Brine ruined tank lining

Has anyone had Brine ruin the paint / lining in the tank that it was being stored? What kind of brine? What did you do to prevent it moving forward?

Check with a chemist and find out what chemical will counteract what was in there. U better be quick…

Is the brine for a chill water loop or for sewage effluent? You will need a molybdate based corrosion inhibitor. If a closed loop.

Could be a drilling brine. Zinc bromide or calcium bromide. The zinc is nasty stuff.

It was a drilling brine being stored in a tank, but it made me wonder how the OSV guys have addressed this problem and if anyone else has found a solution.

We have a list of chemicals that we cannot carry in our tanks. The rig must supply a full msds then we have to get approval. Then and only then may we carry anything like that.

Oh, drilling brine…what was the lining? Paint, epoxy?

Well stim vessels haul primarily KCL up 20% dilution in their mud tanks. We also at times carried Nh4Cl, CaCl2 and ZnBr2. At a 10 year dry docking the coating in the tanks was in decent shape. We had one tank isolated for the calcium and zinc based fluids. The coating was definitely sketchy in that one after ten years. We did not use any special coating it was the same one other boats in the fleet used in their mud tanks. I’m sure there are special coatings available but a good freshwater rinse in between uses is a must. If this is a newer vessel and the coating has come off in a short period of time then the procedures for tank prep weren’t followed. That coupled with insufficient curing time or wx conditions can lead to short life span.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;105431]Well stim vessels haul primarily KCL up 20% dilution in their mud tanks. We also at times carried Nh4Cl, CaCl2 and ZnBr2. At a 10 year dry docking the coating in the tanks was in decent shape. We had one tank isolated for the calcium and zinc based fluids. The coating was definitely sketchy in that one after ten years. We did not use any special coating it was the same one other boats in the fleet used in their mud tanks. I’m sure there are special coatings available but a good freshwater rinse in between uses is a must. If this is a newer vessel and the coating has come off in a short period of time then the procedures for tank prep weren’t followed. That coupled with insufficient curing time or wx conditions can lead to short life span.[/QUOTE]

That makes the most sense here…it’s likely a premature coating failure due to bad prep or environmentals…salts don’t usually tear up paint like that. I deal with brine preparations for other purposes and there is usually a corrosion inhibitor involved because the storage and/or head tanks aren’t coated with anything.

Dude i want give you a site link of [B]tank lining systems [/B]it will can help to you because i have already use it and now my tank are fine. All the method and procuder are in there so here i have share this site link.

Land Bound,

Jotun Paints has a good cargo resistance chart for their coatings. It can be found at http://www.jotunprl.com/Search.aspx?c=1
Most coatings makers have similar resources.

Also, the type of coating failure (detachment, discoloration, blistering, etc.) and how long the tank coatings were in place when the failure occurred will be indicative of the source of the problem. If you can send more details, the Forum can point you in the best general direction.