Anyone worked in Trinidad?

Just got a call saying that the boat I work on will be heading to Trinidad sometime soon. Not sure what to expect, I’m a mate on the boat and haven’t worked abroad.

How do I go about finding the manning requirements for the country and if I would be replaced with a local? If I were to be replaced by a local I would understand. Just wanting to know what to expect.

Also, if I were to make the trip down there, what should I expect as to the working life in that area?

Thanks guys!

[QUOTE=blaineatk;178288]Just got a call saying that the boat I work on will be heading to Trinidad sometime soon. Not sure what to expect, I’m a mate on the boat and haven’t worked abroad.

How do I go about finding the manning requirements for the country and if I would be replaced with a local? If I were to be replaced by a local I would understand. Just wanting to know what to expect.

Also, if I were to make the trip down there, what should I expect as to the working life in that area?

Thanks guys![/QUOTE]

I have worked in Trini quite a bit but not at sea. Don’t know which company you are sailing for. . . you may just be under contract. . . don’t know. . . but you certainly should have a passport at a minimum. . . if only for crew change or repatriation if you are replaced with a local crew. If yo are working down there, I would imagine that you are living onboard. I, for one, don’t mind it down there, but like any place, some areas are better than others. A lot of work is dispatched out of Chagauramas, and that area is a bit upscale, away from the shipyard, anyway. Other boats run in and out of La Brea and the area around the Pitch Lake. . . Have you never been overseas? Trini isn’t bad. . . English, or at least their version is spoken widely.

Thanks, I currently work for chouest. I’ve got a passport but I have never worked overseas.

I was told today that the rig is going down there and that the contract for my boat is up for renewal. They are terrine to get the contract renewed aND the vessel to work down there. Just wasn’t sure how the manning would be handled. I wouldn’t mind going down there,surely better than the alternative haha!

I believe I have everything required to work down there, just not sure what amount of crew would be kept American.

What Rig did you guys service? Just left TT.

I worked on a boat in Trinidad and the local manning was for local ABs and motormen which was gradually phased in over a few months. The local crew I came across all spoke pretty clear english and were quite good at their jobs. They have a maritime academy in Trinidad, so they must be training mates, don’t know if they are part of the local manning at some point. Try puncheon rum if you have the chance, potent stuff. Can be a little dangerous if you go ashore so be careful there, non-local crew who went ashore would usually go with one of the locals, you generally get left alone if they are with you.

Yeah, what these guys are saying. . . I know many years ago, I was down there on a Glomar rig (see, told you it was a long time ago) that had some damage and was coming into the Gulf of Pariah to drill. They were required to put some locals onboard (don’t know how many or in what positions) because the Glomar personnel folks and trainers were all at the same hotel where we were in Chaguaramas and I had dinner with them all on one occasion. . . . Not sure what the TT requirements are for vessels servicing rigs in their country. As far as going ashore, since it is you first time, I would avoid going it alone and would recommend having one more experienced with you. I take it for granted that I started sailing overseas when I was 19. . . . and in all of my travels, the only place that I have ever been mugged was in the parking lot of a mall in Houston. . . .

Trinidad is a good place to work. If you go there leave your camo at home, only the military can have that fashion down there. Years ago I wandered all over down there and even participated in Carnival. Had a great time and never felt threatened in all the time I was there but I respect the people and the country I am in at the moment. If your vessel ends up there I would guess most slots would be filled by qualified locals eventually depending on the flag state requirements.

I worked down there for a while. Taking the ship down is not bad, flying to Port of Spain can be an experience. There seems to only be a couple airlines that go down there now. United has a couple flights a day from Houston. American has one or two a day that go out of Miami. I have flown both, bring your own food, because they do not even provide a bag of peanuts on either airline. Jet Blue has a flight from Port of Spain to Washington or maybe New York, the guys that flew that route seemed to have better luck. Caribbean air also goes to Miami but then you have to change airlines to a domestic carrier. Seemed much better than the United or American airlines flights.

Once you get on the ground customs is the worst place I have ever seen, expect 1 1/2 to 2 hours most times just to clear customs at the airport. Make sure your company gives you a work visa in writing before you go. Or have a letter stating you are in transit to a ship and not actually working in Trinidad. If you don’t have either of those expect another hour in customs explaining why you are there and to have to pay a 67 dollar visa waiver fee on the spot. You better have the cash with you.

If you take anything camouflage they will take it from you at the airport, even a do rag is a no no. Expect a fine based on the amount of camo you got taken away.

Most of the hotels are very nice, the people a kind of friendly, but as stated above don’t venture out alone at night.

The local labor are generally pretty good, some of the best motorman and electricians I have ever worked with come from there. The local labor is all union and supplied through a hiring agency Buxo TT. If you have a problem they are easily replaced with a call to Buxo. Food is hit and miss. We had one very good camp boss on our rig, and another that was a waste of breathing air for the rest of the people. I do suggest to lock up all your personal belongings. 90 percent of the time there was no problems. We did have one entire crew that got fired for stealing, they were actually going through peoples rooms while they were on watch and helping there self’s. This was only one crew and since we could never pin point the actually culprit the OIM fired the entire bunch.

Trinidad is not bad, way better than most any place in west Africa, but no where where as good as eastern Europe.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;178342]Years ago I wandered all over down there and even participated in Carnival. [/QUOTE]

I went to carnival when I was there, thought it was over rated given that it’s their main tourist attraction. Some people might enjoy it if they are into watching under dressed drunk obese women twerking.

[QUOTE=Irish Pennant;178309]What Rig did you guys service? Just left TT.[/QUOTE]

Deepwater Invictus. I spoke with operations about who would be working down there and at the time got no real clear answer. All I got was that they think officers normally stay on the boat. There wasn’t much certainty, though it did just come into play a few days ago so maybe they are in the process of hammering that out.

Hopefully, I’ll get to go and see a new part of the world! Always wanted to work overseas a little anyway.

• Updated - - -

Thanks everyone! Luckily, I dont wear much camo so that should be easy haha

The rigs in Trinidad look just like they do in Brazil, Africa, GOM, etc. etc.

[QUOTE=seamanstan;178347]I went to carnival when I was there, thought it was over rated given that it’s their main tourist attraction. Some people might enjoy it if they are into watching under dressed drunk obese women twerking.[/QUOTE]

Sounds great…where do I sign?

Well, after a couple emails today I hear that usually mates and DPOs are locals! Gotta find a way to step my game up haha.

Hopefully they will find me a boat in the company. If not, I’m going to post a new thread asking how to get a job offshore and get upset when nobody gives me serious answers.

well atleast you still got ur sense of humor…just stay positive, aggressive, & pray!!

[QUOTE=blaineatk;178447]Hopefully they will find me a boat in the company.[/QUOTE]

The way your company has been doing things recently I would recommend you start writing a resume now. Though there isn’t much work out there.

If that was me, I’d consider it a heads up to start looking for a new job. Is that rig going to work there, if just be stacked with all the others there?

[QUOTE=Ctony;178376]Sounds great…where do I sign?[/QUOTE]

are you a feeder?