Anybody know about P & J Services at Lafayette, LA?

Today, I received forms from the employment agency on subject, asking for ludicrous agency fee as much as 25% of earning when they place me to the maritime jobs.

Is that normal process to get hired through the head hunters?
Will appreciate any suggestions…

A few of the head hunters just bill the company. That way, no cost to you. I have heard of some charging 4 days pay. 25%??? For how long? The duration of the job? I never heard of that company and I am pretty in tune with companies. I’d be a little leery.

Good luck

[QUOTE=CaptRob1;36485]A few of the head hunters just bill the company. That way, no cost to you. I have heard of some charging 4 days pay. 25%??? For how long? The duration of the job? I never heard of that company and I am pretty in tune with companies. I’d be a little leery.

Good luck[/QUOTE]

It says 16 days for the fee. up to 25% is for non-marine employment…And they try to receive my wage directly from the employer by the contract…
I’d bettter pass it.

I don;t know how all of these ‘headhunters’ continue to get away with charging the mariners for thier jobs. I am pretty positive this has been illegal for them to do this since they passed the merchant marine act of 1920- jones act. Might be wrong on some details but have no time to check it out from here at work. I do know that the new IMO regulations-re: year of the seafarer- have reiterated the fact that charging any mariner to get them a job is illegal. If you have to do it, do it but at least try to find one that will charge the company like they are supposed to and if you can;t do that, then find someone who charges the usual 10-15 days of work.
Good luck to you

I sent PM to you…thanks

[QUOTE=JP;36518] I do know that the new IMO regulations-re: year of the seafarer- have reiterated the fact that charging any mariner to get them a job is illegal. Good luck to you[/QUOTE]

Hi, JP. It’s always very good to learn the new thing. I did not know that.

capitanahn,

am reluctant to recommend anyone in these times…but was fed up of all the BS with email/no response, sending out resumes/no response, voicemail/no response, less than responsive gatekeeping receptionists, online applications/no response and the in office 1-2hr application process in order to maybe get an across the desk interview…recently had contact with an agency in Morgan City that you might want to consider…was able to set across for him in his office and look him in the eye…very agressive and was in contact with me daily…numerous leads and 2 interviews all in a 5 day time span…he charges 12 days with no penalty for early termination…straight forward contract…pm me if interested??

further note: although I was able to procure employment on my own will definitely consider using him again if things ever head south!!

[QUOTE=seadawg;36617]capitanahn,

he charges 12 days with no penalty for early termination…straight forward contract…pm me if interested??

further note: although I was able to procure employment on my own will definitely consider using him again if things ever head south!![/QUOTE]

I am really a newbie here, I really don’t understand the conditions you said “he charges 12 days with no penalty for early termination”.
Does that mean “the company can cease to hire you 12 days prior to the contacted terms” ?

[QUOTE=capitanahn;36638]I am really a newbie here, I really don’t understand the conditions you said “he charges 12 days with no penalty for early termination”.
Does that mean “the company can cease to hire you 12 days prior to the contacted terms” ?[/QUOTE]

*the fee is XX days pay that is deducted at a rate of 25% per pay check until satisfied.

*they have power of attorney over your pay check until fee is paid in full.

*the fee is tax deductable.

*if for some reason employment is terminated for any reason by the company or yourself before the contracted fee is paid in full then you are only responsible for a fee of 25% for the duration of your employment…be sure this is understood and contained in the agreement…this keeps the process somewhat honest!!

**advise anyone to get a copy of the contract and fully understand the agreement before signing!!

**figured this way eases the pain somewhat…if you work 240 days the first year…12 days fee / 240 days worked = 5% fee/commission…which is a better deal than professional actors or athletes get from their agent!!

“caveat emptor” and best luck!!

[QUOTE=seadawg;36641]*the fee is XX days pay that is deducted at a rate of 25% per pay check until satisfied.

*if for some reason employment is terminated for any reason by the company or yourself before the contracted fee is paid in full then you are only responsible for a fee of 25% for the duration of your employment…be sure this is understood and contained in the agreement…this keeps the process somewhat honest!!

**advise anyone to get a copy of the contract and fully understand the agreement before signing!!

**figured this way eases the pain somewhat…if you work 240 days the first year…12 days fee / 240 days worked = 5% fee/commission…which is a better deal than professional actors or athletes get from their agent!!

“caveat emptor” and best luck!![/QUOTE]

I print this out and keep it as a bible, thanks again, SD

If you don’t mind me asking, who is this referral agency in Morgan City? I need all the help I can get.

[QUOTE=seadawg;36617]capitanahn,

am reluctant to recommend anyone in these times…but was fed up of all the BS with email/no response, sending out resumes/no response, voicemail/no response, less than responsive gatekeeping receptionists, online applications/no response and the in office 1-2hr application process in order to maybe get an across the desk interview…recently had contact with an agency in Morgan City that you might want to consider…was able to set across for him in his office and look him in the eye…very agressive and was in contact with me daily…numerous leads and 2 interviews all in a 5 day time span…he charges 12 days with no penalty for early termination…straight forward contract…pm me if interested??

further note: although I was able to procure employment on my own will definitely consider using him again if things ever head south!![/QUOTE]

If you don’t mind me asking, who is this referral agency in Morgan City? I need all the help I can get.

I work for OSSA in Youngsvile, La. We hire offshore workers… cooks, galley hands, riggers, etc WHy are ya’ll going through employments agencies that charge you> You are welcome to call our office at 337-451-6537. We also bring you to your job and pick you up and bring you back to the office.

Melissa

[QUOTE=mcourvelle70592;75051]I work for OSSA in Youngsvile, La. We hire offshore workers… cooks, galley hands, riggers, etc WHy are ya’ll going through employments agencies that charge you> You are welcome to call our office at 337-451-6537. We also bring you to your job and pick you up and bring you back to the office.

Melissa[/QUOTE]

OSSA charges you for transportation and also only pays $9 an hour for stewards.

[QUOTE=seadawg;36641]*the fee is XX days pay that is deducted at a rate of 25% per pay check until satisfied.

“caveat emptor” and best luck!![/QUOTE]

A great deal of recruiters charge 14-17 days pay up front, which is kind of crazy IMO. If you pay a fee, you should have a reason for it, either you don’t want to do the footwork looking for a job, you need help getting access, or what the recruiter offers is top notch. I’m one of these headhunters, and here’s what to be wary of: people who want to rush you into a company, especially if you have talked to no one. It’s my personal feeling that if you’re paying, it should be a permanent job with benefits, etc… Find out who the recruiter deals with, examples of companies in his/her portfolio. Do they have references? etc…

We have a contract, that creates no obligation between us and a mariner unless they accept work at a job we’ve gotten you. Some times we have a company that will pay the fee. otherwise, Our contract works like this: 20% over the first 60 days. It’s spread out over the first 60 days as an insurance policy to you so you don’t pay a huge fee if you end up quitting, fired, hurt, whatever…We don’t come after you for a full fee or anything like that, no penalties. We have a POA in which your check is forwarded to us and within 24 hours of payroll receiving it, it is forwarded to your bank account. Permanent jobs with benefits is all that I work. I try to stick with reputable companies, most are well-known like Harley Marine Services, Odyssea/Northbank, or MMS. The way we work is exactly like a Hollywood Agent/Manager and their talent. A lot of top end guys don’t want to do the BS involved in getting a job, but if you’re good at that and don’t mind playing politics, etc…don’t pay the fee and go door knocking. I don’t ditch mariners or not return calls after a mariner is at a job. I frequently give out every number I have. Reason being, I think word of mouth is everything. And, I believe in karma. Most do not because you’re either getting a temp/contract job and the company is paying the fee (actually you really are because you’re not getting your full day rate), or they are hustling into a fly-by-night company with high turnover for a reason.

If I were the man at the top, perhaps I would charge less, but I’m a worker bee… and one that got schooled by companies that lied and mariners who did the same. Be careful regardless, because there is a reason recruiters have a bad name. I would be a lot richer if I could find that high turnover company and fast talk a mariner into going there until he quits or is fired but pays me, never return a call after he’s hired, and repeat steps over and over, so the company can treat folks like crap with increasing intensity no matter what.

One more thing, find out how many lawsuits a recruiting agency has brought and defended. Also, research the company they are sending you to before you go. GCaptain is a great place to hear what people have to say. And, as a rule when several people say generally the same thing, they’re pretty close in their assessment. Lastly, don’t talk to people sitting at a desk like me, talk to your fellow mariners who are in the trenches with you. They are the ones that can tell you how they were treated at a place or by a specific recruiter. The rest of us only know the politics and such. Unfortunately, there are recruiters who take no pride in what they do as far as helping someone gain in their career. They’re only there for legal tender, and wouldn’t know a CAT 3512 from a weedeater.

Hope this helps.

A lawsuit has been filed by maritime attorney Dennis M O’Bryan, Proctor in Admiralty, in the United States District Court, Southern District of Alabama against certain mariner job placement firms, commonly known as “headhunters”, alleging that the way their fees are collected, as a percentage deduction from wages, is an illegal allotment. The lawsuit seeks recovery of the fees charged against the Mariners wages, together with treble and punitive damages.
Further information can be obtained by contacting Mr. O’Bryan at 248-258-6262.

[QUOTE=skycowboy;122117]A lawsuit has been filed by maritime attorney Dennis M O’Bryan, Proctor in Admiralty, in the United States District Court, Southern District of Alabama against certain mariner job placement firms, commonly known as “headhunters”, alleging that the way their fees are collected, as a percentage deduction from wages, is an illegal allotment. The lawsuit seeks recovery of the fees charged against the Mariners wages, together with treble and punitive damages.
Further information can be obtained by contacting Mr. O’Bryan at 248-258-6262.[/QUOTE]

If this stands and actually ends up on a federal level as no argument law, all of Hollywood will crap a golden turkey. There’s only a few trillion dollars to recollect from managers and agents of actors and directors… Can you imagine Joaquin Pheonix doing his on job hunting? Actually, most of the money is from unknown actors who still pay agents and managers for access to jobs… I can see how people would get upset by unscrupulous recruiters. But, it’s an optional service.

I’m interested to know how this turns out. I suppose companies would pay the fee, but they’ll do what they do now, and the mariner ends up getting a lesser day rate. The percentage also seems a much better alternative than a straight fee since this is what is being argued, but maybe I’m missing something. Some of the best engineers I know can’t carry a conversation with operations or personnel or write a resume to save their lives, but I know more than one who have rebuilt a tug boat engine alone more than once.

O’bryan had the best t shirts, and his magnet has adorned my fridge for years!

It appears they’re going after specific agencies as this is directed at Compass. Hell, I hope they bring down the guys who are screwing the pooch. Supposedly Compass guys set the rate before the mariner got there, which I don’t even see how that works, unless the Recruiter was really in bed with a dirty company. USCG didn’t even listen to them about the lawsuit at all, and it hasn’t gained much traction. I think they would have more success if they could find specific recruiters doing specific things, breaking good faith and not divulging complete info, instead of trying to throw out the entire practice as illegal. Working with really green guys who are desperate is how this happens, and you need high volume placement to make money. If they were dealing with big license, high skill level jobs, there wouldn’t be an argument. Then again, there’s very few recruiters who do that.

[QUOTE=“MCRMarcus;122124”]

If this stands and actually ends up on a federal level as no argument law, all of Hollywood will crap a golden turkey. There’s only a few trillion dollars to recollect from managers and agents of actors and directors… Can you imagine Joaquin Pheonix doing his on job hunting? Actually, most of the money is from unknown actors who still pay agents and managers for access to jobs… I can see how people would get upset by unscrupulous recruiters. But, it’s an optional service.[/QUOTE]

It’s illegal for seamen to be charged for job placement, the law does not apply to actors (or athletes). It’s in the US Code and cited in a few threads on this forum. Also, as far as I remember, it doesn’t matter if it is a flat fee or a percentage of income as long as it is paid by the mariner it is illegal.