Best QMED credential

If I were to only get on QMED credential, which one would be the best? What is the most versitile credential to have? What are most
companies looking for? Also, how do I apply for a STWC?

[QUOTE=Snipemike;124729]If I were to only get on QMED credential, which one would be the best? What is the most versitile credential to have? What are most
companies looking for? Also, how do I apply for a STWC?[/QUOTE]

You apply for STCW just like you apply for QMED to the Coast Guard on the form available on the NMC web site.

Oiler with RFPEW. Shits changing though, so refer to the USCG website for the most up to date info.

Junior Engineer. I have it and work as one now. Make sure you get BST and RFPEW (can be taken as a one week class each). You will have to test for Oiler anyway so get approved for as many ratings as you can.

Thanks, I just tested for jr. engineer and I have 7 more tests to past for additional endorsements? I appreciate all the feedback. Now with to reguards employment, how difficult is ot to find a job right now? I have a few months and I want to use them wisely.

[QUOTE=Snipemike;124729]If I were to only get on QMED credential, which one would be the best? What is the most versitile credential to have? What are most
companies looking for? Also, how do I apply for a STWC?[/QUOTE]

You can get more than one. Except for Deck Engine Mechanic and Emngineman, the service requirements are the same for all QMED endorsements. If you qualify for one, you qualify for them all (there are separate tests for each).

[QUOTE=Snipemike;124792]Thanks, I just tested for jr. engineer and I have 7 more tests to past for additional endorsements? I appreciate all the feedback. Now with to reguards employment, how difficult is ot to find a job right now? I have a few months and I want to use them wisely.[/QUOTE]

Engineers are in demand most anywhere. Also see the thread “Knocking on Doors in Louisiana” for job info and also, some additional STCW requirement info was posted there on the last couple of pages. The maritime security awareness endorsement.

Are you in the service? What are you doing now, may I ask?

[QUOTE=catherder;124891]Engineers are in demand most anywhere. Also see the thread “Knocking on Doors in Louisiana” for job info and also, some additional STCW requirement info was posted there on the last couple of pages. The maritime security awareness endorsement.

Are you in the service? What are you doing now, may I ask?[/QUOTE]

Yes I am currently in the service. I have been to the Baltimore REC and tested. I am assuming that more is better I terms of credentials but I got the one that I wanted. I posted the question because I was thinking of just closing the application with only the Jr. Engineer endorsemnet.

For the STWC, do they usually approve your military training as the training requirement to get the Endorsement? I really appreciate the help.

[QUOTE=Snipemike;125046]Yes I am currently in the service. I have been to the Baltimore REC and tested. I am assuming that more is better I terms of credentials but I got the one that I wanted. I posted the question because I was thinking of just closing the application with only the Jr. Engineer endorsemnet.

For the STWC, do they usually approve your military training as the training requirement to get the Endorsement? I really appreciate the help.[/QUOTE]

Oh, well why don’t you pursue a license? I cannot say for sure about the STCW items, you certainly want to check with the Coast Guard on that one. With such recent service it is a possibility but please check (my service was so long ago that I had to take everything in a classroom setting).

The search function here is very helpful too.

[QUOTE=Snipemike;124792]Thanks, I just tested for jr. engineer and I have 7 more tests to past for additional endorsements? I appreciate all the feedback. Now with to reguards employment, how difficult is ot to find a job right now? I have a few months and I want to use them wisely.[/QUOTE]

From what I have heard DDE’s and Chiefs are in high demand right now…more so than deck officers.

As far as QMEDS go, not sure. Guess it depends which part of the industry you are looking at.