"Coonass Blacklist" alive and well?

Anybody that has been around for awhile and likes to know what kind of “consumer reports” a prospective employer runs on you before hiring you knows that it aint just your credit report.

It started out as Marine Index Bureau. Then switched names to Pretiem Services. Then again to HireCheck. Now they are First Advantage.

Funny thing was though is that mariners and other civil privacy advocates have been up their butts every step of the way.

Everytime they changed names they seemed to “lose” some information or kind of whitewash what they did have.

You used to get the dreaded “no rehire” from a former employer and that did not look good when applying to a new one.

I always added the “hundred word statement” so i didn’t have to explain myself during an interview. My side was right next to theirs, in black and white.

They don’t ask or tell even that any more.

Talking to an HR guy here recently it sounds like privacy act advocates have cracked down on them so much that it has to be “public record” for it to get reported on the old “MIB”.

So unless you get a settlement, sue, or do anything else that creates a public and not a medical record then you stay under the radar.

I am not sure about Jones act settlements or maintenance and cure.

Waiting to find that one out first hand.

Even if i do get maintenace and cure as long as I never sue it should not be a problem.

If there was a record of me suing I would never work for a Jones Act employer again.

In conclusion…

Hats off to the ACLU and Privacy Advocates. Keep up the good work and continue to make MIB no more.

Employers might as well just run generic internet background checks.

[B][U]IMHO…BIG BROTHER IS INDEED WATCHING!![/U][/B]

want a copy of YOUR REPORT??much like your credit report…you are entitled to request ONE A YEAR free of charge!!

http://www.fadv.com/

http://www.fadv.com/uploadedFiles/Screening_And_Assessment/I9_EVerify_Solutions/FreeReport_requestforcopyofconsumerreportpacket.pdf

While this might be true it has nothing to do with the fact that most of these personnel managers all hunt and fish together on the weekends and holidays. Often they won’t hire somebody recommended yet they don’t have a problem hiring a guy through a headhunter who never even played with a boat in the bathtub as a kid. Unfortunately this is how it is. In these days of everybody having a cell phone your best bet is go to work, do your job to the best of your ability, keep your mouth shut and then go home. If we can survive until 2012 maybe things will go back to the era of all you needed was a pulse and a license and it didn’t matter if you pissed off Boudreaux when you told him “The Saints Suck.”

I am told on good authority that there was such a list at one time but the “blacklist” has gone by the wayside since it’s really not needed. Employers can check your credit score and many use that as an indication of your character, they can also do the same background check anyone can do once they have your SSN.
All that being said I don’t believe this GOM oil slowdown will be going on much longer though the USA recession in general is going to be around quite awhile longer. Oil prices are going up and I expect $100 oil pretty soon. There is some regulatory uncertainty in the GOM right now but this will be straightened out eventually. There have many years of poor oversight and reckless behavior in the GOM. The general public would like to know there won’t be another Horizon incident and the regulators are moving at their normal snails pace to insure everything is OK. Once gasoline hits $4+/gallon in the USA things will open up quickly in the GOM [regulators be damned] and the price is heading in that direction. At $5/gal the regulators will let them bring the DWH’s BOP out of mothballs and put it back to work !! Politics/money trumps all, always has.

[QUOTE=tengineer;45333]I am told on good authority that there was such a list at one time but the “blacklist” has gone by the wayside since it’s really not needed. Employers can check your credit score and many use that as an indication of your character, they can also do the same background check anyone can do once they have your SSN.
All that being said I don’t believe this GOM oil slowdown will be going on much longer though the USA recession in general is going to be around quite awhile longer. Oil prices are going up and I expect $100 oil pretty soon. There is some regulatory uncertainty in the GOM right now but this will be straightened out eventually. There have many years of poor oversight and reckless behavior in the GOM. The general public would like to know there won’t be another Horizon incident and the regulators are moving at their normal snails pace to insure everything is OK. Once gasoline hits $4+/gallon in the USA things will open up quickly in the GOM [regulators be damned] and the price is heading in that direction. At $5/gal the regulators will let them bring the DWH’s BOP out of mothballs and put it back to work !! Politics/money trumps all, always has.[/QUOTE]

Pretty funny, but pretty damn true…just wonder what all will be stuck in Brazil by that time…

[QUOTE=anchorman;45336]Pretty funny, but pretty damn true…just wonder what all will be stuck in Brazil by that time…[/QUOTE]

Bro on Christmas day myself and my Engineer took a road trip through all parts of Bayou Vista, Berwick, Morgan City, Amelia, and Larose. There is plenty of equipment available to do the job. I just hope it all gets utilized in a hurry. On the bright side we are almost halfway through the current monkeystration we have on capital hill so if extensions and bailouts will keep us alive just a little bit longer maybe we will all see some improvement in the future. I am lucky as I have a good job with a great company but we all know that it can come tumbling down in a hurry.

only 2 days that matter the day you get on and the day you get off

The powers that be are calling for $4/gal this summer and $5/gal by next year. East coast drilling has been suspended, Gom drilling permits are a pain in the ass, West coast drilling has been suspended, and ANWAR is untouchable.

Let’s see how long this lasts when “soccer mom” is payin $5/gal to fill up her Hummer.

I predict whoever is Pres. will help open up all 4 at once and I will be standing there with my license in hand. Another oil boom is coming and soon. Day rates will go through the roof and I will build my nest egg then.

I expect to retire well before 65 thanks to our thirst for black gold and our lack of investing in the next stock bubble (green energy alternatives).

If you don’t have your offshore oil field paper work in order now is the time. Be ready when the rush hits.

My two cents.