Benzene test for the SIU unlicensed apprenticeship program

Well, I tried finding information on the test online but came up with nothing. What is the purpose of this test and how much does it cost??

It’s a simple blood test usually done once a year during the physical. You will need it to sail on tankers. It’s to measure the concentration you may have been exposed to

[QUOTE=UltimateMariner;83854]Well, I tried finding information on the test online but came up with nothing. What is the purpose of this test and how much does it cost??[/QUOTE]
The only physical you have to pay for is the first one when you join or start the apprentice program. After that, annual physicals, CG physicals benzene cards are free.

[QUOTE=brjones;83871]It’s a simple blood test usually done once a year during the physical. You will need it to sail on tankers. It’s to measure the concentration you may have been exposed to[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information. What happens if one gets too much of it in their system? Do they have medicine for it?

If your benzene level gets too high you cant sail on tankers anymore. I think the cutoff is so low that you don’t need medicine, but it shows that you’re absorbing the benzene which is dangerous at higher levels.

Leukemia. No “medicine” can help you at that point.