Bulker collision in the Straits of Singapore

Poor Captain Smith, he was simply a man who believed in the new gadgets.
Just like we do today.

[ATTACH]3108[/ATTACH]

[QUOTE=powerabout;101569]People in cars drive the same way around here as well
The worst accident post WWII which caused death was 100% caused by a navy vessel
When playing a WAFI out there I keep well clear of the professionals I mean the amateurs…damn I not sure which I mean[/QUOTE]

How dare you say the obvious.

Poor Captain Smith, he was simply a man who believed in the new gadgets.
Just like we do today.

[ATTACH]3109[/ATTACH]

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;101703]Poor Captain Smith, he was simply a man who believed in the new gadgets.
Just like we do today.

[ATTACH]3109[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

Well you know, going to bed early to be fresh before the 1st class passengers the following morning, with icebergs location messages in the 4 stripes uniform pockets, not being relieved on the bridge by the Chief Officer who had probably more ship handling experience than others, not making sure that the lookouts had binoculars, not posting extra lookouts at the bow and so, at nearly full sea speed through the frigid North Atlantic with a complement of 2229 souls on board … can result in a very dreadful wake up call !

The query of priority remains the same today; ‘’ Passengers Satisfaction or Safety First ‘’ …

board … can result in a very dreadful wake up call !

[QUOTE=Topsail;101707]The query of priority remains the same today; ‘’ Passengers Satisfaction or Safety First ‘’ …[/QUOTE]

Based on today’s sad events, I’d say Passenger Satisfaction trumps everything.

Bulk Carrier Runs Over Cargo Ship in Singapore Straits [VIDEO]
http://gcaptain.com/bulk-carrier-runs-cargo-ship-singapore/

The collision (and the making of the referenced video) occurred on Saturday, 2 March Singapore Standard Time (SST).
BEKS HALIL continued on its voyage departing Singapore on 2 March
These assertions can be verified from press accounts as below and from stored individual marine traffic.com AIS tracks.

Cargo vessel damaged after sea collision, no one injured

Begin quote:
SINGAPORE: A Vietnamese-registered cargo vessel damaged one of its hatches after it collided with another vessel in the waters off Singapore on Saturday
The Maritime and Port Authority (MPA) of Singapore said the collision occurred about 3.4 kilometres south of Sisters Islands.
End Quote

MarineTraffic.com timed AIS links may become unavailable: Indicated times are UTC.
Singapore Time zone is UTC+8 Singapore Standard Time (SST)

BEKS HALIL

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?zoom=9&oldmmsi=538004295&olddate=3/2/2013%209:08:00%20AM

THUAN MY
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/datasheet.aspx?datasource=ITINERARIES&MMSI=574181000
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?zoom=9&oldmmsi=574181000&olddate=3/2/2013%208:08:00%20AM

With a little fooling around with the MarineTraffic.com zoom and move tools one can find common positions in the single track data.

Assumed pre-collision:
BEKS HALIL: 2013-03-02T04:24:00 (UTC) 12:24:00 (SST) Speed/Course: 13.9 kn /243
THUAN MY: 2013-03-02T04:26:00 (UTC) 12:26:00 (SST) Speed/Course: 12.1 kn /240

Assumed post-collision:
BEKS HALIL: 2013-03-02T04:43:00 (UTC) 12:43:00 (SST) Speed/Course: 0.8 kn /160
THUAN MY: 2013-03-02T04:44:00 (UTC) 12:44:00 (SST) Speed/Course: 2.1 kn /251

[QUOTE=dbhindin;102049]REPLY[/QUOTE]

So what’s the last of this story?

The past on this one is worth a final note.
On March 4, the original video which gCaptain had embedded

apparently shot from a ship in the vicinity was showing up as:
"Ships Accident, during voyage on the Singapore Straits on March 2nd 2013
Published on Mar 2, 2013
2 Vessels transiting the straits of singapore, and one took a bad decision, started going to port (left) and got to close to the other cargo ship, this results in a colission …"
Later in the day:"Comments are disabled for this video"
Following that the name had changed to “Ships Accident” with no description
Finally: "This video is no longer available because the uploader has closed their YouTube account."
RIP

The word REPLY you quoted was pasted in error. Sorry

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;102076]So what’s the last of this story?[/QUOTE]

The word REPLY you quoted from my post was pasted in error and now deleted.
I could not manage a strike through. Sorry.

[QUOTE=dbhindin;102084]The past on this one is worth a final note.
On March 4, the original video which gCaptain had embedded

apparently shot from a ship in the vicinity was showing up as:
"Ships Accident, during voyage on the Singapore Straits on March 2nd 2013
Published on Mar 2, 2013
2 Vessels transiting the straits of singapore, and one took a bad decision, started going to port (left) and got to close to the other cargo ship, this results in a colission …"
Later in the day:"Comments are disabled for this video"
Following that the name had changed to “Ships Accident” with no description
Finally: "This video is no longer available because the uploader has closed their YouTube account."
RIP[/QUOTE]

P&I club attnys had to ruin it for everyone!