CG Approves use of Electronic Charts

[QUOTE=Quimby;188933]It’s been a ling time since I took the Sperry ECDIS class (2008?), but I remember the folks I saw never validated the track lines after making them because it was such a long drawn out process. Never messed with the VDR function either. There were paper back ups, so it wasn’t a big deal. I suppose with other systems it may be intuitively obvious. Or not. I don’t work with certified ECDIS systems right now. Do they talk about track line validation in class now?[/QUOTE]

Just took the class this year, I think they called it route check or some such. But yes, it was covered.

I think that ships are going to have to show that the ECDIS is set up properly, likely the voyage plan will need a signed checklist.

I think the type of back-up is irrelevant, the purpose of the backup is if the primary method actually fails, not as a check to see if the primary sources is being used properly.

Yeah, That percentage is a surprise to me, 80% where did you get that?

[QUOTE=0rion;188936]Yeah, That percentage is a surprise to me, 80% where did you get that?[/QUOTE]

ECDIS with paper chart backup is the worse of both worlds as far as the expense, time and effort required, especially if the ship sails worldwide. Both systems have to be maintained with the latest editions and with up to date corrections, track-lines and so forth.

One thing is the requirement of carriage of ECDIS.

Another thing is that 80% percent of foreign ships are alredy paperless (no charts). (Thats what you wrote)

[QUOTE=0rion;188952]One thing is the requirement of carriage of ECDIS.

Another thing is that 80% percent of foreign ships are already paperless (no charts). (Thats what you wrote)[/QUOTE]

I don’t think he said that 80% of foreign ship will be required, but that 80% already ARE paperless. Once it become a requirement, 100% will be paperless.

No, no, no.

One thing is the future mandatory req of having an ECDIS onboard after certain tonnage.

Another thing is going paperless, that is optional if you have a redundant way of producing your route, charts. A way to do this is having a second ECDIS that operates individually from on another bank of baterries etc.( not the only way)

And yes, he did write that already 80% of foreign ships are already paperless. I did not interpret it another way.

I am refering to this.