Captain Frank Lambert, Jr Obit

New Hampshire - Captain Frank Lambert, Jr. (1924-2012), the father of six daughters, died peacefully May 11 following a brief illness. His wife of 65 years, Debbie, was at his side. Throughout the 1970’s, Frank was owner and operator of the tug “Babe” on the Chesapeake Bay, a 1906 converted steamer with 450 horsepower. He later owned the DPC tug “Nanticoke”, nicknamed the “Nanny Goat” on the bay for the number of women in Frank’s crew. Based on Frank’s motto, “If they can do it, so can I,” the Lambert family had some of the slowest commercial tugs on the Bay but never gave up acquiring their own grain barges. With most tugs passing them by, they hauled Delmarva Peninsula grain to the international ship trades in Norfolk and Philadelphia. They were often praised for riding out 12’ seas in nor’westers, which required top seamanship down to the 13 year old, but they simply in fact didn’t have the horsepower to outrun nature’s poundings. With pet cats and dog mascot, “Toto”, Frank’s wife and teen daughters lived aboard their beloved tugs as home. They held watches, did half-hour engine rounds, wasted no time on shoes, sang, chewed tobacco, and hand-sewed red-gingham curtains for the portholes. Viet Nam vet Zeke Bernard, the bo’sun in charge of the teenage girls below decks, sometimes wondered if war made more sense.Wife and first mate Debbie Lambert became the first woman in the United States to be a licensed tugboat operator. She was the first woman Able Bodied Seaman licensed in the port of Norfolk, followed by her youngest daughters, Alison and Emily, also passing their AB exams. Frank and Debbie tried to balance sea life by playing music in the galley and teaching their teen daughters how to waltz by the old diesel stove. The humorous and sometimes dangerous adventures of the Lambert tugboat family was captured in Emily Lambert’s book, “Tugging On A Heartstring.”Frank Lambert, Jr. was born in South Dakota in 1924, the son of Reverend Frank Lambert and Barbara Arden Murless Lambert. Living in Cambridge, Maryland prior to WWII, the Reverend Lambert at one point spotted his son Frank, and his younger brothers, sailing a stolen skiff on the Choptank River. His sons tried to disappear under the gunnels of the stolen boat but in fact sailed directly under the steamboat being chartered by the Reverend’s church and crowded with members of his parish. He quickly got Frank his own skiff. Frank, in his heart, never came ashore again. He sailed skipjacks from Cambridge to Baltimore with loads of watermelons and produce, for a dollar a day wage. Upon the outbreak of WWII, Frank dropped out of high school, lied about his age, and tried to join the Navy; they wouldn’t take him because he was deaf in one ear, his ear drum blown out by a fire cracker on a Fourth of July in Cambridge. He joined the U.S. Merchant Marine, sailing convoys to Europe and advancing to 3rd Mate. After serving three weeks in an Allied prison for striking an officer on the bridge, which he maintained throughout his life was deserved, Frank sailed ammunition ships in the Pacific because the pay was higher with live ammunition. After the war, Frank’s natural preference to be outdoors was complete. He went to Cornell University’s Agricultural School on the GI bill and with his new bride, Debbie, began a life of dairy farming followed by years of harness horse racing, from Maine to Maryland. Racing harness horses as a competing driver later helped his instincts in docking barges.The USCG banned the Lambert family and their 50’ wooden bugeye sailboat in the late 1960’s from a Chesapeake port, along with their flotilla of three other bugeye families, known as the “Dinghy Sinkers of America” for their propensity for singing into the night and sinking the dinghies of anchored yachts in the harbor. The Dinghy Sinkers, however, would always place the contents of the crafts on top of the flipped hulls.Frank briefly returned to college, got his masters in English, and taught school; however, within a handful of years he returned to the merchant marines as an Ordinary, upgrading to the wheelhouse and finally buying tug “Babe.”After selling their tugboat company, Frank and Debbie lived on a 51’ Morgan ketch, the “Deborah”, for 17 years with no telephone whatsoever. They fished for supper, drank rum, read books, and sailed throughout the Caribbean and alone trans-Atlantic to “see Debbie’s cousins in that damned Switzerland.” And they had a ball. Captain Frank Lambert, Jr. leaves his best friend and first mate, Debbie, their six daughters, eight grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.

They fished for supper, drank rum, read books, and sailed throughout the Caribbean and alone trans-Atlantic. And they had a ball. Captain Frank Lambert, Jr. leaves his best friend and first mate, Debbie, their six daughters, eight grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.

I think this is one of the best obits for a true maritime man I have ever had the pleasure to read and I dip the ensign to Captain Frank in is passing.

May I be so fortunate to end up as he!

What a life. He surely didn’t say, “I should have” at the age of 80. Rest in peace Captain!!

What a life! Hope mine reads as well one day…

Godspeed and safe journey, Captain. RIP.

One of the best obits I’ve ever read. R.I.P. Capt. Frank

Too bad it has that comment about going to school on the GI Bill. It gives the impression that the government considered WW2 merchant mariners worthy of veteran’s benefits.

Fairweather and following seas on your final voyage Captain Lambert.

Working around the Bay just isn’t the same these days without the one or two tug operators like Lambert that were frequently found doing the work the big guys simply did not want to do.

You know I have a right mind to do the same…lots of sweet little old tugs knockin about the NW for sale real cheap. Rshrew, you promise not to bury the “Joe’s Towing Company” or JOTOCO if I were to start it? I mean you don’t want to deny a man his retirement survival capsule.

SHELTER ISLAND 1926 87’ single 12-567 EMD $59,900./obo

PALOMAR 1926 85’ single 320HP Atlas Imperial $39,900./obo

LORNA FOSS 191? 70’ single 120hp Atlas Imperial $15,500/obo

SALLY S 1927 70’ single Cat 343 $90,000./obo (way too much but a sweet little tug)

KOKUA 1943 96’ single 12-645 EMD $69,500/obo

and my personal fav…

YEOMALT 1947 60’ single 12-71 Detroit (yeah I know) $29,900/obo

The reason I like YEOMALT is that I got to work on her towing logs back in the 70’s one summer back when she was the SUSAN H and I like her style but I hate her power. Back then she had a Cat 353 in her which was perfect. I think I would rip out the Jimmy and repower her with a Cat again or maybe a Cummins, but that costs $$$ and such a toy tug operation would be hardly a money maker. Maybe cover costs is all.

I think Captain Frank would approve of all of them…