Coffee in the CFR's

[QUOTE=ForkandBlade;162798]Because I’m not a hypocrite, I only drink organic beans, from companies that are Fair Trade, use union labor, have a non-gender based payscale for employees, institute measures to minimize their carbon footprint, use scrubbers in their ethanol fueled bean roasters for cleaner emissions, pro-gay marriage, price/cost per pound that’s based on an income sliding scale, use no MSG’s, and are dolphin friendly![/QUOTE]
Don’t forget about the solar powered coffee grinder. Ryan’s Brothers out of San Diego has some of the best coffee I have had.

As soon as the bean is roasted, the cuticle is gone and the oil in the bean starts oxidizing. Seems like small outfits have a better handle on getting it to your cup faster. As the companies get larger, their distribution realities get in the way of giving you the freshest possible roasted beans.

You can do very well with green beans (if anyone will sell them to you) and an old popcorn “air pop” machine. But I’m enough of a hypocrite that I haven’t tried it myself, only tasted the results. …real good.

On the ship we usually get Maxwell House. If we get coffee in Europe it’s often a little better quality, to my taste anyway, but when the Maxell House runs out and switch is made some of the crew will complain they don’t like it. If I have the Steward dump the European Coffee into the old Maxwell House containers then there are no complaints.

[QUOTE=Seadjon;162823]As soon as the bean is roasted, the cuticle is gone and the oil in the bean starts oxidizing. Seems like small outfits have a better handle on getting it to your cup faster. As the companies get larger, their distribution realities get in the way of giving you the freshest possible roasted beans.

You can do very well with green beans (if anyone will sell them to you) and an old popcorn “air pop” machine. But I’m enough of a hypocrite that I haven’t tried it myself, only tasted the results. …real good.[/QUOTE]

You can buy green unroasted beans online.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/store/coffee-list.html and it seems reasonable…might just try this.

The linked technique employs a heat gun and a metal dog dish or mixing bowl.

And this site looks promising

DAMMIT…c.captain/Scooter needs to post his favorite coffee and set us all straight.

More Importantly how does Jeaux feel

[QUOTE=AHTS Master;162831]DAMMIT…c.captain/Scooter needs to post his favorite coffee and set us all straight.[/QUOTE]

He said he was only a scotch snob…being from the PNW I would think he would have a designer coffee taste.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=z-drive;162832]More Importantly how does Jeaux feel[/QUOTE]

I hate to stereotype/geographically profile Jeaux, but I suspect he may be a community coffee guy. I doubt artisan coffee has penetrated the time capsule that is southern Louisiana. Not knocking community coffee, I enjoyed it when I worked down there.
and yeah I know starbucks are everywhere.

No offense taken sir, Community Dark Roast with chicory is the ambrosia of the bayou…

[QUOTE=Ctony;162834]He said he was only a scotch snob…being from the PNW I would think he would have a designer coffee taste.[/QUOTE]

at home, San Francisco Bay brand French roast whole bean from Costco. $15 or so for a 3lb bag.

onboard the ORCA nothing but the finest for my NOAA scientists, Great Value brand medium roast from Walmart. $7 or so for a 39oz can.

you’d think the stuff from Wally World would be shyte but it isn’t all that bad once you get used to the formaldehyde aftertaste.

[QUOTE=Tom B;162800]So what’s your favorite Whisky? I am currently on a Laphroig 10 kick when I am in the mood for smoke and I am buying Shieldaig Spayside Single Malt 12yr from total wine when I want something on the fruity side. I know Shieldaig does not make whisky but rather buys others and puts the Shieldaig label on it but for 30.00 a bottle I can’t beat it. I also drink everything on the rocks so a lot of the older and or higher priced stuff is lost on me.[/QUOTE]

Famous Grouse is my regular daily Scotch of choice unless someone else is buying then most any 12 year old single malt is good by me. I don’t have any favorites

I am not a Scotch snob but I don’t drink the shyte that comes in a plastic bottle with a handle either.

[QUOTE=Kraken;162807]Must be some weak ass coffee you drink in USA http://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-what-the-world-drinks
http://www.caffeineinformer.com/the-most-caffeinated-country
Not even top 20 :p[/QUOTE]

Moving to Sweden destroyed me in terms of coffee… Anything American tastes like shit now. Though I am an American, I must say our coffee is NOT our strong point! If you are in the states, buy Gevalia. Should be available in most large grocery stores. And yes, coffee is one (maybe the only) thing the square heads do better than us.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=c.captain;162843]Famous Grouse is my regular daily Scotch of choice unless someone else is buying then most any 12 year old single malt is good by me. I don’t have any favorites

I am not a Scotch snob but I don’t drink the shyte that comes in a plastic bottle with a handle either.[/QUOTE]

Ah come on! I expected more from my Gcaptain hero! In a lower price range, there is nothing wrong with Jameson. If you can afford it (which I cannot), go for Mackellan, preferably 18, thought 12 will do the trick.

Shit, better than Jameson, anyone here drinking Pendleton?

Bunnahabhain Single Malt. I can’t justify the 18 year but the 12 year is my top shelf stuff.

Nothing fancy but I’m usually pretty happy with a bottle of Black Label by my side.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;162826]On the ship we usually get Maxwell House. If we get coffee in Europe it’s often a little better quality, to my taste anyway, but when the Maxell House runs out and switch is made some of the crew will complain they don’t like it. If I have the Steward dump the European Coffee into the old Maxwell House containers then there are no complaints.[/QUOTE]

We have been working in Eastern Europe for so long now, all the American coffee has been gone off the rig for over a year. The only thing our provisions supplier can get is “Jacobs” from Italy. That has to be the most horrible coffee on the planet. You know it is bad when the crew is smuggling coffee onto the rig and trying to hide it from everyone else so it does not disappear. The coffee pot in the ECR stays full of smuggled coffee, good thing we got is classed as a restricted area to keep all the rif raf out.

[QUOTE=wcrutch;162847]Ah come on! I expected more from my Gcaptain hero! [/QUOTE]

sorry to disappoint but the ORCA doesn’t earn me that much money to drink topshelf booze. In fact, my daily choice to imbibe is Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale which I get for $14 for the half case at Rite Aid. I treat myself to a Famous Grouse once in awhile. In fact the same distillery makes a Black Grouse blended Scotch which costs less that Famous Grouse but is every bit as enjoyable so sometimes I go that way. Used to be a Cutty Sark and J&B drinker but found the Grouses to be better for the buck.

I fully understand the struggles of being a small businessman as I to have had to cutback on extravagances.

I went from drinking this…

To having to settle for this…

Kirkland makes 40 year old scotch? What fresh hell is this?

I’ve been getting it by the 5 pound bag off of Amazon. Can’t recall the brand now, but it’s organically grown in Oaxaca, and an honest medium roast. For 38 bucks, it’s a screaming deal. I just break up the bag into allege portions, and vacuum seal them to maintain freshness.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;162860]We have been working in Eastern Europe for so long now, all the American coffee has been gone off the rig for over a year. The only thing our provisions supplier can get is “Jacobs” from Italy. That has to be the most horrible coffee on the planet. You know it is bad when the crew is smuggling coffee onto the rig and trying to hide it from everyone else so it does not disappear. The coffee pot in the ECR stays full of smuggled coffee, good thing we got is classed as a restricted area to keep all the rif raf out.[/QUOTE]

East of Suez and west of Japan ship chandlers like to supply instant coffee no matter what you order. However I’ve been able to get Maxwell House, Folgers ground coffee or the equivalent, although sometimes it takes a few email exchanges. Once en route to Singapore I took a picture of the empty ground coffee containter and sent it to them.

Sometime the crew can go off the rails over stuff like this, better to keep things on track and focused. Usually a couple crew members have their own beans and coffee paraphernalia which is fine, as long as there is a supply of one of the standard brands I don’t think there is a legit beef. It is best to stick with one brand if possible so the issue never comes up.