Cooking at Sea galley tips

Just curious. Have you ever added corn starch (Corn flour as some call it) back into your batch of flour for the TBs of flour you took out ? Then sifted the flour again to get it mixed completely ?

1 Like

I have not, sorry. But I have always done something else the Joy mentions, which is to always measure flour either by weight or by sifting it into the measuring cup** so as not to press it down and get too much in the cup. If you fill a cup that way and then rap it on the counter a few times you’ll see that it settles quite a lot.

**and then striking off with a knife blade held perpendicular to the cup rim so it doesn’t tend to pack the flour.

1 Like

Good call. Nice tip, especially for people new to baking.

I find in baking weighing of all ingredients produces a much more consistent product across the board. You’ll never get the same volumetric measurement given product conditions, humidity, and temperature in anything.

1 Like

Indeed, unless youre an expert, dont guess at measurements in baking. Its not like regular cooking with a dash of this or that.

1 Like

If you only had one condiment what would be your go to ?

I used to rely on Season All or Lawrys Seasoning Salt.when I was younger but have since been playing with this concoction.

Magic Dust is a common name for this condiment…

Ingredients:

½ cup paprika
¼ cup kosher salt, finely ground
¼ cup sugar
2 tbs mustard powder
¼ cup chili powder
¼ cup ground cumin
2 tbs ground black pepper
¼ cup granulated garlic
2 tbs cayenne pepper

Directions:

Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly covered container.

Yield:

About 2 ½ cups

I save plastic bottles that herbs and spices come in and load this into them to use as a shaker. You can try this on about anything and see what you think. 1/4 Cup of Kosher Salt isn’t that salt intensive.

When it comes to salt in our diet, it has been calculated that a little less than 20% comes from the salt shaker on our dining tables. The rest is in the food that has been canned, processed, baked. Iodized table salt has a different “salt flavor” than iodized salt if you haven’t used it before.

In this photo you will notice a bottle of dijon mustard. I apply a thin coating of it to various meats, chicken or fish and set it in the fridge for a few minutes to cool and dry. Then apply the condiment so that it will stick well to the meat. To the right of the dijon is a repurposed bottle of vegetable flakes. (now marked Magic Dust) Veggie Flakes can add a lot flavor to your cooking without adding harmful chemicals.

Baking is a chemistry project. . .

3 Likes

Looks like a good rub. Is it spicy with 2 tbs of cayenne powder in it? I also like to add a little brown sugar and sage to mine.

Yes ! There is some heat in it. You could throttle back on the cayenne in the recipe if you are using the Magic Dust more liberally.

I’m going to mix up a batch of yours and see how I like it with the sage and brown sugar. I’m thinking trying that with pork items.

I fall back on either Johnys or garlic salt

Its my go to with spatchcock chicken

If you have a plastic table top food dehydrator you can make your own dried vegetables. These can add a lot of flavor to the foods you cook as well as nutrition. If you can find them at the store it may be worth just purchasing them in volume. Otherwise it will require a lot of blanching, and chopping into coarse size pieces to dehydrate.

To a 10 to 15 oz can a tsp of these will be adequate. You may want to throw in a chip of butter, some black pepper, and a beef or chicken bouillon cube. If you want a rice pilaf this will flavor and add color.

My own concoction follows:

It starts with Carrots, Celery, Cabbage, Onion (which I can buy cheaper than I can process and dry them), Sweet red & green Bell Pepper, Tomato, and finally Leeks.

So I started my first batch with 1 Tb Carrots, 2 1/2 tsp Celery, 2 tsp Cabbage & Onion, 1 3/4 Bell Pepper, 1 1/2 Tomato, and 1 tsp Leeks.

I use about a teaspoon of this stuff when cooking canned corn, green or black eyed peas, hominy, along with some beef stock or part of a cube of bouillon (salty stuff so I don’t add extra salt). It could be used in other dishes such as tomato gravy or dumplings as a flavor enhancer.

After your veggies are dried well you can run them thru a food processor to get them from chips to smaller pieces. In that form it seems more appetizing to those consuming the food you cooked.

Speaking for myself, I enjoy cooking with herbs, spices, rubs and seasonings and sauces. I learned much of my cooking skills early from my Grand Mother and Great Aunt (her sister) who were of French origin.

For more info:

Making Vegetable Flakes

1 Like

I have a 12 tray dehydrator that is well used with the number of grandkids and great grandkids I have. Jerky and fruit roll-ups are turned out at least weekly.

Some of the vessels I sailed had dehydrators. I’d occasionally make jerky with this basic recipe.

Cut a London broil or top round roast across the grain about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick strips. Tenderize with a meat hammer. Put meat into a ziploc bag, add soy sauce with a teaspoon of liquid smoke. Have enough soy sauce to cover the meat. Shake and mix the bag well and press the air out. Set in refer for 3 hours, drain and lay out on a cooking sheet. Dust with your favorite seasoning (I use Tony Chacheres) and dehydrate. There are many variations.

4 Likes

Haven’t posted on this in a while. Yesterday I had a lunch with over done spaghetti noodles. What I used to do is cook them al dente. This means firm to the bite, or slightly undercooked. If I made the pasta a bit early I would immediately run it under cold water to stop the cooking process. Then I’d refill the pot and bring it almost to a boil again. Just before serving I’d put a servings worth in a strainer and dunk it back in the hot water. I was serving this over the course of a half hour as the change of watch happened so I couldnt just make it and serve it immediately. Anyway, nothing worse than mushy noodles in a noodle dish.

Or the cooks that make perfect steamed vegetables then put them in a steam tray for an hour before lunch starts.

2 Likes

Here’s a tip- clean the $%#&@% galley if you want to go home!

And do these things

Continuing my rant with an article I wrote last year-
http://usmerchantmariner.com/363-2/

"The following things need to be done at the end of each galley work day (DAILY)"

You forgot laying out an enticing display of night rats before dousing the galley lights for the night.

2 Likes

On British Navy ships the Cheesy Wham Bam is a very popular and a kind of standard issue food item.