ATB time count towards 3rd mate unlimited?

In what other country do they even have these arguments? The ATB/ITB class was just a way to circumvent USCG rules for licensed mariner tonnage experience requirements, as well as making the inspections of ATB/ITB vessels not subject to the standards of “ships”. Banana republic standards

3 Likes

I have no idea how much the rules and equipment have changed. The most tonnage I got on my masters license was 1600. The tonnage was unlimited on my Federal pilot licenses which I drew in New Orleans and Miami.back in the day. US vessels only. The barges were over 30k gross tons, the tugs pushing them were 199 grt, 4000 to 7200 HP and 32-34 " draft.on the barge. I always thought the tonnage rules restricted some folks. As you know, I am happily retired and wishing nothing but the best for our hard working mariners. It was kinda compilicated then, much more so now.

As I have mentioned before, the USCG has created an overly complicated licensing system full of unnecessary distinctions without a difference, traps for the honest but unwary, and giveaways for the favored few. Just like the Internal Revenue Code

1 Like

What makes certain Crowley ATBs so special that only these barges provide seatime credit toward Tankerman-PIC without a barge limitation?

As a practical matter, why have two classes of Tankerman-PIC tickets? Is there a real difference between modern ATBs and Tankers in what it takes to be a Tankerman?

The reg you cited specifically only applies to dual mode ITBs.

No, which is why the USCG allows you to apply to have specific ATBs credited as unrestricted pic time.

So the practical thing to do, which would save mariners and shipowners, and the USCG, time and money, would be to drop the barge limitation?

What’s special about these specific ATBs?

1 Like

As far as I know it has nothing to do with Crowley boats. If they’re the only ones that have done it it’s just that other companies haven’t bothered.

If you read the list, it’s not just Crowley. There’s actually quite a few.

There’s a big difference with inland tank barges and tankers, but yeah I agree that it can all be sort of grouped together somehow someway.

30 years ago anyone with a license was automatically permitted to serve as Tankerman on any vessel they were on. That worked pretty well for decades.

I don’t recall any distinction between ships and barges for the STCW version of Tankerman.

This is one place where the US should rationalize it’s certifications and conform to the STCW Tankerman standard. No barge restrictions.

That’s 31 vessels evaluated and approved out of a fleet of how many ATBs?

How much USCG resources were required to do these evaluations.

The USCG’s resources are more desperately needed to fix the mess at NMC.

The biggest difference is between modern ATBs/ships and 20,000 bbl inland tank barges.

1 Like

As an os tankerman, pumped multiple cargos because it paid better than the chief Mate at the time… That changed as I went to better companies, but I was away from home and went after the best dollar for my time away from the family. Had some darn good tankerman while sailing as Master. I knew their job well. Never underestimated their importance.

The funny thing is: the little harbor tankers require Tankermen too. Tankermen without a barge limitation.

Guys working on these little tankers pumping through a 2” hose with cam-locks get seatime credit toward Tankerman-PIC without a barge limitation.

Companies train their new Tankermen anyway. The company training covers a lot more than what the USCG requires.

All about oil in the water.

1 Like

See para. 4.c of NVIC 22-14.

Someone has to request the recognition, and provide copious documentation of the vessel’s particulars. Only a handful operating about 50 vessels did so. (not all were found equivalent).

For each ATB, about an hour of my time.

2 Likes

That was a rhetorical question, right?