Another Military Sealift Command thread

So how is the relief situation? Still bad?

So let me get this straight. Your status has to say under review for suitability before you get the call for an interview because my status still says forwarded and my application has been submitted since August 18th. Did they skip over me or something?

that’s how it went for me & everyone else. I have 3 friends & we all applied at the same time. So far theirs haven’t reached the suitability point yet either so don’t feel discouraged. They are going through a big review & hiring process from my understanding.

Received employment offer today! Took about a week after interview. :rolleyes: Note: I am prior service military veteran and may have received vets preference.

congrats!! What position is it for?

Travel2write congrats to you. I’m also a military veteran but my status still says forwarded. When did you apply to MSC?

I applied for the AB position back in May. Received interview last week and job offer today. They advised me too “not give up my employment” as it will still be three more months until medical screening, clearance are completed.

Good luck everyone!

Good Day to all in this thread…

I want to raise this questions to anybody who have works with the MSC in the past or recently…My question to ask, is about CREW ROTATION process… Do They Have The Crew Changes ON TIME? Do You Need Wait For The Relief AVAILABITY? Thank you.

from my understanding is you have to stay out to sea for a minimum four months then you can ask to be relieved but they have to find someone to take your place and that may take awhile but they pay you for the inconvenience. I never worked for msc but this is what the website states & what I’ve heard from current employees.

[QUOTE=josesastre82;147369]Good Day to all in this thread…

I want to raise this questions to anybody who have works with the MSC in the past or recently…My question to ask, is about CREW ROTATION process… Do They Have The Crew Changes ON TIME? Do You Need Wait For The Relief AVAILABITY? Thank you.[/QUOTE]

I have been on several MSC ships as part of the Military detachments. You have to complete 120 days aboard. You can ask for a relief at your 60 day mark. If you do… your relief will be there on time(providing they don’t become unfit or act of god happens). Delays use to happen as people would go unfit for the ships they didn’t want. That shell game has been nipped in the butt for the most part and reliefs are available on time.

Now, if you have a specific qualification, like (Search and rescue swimmer), I have seen delays. However, being in MSC is federal employment. You are at the service of the government and the needs of the country(I.E. the company) and like all federal employees, there are issues.

Good Day to all.

I would like to say Thank You to[B] travel2write[/B]and [B]thatboywes[/B] for the information that you guys have shared and answered the questions that I have raised regarding the CREW ROTATION/RELIEF process of the MSC. Hopefully, in the near future I could be like you and to other regulars to this forum, to be able to give answers and important informations to the particular questions. Good Luck to all.

[QUOTE=travel2write;147186]I applied for the AB position back in May. Received interview last week and job offer today. They advised me too “not give up my employment” as it will still be three more months until medical screening, clearance are completed.

Good luck everyone![/QUOTE]

Just got a rejection letter in the mail after about 3 months. Going to wait until the spring for it to warm up then head to Louisiana.

I applied back on August 20th and was offered a SU position. I completed my Eqip and did my drug test, next is the physical then NEO…

1 Like

Shaqfu so you said you applied on August 20th and congrats on the offer but when did you get called for your interview? I applied back on August 18th and I haven’t heard anything. My status still shows as forwarded. Also was the Eqip difficult to complete. I heard it’s a questionaire but what kinds of things are asked on the questionaire?

Anybody hear anything new?

I received a notice last week saying that I was qualified, but not selected. I guess SIU is my destiny!

congrats on siu!!! That’s a really good program. I had an interview two weeks ago with MSC and still waiting on their decision. If I don’t get it I’m just going to pay for my basic training and join the union. The suck part is I’ll start of wit C books. Going through the school you will come out with B books and some really good training.

[QUOTE=thatboywes;147734]congrats on siu!!! That’s a really good program. I had an interview two weeks ago with MSC and still waiting on their decision. If I don’t get it I’m just going to pay for my basic training and join the union. The suck part is I’ll start of wit C books. Going through the school you will come out with B books and some really good training.[/QUOTE]

I went to the seafarers union in Jacksonville, FL with all my licenses in hand after getting turned away from MSC after three months. They were so disrespectful and there was no way possible I would join them without going through the entry program.

Also if anybody knows how to apply and actually get into to the SIU apprentice program at Piney Pointe any information would be greatly appreciated.

The most wonderful maritime union, the SIU, was disrespectful? I am shocked.

[QUOTE=ordinary_seaman;147755]I went to the seafarers union in Jacksonville, FL with all my licenses in hand after getting turned away from MSC after three months. They were so disrespectful and there was no way possible I would join them without going through the entry program.

Also if anybody knows how to apply and actually get into to the SIU apprentice program at Piney Pointe any information would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

http://seafarers.org/jobs/ua.html