Best classes for employment

OK, y’all, got a question. :smiley:

Last fall I found work as a 100 T captain in the GOM, and was fortunate to get six months in before being recently laid off. My question is, what classes would be best to make myself to be a potentially valuable employee when things turn around, lifeboat or radar unlimited? Both are required for the 500 T ticket.

Within the next year I’d like to get a 500 T license, and need about another 120/180 days on a vessel over 50 tons. I have the BST and AB classes. So would I be better off getting my lifeboat class to get my AB unlimited, or radar class to increase my strenght as a 100 T captain applicant?

With the lifeboat class, I would have both 100 T and AB unlimited as possibile routes to get on a boat. Guess I’m really asking how important is an AB unlimited rating in the GOM?

Yes, it would be nice to get both right now, but time and $$ are a consideration…:o

Many thanks!

You won’t learn much in the lifeboatman class that you probably don’t already know. But standing a watch at night without a radar endorsement - not a warm fuzzy.

So, not sure about employability, but for my money, I’d take the radar class. Followed closely by an ARPA class, as soon as you could afford it.

Radar. All of the bigger companies in the gulf want you to have one. Next would actually be DP, there are more and more boats being built with DP.

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;13626]Radar. All of the bigger companies in the gulf want you to have one. Next would actually be DP, there are more and more boats being built with DP.[/QUOTE]

Gotta agree with Jem. I got this email from a mariner in the gulf that has a DPO:

“…as for DP, it would be good if you at least have the induction class under your belt. Once you have that, you should be able to find something as a Jr DPO. Some companies only want fully certified DPOs but there are plenty that will take you as a jr and let you get your training onboard. You will have to get onboard training in any case. Try to get on with a company that will pay for the 2nd class. You go to the 1st class for a week, its about $2500. Then go out on a boat for at least 30 days training onboard. Then go for your 2nd class, another $2500. Then you need 6 months time on the desk and the captain has to sign you off. Then you send in your logbook (which you get in the 1st class) to the nautical institute and they will send you a certificate. Try to stay on DP class 2 or 3 boats. Otherwise you will be restricted on your DPO certificate. There is plenty of work down here in the gulf if you have a 1600 ton…”

Thanks, Capt Fran and Gemplayer. Looks like I’ll go for radar.

Much appreciated.