Brain twister

Today’s Brain twister: Master Mariner, U.S. Citizen with less than 1600 GRT U.S. License. Holds a 3000 GT STCW ii/2 Master license issued by STCW compliant country. Question: Can this person sail on a U. S. flag vessel operating in international waters using the authority of his non-U.S. License?

[QUOTE=CaptMike04530;112844]Today’s Brain twister: Master Mariner, U.S. Citizen with less than 1600 GRT U.S. License. Holds a 3000 GT STCW ii/2 Master license issued by STCW compliant country. Question: Can this person sail on a U. S. flag vessel operating in international waters using the authority of his non-U.S. License?[/QUOTE]

Generally, no. He/she needs a document issued by the United States, and the U.S. does not endorse STCW Certificates issued by other countries.

[QUOTE=“CaptMike04530;112844”]Today’s Brain twister: Master Mariner, U.S. Citizen with less than 1600 GRT U.S. License. Holds a 3000 GT STCW ii/2 Master license issued by STCW compliant country. Question: Can this person sail on a U. S. flag vessel operating in international waters using the authority of his non-U.S. License?[/QUOTE]

I believe you must have the proper U.S. license on U.S. flag vessel no matter where the vessel is operating.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;112845]Generally, no. He/she needs a document issued by the United States, and the U.S. does not endorse STCW Certificates issued by other countries.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Mr. Cavo. The conundrum here is the Mariner has hundreds of days service on a U.S. Flag Vessel of 98GRT (U.S. Admeasurement). The SAME vessel is 829GT (ITC measurement). The USCG does not recognize the ITC tonnage when reviewing for license upgrades because sea service occurred in Domestic Waters. Therefore, the Mariner obtained licensure from another country in addition to the U.S. license because other countries DO RECOGNIZE the ITC tonnage for sea service (this is useful for working on foreign flagged vessels).

I have searched the CFR’s and Jones Act for guidance on this subject. There is clearly a requirement for crewmembers to be U.S. Citizens when sailing on U.S. Flagged vessels, however I cannot find a clear citation that would EXCLUDE that same U.S. Citizen from using the authority of his or her international STCW compliant license while sailing in international waters. Can you help with clarification?

Thank You.

P.S. In years gone by, the USCG issued vessel specific endorsements (1600GRT) to the licenses of the Masters of these vessels for international routes. That was back in the days of the REC’s who had specific knowledge of the company’s operations and manning requirements. With the NMC calling the shots now, that would not seem to be a possibility given that someone in authority would actually have to take the time to understand the specifics and make an informed decision (they might not have time for that).

Basically he has to meet the manning requirement for the vessels COI, no matter where it is operating and since the US will not recognize STCW Certificates issued by other countries he would not meet the manning requirements.

46 U.S. Code 8101(g)

[QUOTE=jdcavo;112911]46 U.S. Code 8101(g)[/QUOTE]

Thanks again. For those following along…

46 USC § 8101 - Complement of inspected vessels

I A person may not employ an individual as, and an individual may not serve as, a master, mate, engineer, radio officer, or pilot of a vessel to which this part applies or which is subject to inspection under chapter 33 of this title [U]if the individual is not licensed by the Secretary[/U]. A person (including an individual) violating this subsection is liable to the Government for a civil penalty of not more than $10,000. Each day of a continuing violation is a separate offense.[/I]