Being a US Merchant Marine and living all over the world?

I want to be able to live all over the world and experience different cultures and I’m wondering if is possible to let’s say live in Brazil and work with a American company for 4-5 months out the year? or live in Japan or anywhere else in the world?

Sure you can…I work in the Peoples Republic of California and reside in the United States…:smiley:

Depending on the company and how they determine travel pay ,(if they pay travel) as long as you are where you are supposed to be for crew change ,they really don’t care…There are several here that travel thousands of miles for work…

I figured we only have 1 life to live… I want to experience all types of cultures and women ;).

Leekyleek you don’t have to go far.
Visit Alabama, the women are beautiful and the culture is second to none. :smiley:

That is the beauty, of being a sailor…:slight_smile:

you inspire me :slight_smile:

Best part of this job is being able to live were ever you want. Also don’t forget that along with being able to live were ever, if you play your cards right, your paid to see the world. Who’s to say that when you make crew change in some exotic port you don’t hang around a little while and experience that countries women as well?

Any of you guys here in Florida? i need a entry level position? :] point me out in right direction.

It could easily be done. I used to live in russia for 3 years (lots of women :D), never had a problem. As far as travel pay goes. At first the company was reluctant to do it. But I worked out a deal with them so they pay me travel to and from puerto rico (where I’m from) in cash and I ended up paying the difference, not a lot. One ship i worked on, ALL the licensed guys in the E/R lived in Thailand. My buddy lives in spain. I also heard that if you sail on foreign articles and live overseas you don’t have to pay federal taxes. I never tried it though.

Hey Leekyleek–that’s my plan as well! I’ll be starting at SUNY Maritime in August. Best of luck to you!

Fatguy

I’ll bet there are some women right where you’re at who will tell you they’re from any country you want. Save you time and effort. Only problem is, they’re right where you live…

I’m with Capt_Anonymous, better to stay local.

I never have any luck local, but put me 100 miles in any direction away from home and I’m a rock star.

Plus its best to keep them a few miles away form each other. Keeps them from running in to each other.

Ya, I’m with Jemplayer, this local thing can be trickey…My try at local, has netted me 16 years of marital bliss…:wink:

The lost youth in me says, to go for it…

There is nothing like walking off the ship in any number of foreign ports and having your pick of any exotic creature that strikes your fancy…Talk about feeling like a rock star…

Those days were a long time ago and things are different now…The chance of catching something that has life altering effects are very real…But we’ll save that for another thread someday…

[quote=Shellback;14379]Ya, I’m with Jemplayer, this local thing can be trickey…My try at local, has netted me 16 years of marital bliss…:wink:

The lost youth in me says, to go for it…

There is nothing like walking off the ship in any number of foreign ports and having your pick of any exotic creature that strikes your fancy…Talk about feeling like a rock star…

Those days were a long time ago and things are different now…The chance of catching something that has life altering effects are very real…But we’ll save that for another thread someday…[/quote]

Good grief you guys, the only thing you’re gonna find within walking distance of the ship in a foreign port is too scary to even begin to describe… And if you move somewhere, then you’re sampling the local talent. Local is local. It’s all pink, when it comes down to it.

been a single mariner since 1983…learned this early on…still works for me!

**when outport initally utilize one of the better hotels for meals, “entertainment”, and further insight into the “native culture”.

**when at home…become a “hobbist”…over the long haul much more economical to “spot charter” than to “bare boat” lease.

[quote=seadawg;14387]
**when at home…become a “hobbist”…over the long haul much more economical to “spot charter” than to “bare boat” lease.[/quote]

Spot Charter :smiley: … I’ll have to remember that one.

G-Spot charter…ha!

The Navy was very acommodating…They took us to some of the finest third world countries available…:wink:

You can live anywhere in the world and still sail. I know guys who live in the Phillipines, Saipan, Thailand and sail on US flagged vessels. These guys are basically living like kings over there with the amount of money they make a year. Cost of living in cheap over there and you’re making way more than what the locals make. You just have to check with the company or union to see how they’ll pay for your travel. If the company pays for your travel, they’ll usually use the Union headquarters as your homeport. For AMO, it’s Dania Beach and SIU is Piney Point. So you’ll have to pay your own way to Dania or Piney Point, and the company will make the arrangements from there.