QUOTE]

Now Now Cappy - We called for a cab.

[QUOTE=cmakin;84370]Skipper… . . . .![/QUOTE]

Oh - You Big Bad Boy you

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;84373]Oh goodie, we are going Shakespeare:

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.[/QUOTE]

Well yes, there is that.

K.C.

My point was that we all act our roles. We all act differently at home then at work, I’m a husband to my wife, a father to my kids but the captain to the crew. When it’'s showtime we do our thing.

K.C.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;84381]My point was that we all act our roles. We all act differently at home then at work, I’m a husband to my wife, a father to my kids but the captain to the crew. When it’'s showtime we do our thing.

K.C.[/QUOTE]

Of course, Captain. We are having fun on this thread as well we should.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;84385]Of course, Captain. We are having fun on this thread as well we should.[/QUOTE]

Well, I was having more fun before reading “Out, out, brief candle!”

K.C.

My <Thanks> button missed his Watch - Again.

There is no such license, but there can be a position of chief mate on a limited tonnage vessel.