Cooking at Sea

Sometime I need to think like someone who hasn’t cooked before. I thought about this for awhile and couldn’t figure it out. Thanks for your assistance!

No problem. I used to cook competition chili. I also add chorizo when browning the meat and while it adds a layer of flavor, you gotta get rid of that grease. . . .

Definitely! I drain the meat and if I’m using burger that isn’t very lean, I also put it in a dish with paper towels to soak up the rest.

you can always float a couple oil zorbant diapers on top for awhile…most tugs have a pretty ample supply onboard

2 Likes

New video today- The Spanglish sandwich-https://youtu.be/wfjNcEe-9es

1 Like

A traditional very popular Dutch meal on board was Captain’s Dinner, because it was a typical meal served to Dutch sea captains on the long voyages of the Dutch East Indies Company (VOC). Legumes and salted meats could survive the damp holds of the ships, but were still a treat compared with the unpalatable hardtack rations doled out to the rest of the crew.

IMG_2465

The basis of the dish is the pulse called ‘Kapucijners’. It translates to marrowfat pea but those are green and it should be brownish, more like the field pea. I understand that this variety still only exists in the Netherlands, it is more or less a forgotten variety kept alive solely by this traditional meal. It is served with diced and pan fried bacon, also the cooked out fat is added to the beans. Furthermore raw and fried onions, sliced cornichons, red beet, pickled silver skin onions and piccalilli is added as well as boiled potatoes or potato salad. With a luxury version stewed meat is also added but I think that this is overdone.

It is winter grub but we did not mind that it was also served in the tropics, on the contrary! Even today it still is a popular dish ashore served in many restaurants especially in the autumn and winter time. This simple meal survived almost unchanged throughout the last 400 years which is remarkable.

5 Likes

There’s a place in WA that stocks them. I ordered a kg because I now cook heavily vegetarian and am always looking for new flavors. Shipping is three times the order but what the hell, special is special. Now I have to dig out the Delft bowls to serve it in :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Earl

PS. My grandfather came from Rotterdam.

1 Like

With these relatively high shipping costs I would have ordered 2 or 3 kg, they are pretty addictive…:slightly_smiling_face: There are quite some Dutch stores in the US where they probably have this item in stock.

IMG_2470

My granddaughter is vegetarian and last Sunday I cooked for her an Indian dish with green lentils, chickpeas and sweet potatoes. It is really simple and everybody liked it. The recipe is here. I served it with Raita, a yoghurt based sauce and Naan bread.

My grandfather, father and I were also born in Rotterdam!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing!

For anyone interested in larger scale cooking there is an old cookbook that may be of help, “The Cookbook of the United States Navy” 1945 Edition. I have looked through it and its not as bad as one would expect from 1945. Basic cooking hasn’t changed.
I understand used book sources like Amazon or Alibris have a newer navy cookbook and possibly in KIndle. But I have no idea of its contents.

For smaller tug crews there are regular cookbooks with recipes for 6-8 that are based on recipes for cook ahead and ready when needed, or one pot/slow cooker/casserole which can be good for heavy weather.

If you have worked the line in a good kitchen you have a good foundation.

1 Like

I’m definitely going to get my hands on a copy of that book. If anyone’s interested I finally finished the draft of the guidebook. I am trying to upload it to the publisher tomorrow morning. Came in at just over 250 pages.

The standard large quantity cookbook from 1928 to the 1950s was “Quantity Cookery: Menu Planning and Cooking for Large Numbers” by Lenore Richards & Nola Treat. One of the editions, I think 1946, had a recipe for fried chicken from a motel owner named Harlan Sanders (nothing special, it was the pressure fryer that made KFC what it was).

Anyhow, in the later editions the ingredients may be out of fashion (fat, salt, etc.) but supposedly the proportions they give for scaled up quantities are still valid. Abe Books (https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=Richards+and+Treat&tn=&kn=Cookbook&isbn=) has editions from first on down for el cheapo prices.

Cheers,

Earl

1 Like

One of my favorite memories of Rotterdam is having oujmiters (sp?) at a workers cafe in the drydock area. I’m looking forward to visiting friends in Amsterdam next fall.

2 Likes

It is written as ‘uitsmijter’, literally an out-thrower. The official English translation is ‘bouncer’. I searched for the word in the Dutch etymology bank but there is confusion as to the origin of that word.

Three possibilities are given of which the third one in my opinion is the most likely one: Ordering an ‘uitsmijter’ just before closing time of the pub, just before being thrown out. Add to this that it is pure pub and hangover food. For the latter baked bacon is also added.

The word ‘uitsmijter’ referring to this egg dish was first mentioned in the literature in 1899. The real deal is a large plate with three or four buttered slices of preferably sourdough bread covered with ham, cheese and three or four fried eggs. The warm eggs melts the cheese a little bit which adds to the joy of the food. A little salad with tomato and sliced cornichons on the side is always added.

Bon appetit!

5 Likes

raw
Here’s the cover for my upcoming guidebook.

2 Likes

Here’s my new channel trailer. You get to see what I look like haha. Sound isn’t great might need some equipment soon. Thanks for watching!
Watch “Cooking at Sea Channel Trailer” on YouTube

2 Likes

The newest video is up! Stepped it up a little for this one-https://youtu.be/wyvU1321nO8

I want to do a video on the top 5 (or maybe 10) mistakes new cooks make. Can I get some suggestions please? I already asked my crew and want to see what the rest of you have to say. Thanks!!

new banner for the YouTube channel

Over-beating? Over-folding? Warm hands/materials for pastries?

1 Like