Cooking at Sea galley tips

Or the cooks that make perfect steamed vegetables then put them in a steam tray for an hour before lunch starts.

2 Likes

Here’s a tip- clean the $%#&@% galley if you want to go home!

And do these things

Continuing my rant with an article I wrote last year-
http://usmerchantmariner.com/363-2/

"The following things need to be done at the end of each galley work day (DAILY)"

You forgot laying out an enticing display of night rats before dousing the galley lights for the night.

2 Likes

On British Navy ships the Cheesy Wham Bam is a very popular and a kind of standard issue food item.

1 Like

I’ve sailed with some amazing cooks. Several jobs with unorganized start-ups, (break-outs and salvage) we had cooks show up with no idea what’s on board and how many to feed but put out a great meal.
Breakfast tacos are a common favorite but another from South Texas is Huevos Ahogados. (drowned eggs) The simple recipe is in a large skillet, fill with a thin salsa picante to about 1 inch or 25.4 mm. Bring to a boil and poach the eggs as needed. I’ve had them served with home fries, fried rice, griddled plantains or hash browns.

1 Like

Tiger sauce

1 Like

You and your tiger sauce…

1 Like

It’s pretty much a no-sail item on my boat…I can run without a heading source or autopilot but no sauce…

1 Like

The Dutched once occupied for hundreds of years the entire Indonesian archipelago. As a heritage the Dutch and especially the Dutch Navy have a strong preference for Indonesian food. For instance coming Sunday I will cook for the visiting family and friends Ayam Paniki. Don’t panick, this simple dish originating from the island of Sulawesi is easy to make! The word ‘paniki’ means bats. So yes, this dish was traditionally cooked using bat meat…

IMG_5242

Ayam Paniki

On most Dutch ships we had every Sunday an Indonesian so called rice table with many dishes. We used to skip breakfast then.

IMG_5244

We still have many Indonesian words and expressions in our language and they many Dutch, also in cooking. We imported things like carrots, cabbages, cauliflower, spring onion and many more and they still use the Dutch words as there are no substitutes for those in their language. Famous is the Dutch Navy Indonesian cookbook with 298 pages of Indonesian recipes. If you are interested translation with Google is pretty well doable.

5 Likes

Made this last night as comfort food for wife and self, and thought I’d pass it on as an alternative to all the dismal news elsewhere. It’s the way I do a version of steak frites using just one oven and one burner on the stove.

First, the potatoes, which are baked instead of fried. A lot of people think the way you get baked “fries” to be crispy is to use high heat. I have found this not to be true. The secret is to soak the “fries” in ice water for at least 45 minutes and preferably an hour.

Second, the steak, which is cooked the way I learned long agao from a chef in a really good restaurant in Brussels: sear and then finish in the oven. (I use a convection oven; if you have only a conventional one you may have to adapt.)

Now, the dance. Bring steak up to room temperature, and salt lightly. After the potatoes have finished soaking, preheat oven on convection bake to 375 deg F. Preheat cast iron pan to searing temp. Remove the potatoes from the ice water and dry – I use a salad spinner followed by a cloth towel.

Toss the cold potatoes lightly with olive oil, place on a sheet pan and stick in the oven. Start watching the potatoes like a hawk at 20 minutes.

When they are just starting to brown, sear the steak to an internal temp of 110 deg F. Then drop the oven temp to 325 F, flip the steak and stick it in the oven with the potatoes. Remove when the internal temp is 125 F. This should take less than 5 minutes.

Let rest for three minutes (important), remove the potatoes and serve with the steak on top of them.

Cheers,

Earl

6 Likes

Thanks Earl!

I might’ve learned to change my mind with this one. I think bringing them to room temp helps them cook more evenly.

Galley chemistry: Prepping cut potatoes with baking soda in water breaks down pectin at the surface and draws out starch. Roasting them afterwards results in a nice crispiness.

3 Likes

Actually just saw an American Test Kitchen YouTube video on this were they tested cooking a steak right out of the fridge or letting it come to room temperature first. Including weight loss before and after cooking and also tenderness (there is a machine that can do this) and no difference. And plenty of videos that will show you how to make a great steak from frozen without thawing.

1 Like

I have the American Test Kitchen Cookbook from a few years ago, wasn’t cheap , and some good ideas. Didn’t change the way I cook a thick steak, particularly ribeye which I cooked last night inside because of the rain. Inch and a half to 2" Got it to near room temperature while had a slight salt, pepper,and garlic rub. Seared it on a cast iron pan with small amount of butter and oil on both sides for about 5 minutes each side, then in a 350 oven(In the same pan) until temp checked to 130 or so. Let rest (It still cooks while resting) for 10-15 minutes before serving. It’s just me and my bride, so just need one. Nice reddish pink in the center. About a 1.7 lb steak.

2 Likes

About the room temperature steak. This was withn a week or two and they found it doesn’t help. You don’t have to wait the extra time.

1 Like

I don’t mind waiting. Hard to teach old dogs new tricks. I will look it up just to peruse his stuff. Crazy what that guy does. The book I have is about 6-7 years old.

1 Like

I bet a lot of people are learning new tricks now though. What else is there to do.

1 Like