Broward College

Ok,

I know this might not be the best place for this but I just wanted to tell the world about this fairly new program I found out about.

They are not coast guard approved, as they mainly focus on training people to be service technicians in boat yards but I have been to a few maritime schools and this one in my opinion is the best. Perfect balance of classroom and hands on training, electricity, electronics, really high end stuff. I think its a great place for people to start who want the knowledge and hands on experience who cant afford an Academy right away but want to build credits to transfer to one.

I am actually going the hawespiper route but a person can only read so much before it is just redundant because they never had a chance to work on a certain type of equipment–because they don’t have the experience!!

The program is one class a month, and they are flexible with you if you have a job.

Anyway this is their website http://www.broward.edu/academics/programs/marine/Pages/default.aspx

And who knows…they might get uscg approved in the future…they are still new and I think they are always trying to improve

If you have the money to spend on a non-approved school, go for it. I’m too poor these days to do that.

its 400 dollars a class…

What are the maritime schools you have been to, what classes have you taken, and why have they fallen short compared to this vo-tech community college program ?

wrong thread

Piney point, graduated in a record 7 months…only because I pulled strings, argued, bothered wouldn’t take no for an answer, did everything back to back, already had my ticket to go to the final phase before I got off the ship.

Biggest waste of time, and regret of my life…wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. SIU has got some scam going on

Then CMA thinking, yes its way more expensive but at least I will have the chance to learn and get hands on experience because I am paying right?

NOT. They say its 11 to 1 student teacher ratio but it isnt, its more like 50+ to 1 student/teacher ratio…they make you wait till your later years to get the real knowledge. Also some of the teachers there just graduated and started teaching…no experience what so ever. In the hands on classes, it was like 48 people standing around watching 1 person doing something, and at least 2 people in the back who cant see whats going on at all.

Broward College has boats that were donated…no, not a big ship with humongous systems, but we install all the electrical components, bilge pumps, generator, pumps, hvac, guages, console. Then we uninstall and re install as well as the electronics, radar, gps etc
There’s also diesel’s 1 and diesel’s 2…very in depth as well as marine outboard and inboard.

The teachers, some of the best I’ve seen. Mechanical engineers with years and years of experience.

I can continue on with why CMA was also a scam but I won’t…I know it sounds crazy but this community college has the best marine training I have ever seen.

It doesn’t help much as far as sea time but being a hawsepiper, a challenge I have found on engine side is the lack of licensed engineers willing to share their knowledge (since they went to school and paid for it)

So this I think is a great way to overcome that for anyone who has been in the same boat…

The world is out to get you isn’t it

No, I don’t know what your rating is but I have talked to many unlicensed engine people and they complain engineers don’t want to show them things…which is fine and dandy if you just want to read the books and take a test

its a real problem for unlicensed people trying to become engineers

You are in Lauderdale, why not get on a yacht to get your hawsepiping sea time?

HP limitations

[QUOTE=kfj;116141]The world is out to get you isn’t it[/QUOTE]
Just the SIU…lol!

I have two brothers…one worked for SIU for 8 years, then switched to MFOW…said he made more with MFOW in 3 months than he ever totaled a whole year with SIU. The other brother is leaving shipping all together to get in AS in HVAC from a community college of all places. Says he’s learning more there than he ever did at Piney Point. I think the USCG maritime schools need to step up their game

[QUOTE=cajaya;116142]No, I don’t know what your rating is but I have talked to many unlicensed engine people and they complain engineers don’t want to show them things…which is fine and dandy if you just want to read the books and take a test

its a real problem for unlicensed people trying to become engineers[/QUOTE]

I can’t speak for all Engineers but I took pride in Training all of my AE’s to be able to step into my spot if the need arose. Now someone might say that I was training them to replace me but I guess I did something right as I was a CE for over 25 years, 20 with my last company.

I can even remember the number of Green AE’s that I had over the years but quite a few of them later sailed as CE’s. If you have heard from people that other engineers do not want to train them, I have to wonder how they ever slept with these UNTRAINED people in the ER.

I have just spent some time reading most of your posts and I think that you rally need to look in your mirror to see if that might just be where your problems might be starting. If you come across with this type of attitude when first walking on a vessel I wish you luck as you would not have lasted very long with me.

Just so you know, my company tended to send me some trouble souls that were on their last chance, some did not or could not cut it but I did get quite a few to turn their attitude around and made good engineers out of them.

Best of luck

Engineers not wanting to train them is an excuse. If a person is willing to learn then I will take the time to help them. If I get someone with a bad attitude then I won’t waste my time. Right now I am sailing CE and all my AE are hawsepipers who came up. I show them everything I can. I enjoy it, as well as it make my job easier in the end

I can only speak of the MEBA officers I sailed with. Some of the best. They were all willing to teach. Knowing how to ask the right questions help. Sometimes you will have to pick up a book. In fact a lot of times.

I’m a defensive person, not an offensive one. I don’t walk onto ships with an attitude. I didn’t like the way SIU worked because everytime I got on a ship, people got to know me and realize that i am actually good, then the contact is over and I have to go somewhere else and start over. Or they dont want to show me anything because they know I will be leaving and then they are just going to have to train someone else all over again.

If you saw my attitude in other posts, maybe you could have looked further and see what it was about…not just sporadic out of nowhere. Yes, I am frustrated because I love engineering, and I think Im better than most the guys out there. I just wanted a permanent job with a short rotation which seems to be almost impossible to find.

And yes, I have many complaints about SIU, and CMA but that is because I notice things and I think a lot…maybe more than I should.
Im sticking to my guns though that this community college is the best maritime school for its price… if the main goal is just to become more skilled and get hands on experience…

[QUOTE=cajaya;116164Yes, I am frustrated because I love engineering, and I think Im better than most the guys out there. I just wanted a permanent job with a short rotation which seems to be almost impossible to find.[/QUOTE]

OK, what type of vessels have you worked on? What type of training have you had? You stated that you went thru SIU’s school but the contracts kept ending?? I realize that SIU is not the best but I had had friends in the past that sailed for them and they were fairly happy. My guess is that you were sent on as a relief and the job was temporary. So I guess my next question to you is, How long did you stick it out with SIU?

This forum is full of Merchant Mariners both New and Old Timers and as such we have a very low tolerance for B.S. Now, I am not saying that you are not a good person. I hope that you might just make a great engineer one day. The main problem with forums like this one is all anyone can see is the typed word and any and all personal expressions are lost. So, do your self a favor and step back and read your posts from our side. There have been others that have been here that at first they came across as total Asses but once they stepped back and looked they ended up being welcomed and with that came constructive suggestions.

[QUOTE=Tugs;116165]OK, what type of vessels have you worked on? What type of training have you had? You stated that you went thru SIU’s school but the contracts kept ending?? I realize that SIU is not the best but I had had friends in the past that sailed for them and they were fairly happy. My guess is that you were sent on as a relief and the job was temporary. So I guess my next question to you is, How long did you stick it out with SIU?

This forum is full of Merchant Mariners both New and Old Timers and as such we have a very low tolerance for B.S. Now, I am not saying that you are not a good person. I hope that you might just make a great engineer one day. The main problem with forums like this one is all anyone can see is the typed word and any and all personal expressions are lost. So, do your self a favor and step back and read your posts from our side. There have been others that have been here that at first they came across as total Asses but once they stepped back and looked they ended up being welcomed and with that came constructive suggestions.[/QUOTE]

People who work for SIU and are happy are like horses with blinders on them. I know because I used to be one of them. 5 years with SIU and a little bit feelance. Almost every type of vessel accept for tug and osv. As far as schools go I know quite a few people who pay big bucks to take overpriced classes at MPT or that training school in San Diego…or they spend their vacation time at piney point taking classes that only have power points. I have asked all the ‘good’ electricians.I mean the ones who really know their stuff and they didnt become good from going to piney point, they took a lot of outside classes wherever they can

I have also come across engineers what straight up say that they don’t want to teach people anything because they don’t believe people should be allowed to become engineers without going to an academy.

[QUOTE=cajaya;116315]I have also come across engineers what straight up say that they don’t want to teach people anything because they don’t believe people should be allowed to become engineers without going to an academy.[/QUOTE]

A lot of how you are treated when first come onboard is how you come across. I have had guys come on my vessel and sit there and tell me how much they know and let me tell you these clowns were some of the most poor excuse for an engineer that I ever came across.

There were many times when I worked over on other company vessels for some extra pay. A lot of the time this was as an AE and the first thing I said to the CE was always the same thing, "This is Your Vessel so Tell me How You Want It Done and That’s How I will Do It. One time I had just got onboard when the shit hit the fan. Well after about 12 hours of non stop work the CE and I were sitting in the galley having a cup of coffee. He said man I am glad to have you here, is there anything that I can do to make you stay for the full tour (I was only going to works for around a week). I looked at him and said, well you could give me the big room.

cajaya, I hope that you are getting what I am saying as attitude is everything. You need to be able to read people really fast in this industry as first impressions mean a lot and I do not care if you work on a 60 foot harbor boat or a 1000 + Super Whatever Ship, they all can get small really fast if you can not get along and roll with the Bull Shit.