Current Hiring in US GOM

Every empire has an end.
Yea, that is what I want because guess what I still have nightmares about it.

Yea, who? White men from the academy? Or the other hawsepipers that’s are also men?

Still never heard about girl hawsepiper engineers…
Please produce one and I’ll STFU and when I get $1,200,000

Being a hawsepiper engineering officer is something to be proud of…and a female on top of it, especially proud. Probably aren’t too many of them out there. I for one have never met one.

I’d hope when I do, it won’t be you or someone with an attitude like you though. I don’t feel like we should do penance or have remorse because most of us are men. The behavior you claim you endured? I don’t support nor condone it. I treat people the same no matter their gender. I go by work ethic and character. You just want blood…and no amount will make you stfu it seems.

4 Likes

What attitude? You mean saying the truth and just wanting to work, actually liking engineering and wanting earn an honest living? Even if it’s hard work where you get filthy and cut your hands open? Setting aside everything else in your life for the fucking machinery and the operations of the plant for the fucking company that doesn’t give a fuck about you that gets the government money because they are pretending to economically propel women when they aren’t? Because you believed the lie that if you work hard and hone in your skills you will get a chief spot without having to sleep with someone for them just to say the truth that you are a good engineer. Yea that’s a terrible attitude.

You never met me so how would you know what my attitude is? If you know anything about math, I was the first woman at that place to do what I did. There were no others so the odds are that the problem was never me. Just a terrible company with no ethics or morals.

Edit: and with shitty incompetent engineers

When will your blog be up?

2 Likes

When my computer gets back from the shop.

That’s a shitty excuse. With your credentials, experience, and in this job market, you can afford a cheap chromebook in the meantime…and don’t feed me any bullshit that the other end of those emails are only on that computer.

When will your blog be up?

3 Likes

Would be really great if this thread got back to it’s title…to discuss actually hiring in the GOM currently.

8 Likes

True and also some information on the current benefit packages. Though the pay looks OK we all know 401K and insurance make up a big part of the real compensation for comparison purposes.

1 Like

Come on. 25 years and dual licenses and you’ve never heard of sexual assault and sexual harassment? Don’t be daft.

2 Likes

Thanks for spelling out the acronym being used. Never heard the acronym until queen bee started using it.

2 Likes

I would agree with this. GOM has the luxury of not being very far or long from a visit to port so it’s usually easier to have a port engineer or 3rd party company resolve the problem. Plus you don’t have the training centers used for foreign mariners by global shipping companies that are basically colleges for mariners. In those centers you can come in with zero experience and get tons of theoretical knowledge over months of attendance (sometimes longer) before stepping on a vessel. The GOM is completely the other way around, you get on a vessel usually knowing nothing and hands on experience is the foundation of your learning. This isn’t a problem if you luck up and are put on a vessel with phenomenal mentors but that’s usually not the case.

5 Likes

Perhaps for OSV. And to some extent drillships will fly out techs. Generally it’s still cheaper if you can complete repairs “in-house”.

I worked with both types of workers, ones who only worked GOM and ones who started blue water shipping. One isn’t necessarily better for than the other, I think the primary thing is diversity of experience and training.

And companies that offer paid OEM training. Is that still a thing these days amongst companies hiring in the gulf?

It’s no doubt cheaper if you can make the repairs in house but in my history most of the major repairs were done by a 3rd party. Can’t say a bunch of GOM companies pay for OEM training these days. Perhaps just the bigger companies such as HOS, ECO, etc… but even then I’m not confident.

Definitely something people should be factoring in when looking at jobs down there. Not just equipment/skills training but also whether required license/credential training is offered as a benefit. I know that can be a larger financial burden for mates than engineers usually.

1 Like

I’ve read most of this thread & I think something else that hasn’t been mentioned that should be factored in is there’s little to no job security in the GoM. This GoM boom isn’t going to last, none of them do. Maybe in a year, two or three it’s very likely gCaptain forum will be flooded with hundreds of mariners complaining how they were mistreated, robbed & unjustly fired/laid-off by their previous employer who promised them the moon. I wouldn’t recommend anyone go to the GoM if they had a mortgage, car payments, their kids private school payments or kids college to payoff. I know scores of mariners who trudged through & paid for all of those things with GoM jobs but I also know dozens of others who went into financial ruin because of the lack of them.

3 Likes

Guess you weren’t taken hostage in a trailer

1 Like

If this is you patiently waiting, hopefully you’ll find another forum when you get impatient.

3 Likes

Guess they will have negative PR till the end of days. I’m not even the only person that had beef with them I am just the most vocal about it.

Now they have no choice but to behave and stop harassing women and pay them the same as everyone else. It’s all public not secret. Also not secret that they have discriminatory hiring practices and don’t have many female engineers.

There is a feature on gcaptain where by you can screen out tiresome posts by crazy people.