Core Group Resources in Houston

So this company Core Group Resources appears to be a job agency, head hunter, or whatever you want to call them. Has anyone had any dealings with them? Are they legit or just a scam for mariners?

I went through Core Group to obtain the job that I have right now in the GoM and was very pleased with the communication and help they provided.

I haven’t dealt with them beyond just discussing a few opportunities, but they’re not one of the sleazy head hunters that charge YOU for a job. They are paid by the company.

[QUOTE=bell47;160910]So this company Core Group Resources appears to be a job agency, head hunter, or whatever you want to call them. Has anyone had any dealings with them? Are they legit or just a scam for mariners?[/QUOTE]

My experience:

Not sleazy, knowledgeable, certainly not a headhunter, widely connected, very busy, and getting bigger by the year.

Company is charged, not mariner.

I subscribed to their Facebook page and get the feed just to see what pops up.

Core Group is a good recruiting agency. Employers must pay all fees and there is never any charge to the mariner.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;160961]Core Group is a good recruiting agency. Employers must pay all fees and there is never any charge to the mariner.[/QUOTE]

It’s illegal to charge a seaman fees for employment. See 46 U.S. Code 10314.

We wish this was enforced.

lolZ God forbid the dept of justice do their job by looking in an industry magazine

[QUOTE=z-drive;161072]lolZ God forbid the dept of justice do their job by looking in an industry magazine[/QUOTE]

I almost got caught up in one of those scams way back in 84. I saw a job listed in the Chronicle and called the outfit in Galveston. Their bad, I guess, they gave me the number of the employer (Gleneagle) and I dealt with them directly and got hired on pretty quickly. The guys in Galveston kept leaving messages on my home phone (lots when I got back after a month or so). Oops, sorry. . . . never paid them.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;161030]It’s illegal to charge a seaman fees for employment. See 46 U.S. Code 10314.[/QUOTE]

Of course its illegal. However, Compass, Progressive, and numerous other headhunters charge mariners for finding them a job, and demand a power of attorney to collect the seaman’s paycheck. some headhunters pay kickbacks to office personnel at the boat operating companies. The U.S. Attorney has never shown and interest in enforcing this law, which is only a civil violation with up to a $10,000 fine. The headhunters operate with impunity stealing from mariners due to Us Government inaction.