Cruiser Aground in Tokyo Bay

In all seriousness, I don’t mean to belittle a captain at a traumatic time in their career. I honestly wonder how the following situation occurs given the nav tools at our disposal, and the manpower available to a cruiser’s nav team, not forgetting the pilot who was doubtless also aboard…

From Maritime Executive:
"On January 31, the Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser USS Antietam went aground in Tokyo Bay near Yokosuka, damaging her propellers. A Navy spokesman said that over 1,000 gallons of hydraulic oil was discharged into the bay as a result of the grounding. No injuries were reported. Pacific Fleet said in a statement that the incident occurred while the Antietam was anchoring and that an investigation is ongoing. Early reports suggested that Antietam dragged anchor due to high winds, but the San Diego Union Tribune provided a conflicting account: sources told the Tribune that the cruiser was getting under way when her propellers struck the bottom.

“The Navy is still working to determine the exact location that the spill took place and will take measures to minimize impacts to the environment as appropriate,” U.S. Pacific Fleet said in a statement. “The Navy is cooperating with the Government of Japan and Japanese Coast Guard in response to this issue.” Captain Joseph Carrigan is the Antietam’s commanding officer. He previously served as C/O of the guided missile destroyer USS Russell…"

I have no doubt the captain is very competent. I just wonder what the factors are in an incident involving an organization notoriously intolerant of groundings. Shallow anchorage? Unfamiliar with the port.

[QUOTE=freighterman;194827]In all seriousness, I don’t mean to belittle a captain at a traumatic time in their career. I honestly wonder how the following situation occurs given the nav tools at our disposal, and the manpower available to a cruiser’s nav team, not forgetting the pilot who was doubtless also aboard…

From Maritime Executive:
"On January 31, the Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser USS Antietam went aground in Tokyo Bay near Yokosuka, damaging her propellers. A Navy spokesman said that over 1,000 gallons of hydraulic oil was discharged into the bay as a result of the grounding. No injuries were reported. Pacific Fleet said in a statement that the incident occurred while the Antietam was anchoring and that an investigation is ongoing. Early reports suggested that Antietam dragged anchor due to high winds, but the San Diego Union Tribune provided a conflicting account: sources told the Tribune that the cruiser was getting under way when her propellers struck the bottom.

“The Navy is still working to determine the exact location that the spill took place and will take measures to minimize impacts to the environment as appropriate,” U.S. Pacific Fleet said in a statement. “The Navy is cooperating with the Government of Japan and Japanese Coast Guard in response to this issue.” Captain Joseph Carrigan is the Antietam’s commanding officer. He previously served as C/O of the guided missile destroyer USS Russell…"

I have no doubt the captain is very competent. I just wonder what the factors are in an incident involving an organization notoriously intolerant of groundings. Shallow anchorage? Unfamiliar with the port.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they were too busy reading the latest Tweet on #real Donald Trump???
New orders may be received any time.