Covid-19 News/Updates

That is BMWs only. How much is that of total German export to UK?
How many of the BMWs imported to UK are made in the US, or other countries?
BMW also own assembly plants in the UK. Are car assembled in UK counted in the 20%?

dont know where you got that number, the only number talked about is 20% of total german car production.
Factories shutting down for the wuhan has stalled all that of course so historical figures may not mean much anymore I think unfortunately?

Time to move from shipping to working for a liquidator, that will be the only booming industry for the next few years.
The wuhan is the second low pressure of the perfect storm to hit the OnG sector
I see my old company Ensco Valaris about the scrap half the fleet or the liquidator will

Yesterday the death count here was again 0 and 3 hospitalizations. The wearing of masks, which is overly advertised in the US, doesn’t help at all or very little. Proof of this is that during the entire Corona period nobody here was seen wearing masks in the streets, only in the public transport system such as trams, busses, trains, metros and of course airplanes. We only keep rather strict to social distancing of 1.5 m and in the beginning lockdown. It looks like that lack of discipline, the independent American spirit, is may be the cause of the present situation which is getting out of hand now rather quickly. The living conditions in parts of the country doesn’t help either in this respect.

Two weeks ago a demonstration in Amsterdam got out of hand and grew to 10.000 participants instead of the expected 1000. The square was packed but not one infection was reported afterwards! It also proofs that in the open air it is almost impossible to catch the virus.

Hong Kong disagrees with you four total deaths, broad mask compliance, high density. But more importantly, it absolutely helps and that’s why it is continually and increasingly recommended. So why suggest against ‘helpful’? What does that do for anyone?

Everybody can decide for himself what is best and I certainly donot step into that. I only tried to explain our experience with masks so far. When you have near zero death not wearing masks is by itself an interesting fact. Remember that we are with 17 million living on a postage stamp and overpopulated as compared to the US, that doesn’t work in our favor either but nevertheless.

in australia every time there is a protest a few people get it.
One pub opened and 80 got it, bars will be shutdown again for sure.
How many people get tested after 100,000 are at a protest?
Deaths are not the issue its all the punters that will need hospital treatment

1 Like

There are some vaccines currently on trial. Hopefully they work.

The SARS Cov-1 virus appeared in humans in 2002/03 and there are still no vaccine for it.
The SARS Cov-2 virus (that causes Covid-19) first appeared in humans +/- 6 months ago (and has been known for abt. 5 months)
There is no guarantee that a vaccine or cure for Covid-19 will ever be found. (Or, if it does, that it will have a long lasting effect)

Another fairly recent epidemic (MERS-Cov) first appeared in 2012 and is still around in the Middle East. No effective vaccine exists to date.

This is true but there has been not nearly the same effort exerted. Yes, there’s no guarantee of a vaccine at any particular date or at all.

Somebody was saying to me they never found vaccines for those other ones because the viruses went away before they could, you can’t test a vaccine works unless a lot of people have whatever you are trying to vaccinate for.

So even if they invested money in a potential MERS-Cov or SARS Cov-1 vaccine there would be no way to study if it worked.

New Zealand is still seeing cases of the virus but they are all returning citizens and are in isolation. There have been no further cases of community infection. It looks like we have to keep our borders strictly controlled until the rest of the world gets a handle on it.

No apologies for appearing thick here but what is the difference between a vaccine and an antibody therapy?
Do they achieve the same thing by different methods i.e. cure it or does one of them prevent it and the other one avoid it?
Or is it just the language?

Blood plasma from recovered Covid-19 patients are showing promising signs in tests:

Has anybody tried leeches yet?

1 Like

IDK for sure, off the top of my head I believe that the propose of the vaccine is to cause the body to produce antibodies.

2 Likes

A vaccine trains your body to produce antibodies of the right sort when you’re exposed to the virus/whatever.

Antibody therapy uses antibodies that some other person or animal has generated to directly attack the virus.

3 Likes

Great satire…

3 Likes

Bloomberg’ simple explanation…

To quote Churchill:
“This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.”

3 Likes