Cooking at Sea

I decided on the top 5 based on the feedback I got from this site, my crewmembers, and my own observations. This is my longest video so far at almost 10 minutes!-

Here’s an easy way to make cookies-

1 Like

New video
Watch “Cooking at Sea puts out a good meal in 45 minutes with no prep” on YouTube

New video is up- https://youtu.be/MeNLNhNSkzw I make an apple pie in this one

New video is up- Watch “How To Make Easy Beef Stroganoff” on YouTube

I think that Shell Tankers used to do one every Saturday out East.

IMG_1259

Officers mess Shell Tanker Ondina.

On every Shell Tanker an Indonesian rice table was served every Sunday. It was the favorite meal of the week. Most of us did not go to breakfast on Sunday morning just be in good shape at noon for that treat. Especially when sailing with Chinese crews, which happened quite often, it was extra good.

4 Likes

Do you have the dough recipe?

Do you use the same recipe for pizza dough?

Yes you can use the recipe for pizza also. I will post it as soon as I can

Watch “How To make blueberry pancakes with blueberry syrup” on YouTube

This is the one I was talking about. If you are new to it and it causes you trouble, try baking some soda breads. Soda breads dont use yeast. Instead they use baking soda or baking powder. Some of the are really good.

Dough Recipe from Tom (good for making bread, pizza, crescent rolls, dinner rolls,
and cinnamon rolls)
This takes a little practice to get good at. Don’t get discouraged if the 1st
batch isn’t perfect.
Ingredients-
• 2 cups warm water (110-115 F)
• 3 packs of Fleischmann’s Active Dry Yeast (0.25 oz per pack total .75 oz., 3
pack)
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 sticks butter (melted)
• 5 lb bag of flour
• 4 cups milk
• 2 small handfuls of salt
In a large mixing bowl, combine yeast and 1/2 cup of the sugar. Add the warm water.
Let sit 15-20 minutes to activate yeast. You should see it foaming up. In a separate
bowl, combine 5 lb flour together with salt, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar. If mixing
by hand, add half the flour mix to the water bowl along with 2 cups of milk and half
the melted butter and mix with wooden spoon. If using a mixer with a dough hook,
add all the flour, milk, and melted butter at the same time. Put the soft dough out
onto a well-floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes until the dough is very soft
and pliable. Bag up in 1 gallon freezer bags. Freeze two and refrigerate the other one.
Dough will rise in the fridge, just not as fast as when it’s at room temperature. When
you are ready to use, pull out of the fridge. Open the bag and throw the dough on
the counter to knock the air out of it. Use about 1/3 piece for a loaf of bread. Use
about 1/2 a piece for cinnamon rolls. Use 1/4 to 1/3 of a chunk to make a pizza.

2 Likes

New channel trailer for YouTube https://youtu.be/METM05tQECc

1 Like

Do you have any temp and time recommendations for making different things with it?

1 Like

For pizza dough I use the Reinhart method. I always make the dough one day ahead, let it rest in the fridge overnight, dough is smoother then and less fuzz on pizza day!

This is close to the ingredients and methods I use for my pizza as well. It makes really good dough. Works great in a big green egg with a pizza stone and temps mimicking a brick oven.

A big green egg, something I could use. Great kitchen or rather garden tool.

I forgot about some pizza dough that I made last saturday. Today the dough looked and felt good so for test I baked it as a foccacia bread and it worked out very well. I knew the dough could be kept in the fridge for three days but would not have thought it was still good even after five days!

I’s just a poor boy from the Garden State so tell me how do you make the gravy part of biscuits and gravy? Another of the top 5 from my GOM time.

Easy. . . the way I make it is to get a pound of the cheapest breakfast sausage I can get. The fattier the better. The kind that are “premium cuts” or “lean” won’t hack it. I first brown up the sausage, rendering out all of the fat. I drain the fat, keeping two tablespoons. Either keep the rest to use like bacon fat, or toss. I return the two tablespoons of fat to the now empty pan and heat, stirring with a whisk. If you don’t have enough rendered sausage fat, make up the difference with shortening or any other cooking oil (other than olive oil). Add two tablespoons of all purpose flour to the heated fat and whisk until smooth, carefully regulating the heat so it doesn’t burn. This mixture is called a roux. Cook it for a couple of minutes to get the flour taste out. Then add two cups of milk, half and half, or a mixture to the roux and whisk until the roux is dissolved in the milk. Control the heat and warm until the gravy starts to thicken and bubble. Salt and pepper to taste, and add the cooked sausage. Mix until all is warm and it is good to go.

2 Likes

I don’t know if Catering training and certification is relevant to this thread, but here is an article about a company that offers such services:

1 Like

Personally before frying I remove the sausage casings and break up the pieces. If no sausages are available minced pork as a substitute will do very well.

I always add some cream to the milk, makes it smoother and richer. Dried or preferably fresh sage leaves can be added, this goes very well with pork meat. And for me the secret ingrediënt: a little bit of Golden Syrup and two teaspoons of chicken powder!

2 Likes