Beard Ban At MSC

It’s now been extended to all personnel specifically those in training and assigned to the pool. I understand it while at sea but when I’m sitting in the pool for going on three weeks (as of this post) I would like to have my beard nothing crazy just a neatly kept beard while I twiddle my thumbs waiting for an assignment.

My ship is full of beards. That includes me. Nobody cares. That includes me.

What ship?

Here’s the funny part about the beard ban its enforced until your orders like mine specifically state to grow it out before you travel.

It is now official. The ban is now part of MSC’s Safety Management System. Violate it and your history.

2 Likes

How so?

There’s no chance that’s in any orders…

1 Like

I’m with you there Msceetard, and I second that “bullshit” call. Unless you’re on the Ocean Trader maybe, but that’s not a gray hull.

One could alway do what most mariners don’t. Read the SMS.

Seen it. Read it. Got over it. Moved on.

It’s not about danger, it’s about leadership. Not the Navy version of leadership. No real world leadership and respect.

I’ve been a Mate and a Master. I’m not going to compare who has fought the biggest or most fires. I don’t care. I did my MNTB fire fighting way back in the day when we used negative pressure sets.
With a full beard.
I had just come back to the Uk from the gulf with a beard in January. No way I was going to shave.
The firefighters were betting I would shave by the next day. Buggers burned my ears, singed my hair and singed my beard, with all the snot and sweat I had a perfect seal. No smoke.

So I wouldn’t personally be concerned about having a beard and being required to suit up.

My company decided a couple of decades ago, based on local (WCB) health and safety requirements for fire fighters. Beards would be forbidden.
I was Mate I didn’t have a beard. I didn’t want a beard, I don’t like having a beard. Even so I don’t like being told I can’t have a beard for a stupid chicken shit reason. Most of my deck crew had beards.

The company was chicken shit. They decided to let captains and chief engineers be exempted from this policy.

The day came. When the axe dropped. Direct order to shave issued.

The Capt I worked with at the time. Had a beard from the first day I met him. He was not a guy I got on well with.
The day he issued the order to the rest of us. He shaved first.

I then had to enforce the order. Which required me to suspend, some of my crew. Without pay and order them of the boat.
It was not a good day.

Personally I respected him for the way he gave the order, I was pissed at the company. Two of my crew, even shook my hand and his when I suspended them.
They wanted to make their point which went through a grievance process and arbitration for being disciplined.
The crew lost the arbitration.

To some extent I regret not refusing to shave even though I didn’t have a beard. I decided that really was stupid. Particularly since as a Mate who relieved as Master. It was my job to enforce company policy.

I respected the Capt. He did it right.

Other Capt, who wouldn’t shave, who still issued the order. And were prepared to discipline crew over it.
I didn’t respect, I thought they were chicken shit a-holes, hiding behind a loop hole.

The good leaders shaved.

When the fuss died down my Capt. grew his beard back. Which was fine and dandy. No problem with it water under the bridge.

I don’t have a beard today, my choice. I don’t like not have the choice.
I did have a choice work here or quit.

As Master policy doesn’t apply to me. To this day I believe company policy is poor leadership.

My wife’s Dad was Battalion Chief for VFDP. When he went out to a 3 Alarm call. He had his own driver, for his own vehicle. He set up the command post.

No way, he would be entering, even so up until he retired he was still required to be able to suit up.

Every now and then.

I suit up, for drills. Just because I can.

If I ask someone to do something, I know how to do it. I can do it.
Doesn’t mean I am going to do it. Or will have to do it.

I respect those who I know, know their stuff and can.

MSC have decided to put this policy in place, it will hold up, if challenged.
My opinion the MSC Mates and Master who lead by example will be the ones the crews respect the most.

2 Likes