BS in Internation Maritime Business

As a senior in high school, I’m exploring my opportunities for an enjoyable career. Growing up in MA, I’ve always loved the ocean, boats, etc. I also have an interest in some form of business. International Maritime Business sounds like something that I may want to pursue.

What fields of work are available with a degree in International Maritime Business? What can I expect entry level work to be like after graduating from a maritime academy?

[QUOTE=stan;38647]As a senior in high school, I’m exploring my opportunities for an enjoyable career. Growing up in MA, I’ve always loved the ocean, boats, etc. I also have an interest in some form of business. International Maritime Business sounds like something that I may want to pursue.

What fields of work are available with a degree in International Maritime Business? What can I expect entry level work to be like after graduating from a maritime academy?[/QUOTE]

I thought BS meant Bll Sht before reading the thread - funny. I’m not sure. Maybe one of the Academy guys will chime in.

[QUOTE=stan;38647] What can I expect entry level work to be like after graduating from a maritime academy?[/QUOTE]

Thjs is too good to pass on …

With the death of the American Merchant Marine, Your entry level work for a NVOCC (your first homework assignment is to look that one up) will include writing bills of lading for pig feed consigned to North Carolina pork ranchers. Pork, in this context means both “the other white meat” as well as the source of all political power and vacation travel.

You may end up working in a Washington DC boiler room directing the loading of foreign flag ships with American military cargoes.

In short, you will probably make good money doing nothing worthwhile to make this nation a better place for your children to live in.:wink:

[QUOTE=stan;38647]As a senior in high school, I’m exploring my opportunities for an enjoyable career. Growing up in MA, I’ve always loved the ocean, boats, etc. I also have an interest in some form of business. International Maritime Business sounds like something that I may want to pursue.

What fields of work are available with a degree in International Maritime Business? What can I expect entry level work to be like after graduating from a maritime academy?[/QUOTE]

Maritime Academy/ colleges teach Nautical Science and International maritime Business as well, if you choose deck officer course.
But you really don’t have to go Maritime Academy if your objective is International Maritime Business only.
Your ship experience will definitely help to calculate Hire Base, though.

Lots of guys who has no clue of the Ocean are doing the businesses.
There are several Exchanges where the shippers and shpowners looking for each other. i.e. Baltic Exchange, New York Exchange etc.

Better yet, If you have shippers ( refineries, manufactures, grain producers whoever need to ship their goods overseas ) on your side,
you can look for the proper vessel fo them. And learn over the shoulder how to figure out expenses for bunker, port charges etc.

On a somewhat serious note… not that the other replies aren’t correct; This has applications for working in the fields of marketing, sales and shipping of ANY commodity.

ALL the petroleum companies (both oil producers and marketers) have guys who do this day in and day out, arranging shipping, and purchase/resale of cargoes world wide.

If this has an interest to you, I am sure you could pursue it. But I am not sure that you HAVE to have a BS from a Maritime academy to enter this field.

I don’t specifically know how to successfully enter this field, since I (and most others on this forum are/am) involved in the actual marine transportation end of this job, but maybe some will chime in with the inside hows and whys on how this works.

To give you My understanding of how this works (not that my understanding is completely correct or Germain): When a customer wants Oil delivered they call several suppliers. Some of these suppliers are Oil companies. Some are oil marketers. (Look up ‘Morgan Stanley’ Or ‘Kinder Morgan’ for an idea of some particular company’s that comes to mind) Regardless of who is buying petroleum, many groups are in the business of buying huge lots of oil on the speculation market, then reselling it to the highest bidder. A form of international business is working the phone lines, to buy, sell, and arrange delivery of these goods.

Now to make it even more complicated, the actual delivery of the product is done by several means (depending on where the product is coming from, Domestic, foreign, or both) Some delivery is by Pipeline, ships, tugs and barges, and truck. So you can see that a degree from an academy is not necessarily a prerequisite to work in the field. although if you wanted to work at a company that is primarily dependent on using vessels for delivery it may be a factor in getting hired.